Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Wide Screen not wide enough?

Reply
Thread Tools

Wide Screen not wide enough?

 
 
~P~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-14-2006
How's this example look?

http://www.avintegrated.com/aspect_ratios

Make some sense of things?


<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
I was at the store looking at some wide screen monitors. I also saw
some wide-screen television. I noticed that some wide screen television
were displaying movies with "black bar" on top and bottom - just like
4:3 type televison. I asked the employe, however, that didn't make
sense to me. Does anyone know why wide-screen monitor will be
displaying black bars?

Does anyone know if I'll have same type of problem if I buy wide-screen
monitor?

Any help would be appricated.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
John Savard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-21-2006
On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 08:56:21 -0700, "M.B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote, in
part:

>They were most likely showing a 2.35:1 film. That ratio is wider than
>the 16X9 of a widescreen TV. So it will give you black bars on those
>type of movies. So the answer to your question is that you will have
>this feature. It's not a problem.


In addition, though, I've recently found out - thanks to an E-mail about
my web site - that some TV sets sold as widescreen have a 15:9 aspect
ratio instead of 16:9.

John Savard
http://www.quadibloc.com/index.html
_________________________________________
Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download
http://www.usenetzone.com to open account
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
unclejr
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-21-2006
John Savard wrote:
> In addition, though, I've recently found out - thanks to an E-mail about
> my web site - that some TV sets sold as widescreen have a 15:9 aspect
> ratio instead of 16:9.


Like which ones? This is the first I've ever heard of this. Weird.

-Junior

 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard C.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-21-2006
X-No-archive: yes


"John Savard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 08:56:21 -0700, "M.B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote, in
> part:
>
>>They were most likely showing a 2.35:1 film. That ratio is wider than
>>the 16X9 of a widescreen TV. So it will give you black bars on those
>>type of movies. So the answer to your question is that you will have
>>this feature. It's not a problem.

>
> In addition, though, I've recently found out - thanks to an E-mail about
> my web site - that some TV sets sold as widescreen have a 15:9 aspect
> ratio instead of 16:9.
>


======================================
Care to list some?

 
Reply With Quote
 
Joshua Zyber
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-21-2006
"John Savard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In addition, though, I've recently found out - thanks to an E-mail
> about
> my web site - that some TV sets sold as widescreen have a 15:9 aspect
> ratio instead of 16:9.


No they don't. 16:9 is the widescreen standard.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Freda
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-24-2006
"Joshua Zyber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:CY32g.7337$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> "John Savard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In addition, though, I've recently found out - thanks to an E-mail about
>> my web site - that some TV sets sold as widescreen have a 15:9 aspect
>> ratio instead of 16:9.

>
> No they don't. 16:9 is the widescreen standard.
>

Oh yes they do (this sounds like a pantomime). I made a thorough
investigation of this prior to purchasing a plasma, and many LCD TV screens
are actually a physical 15:9 ratio. This is fact, not rumour, and has been
mentioned on several occasions in reviews in specialist magazines.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jeff Rife
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-24-2006
Freda ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
> > No they don't. 16:9 is the widescreen standard.
> >

> Oh yes they do (this sounds like a pantomime). I made a thorough
> investigation of this prior to purchasing a plasma, and many LCD TV screens
> are actually a physical 15:9 ratio. This is fact, not rumour, and has been
> mentioned on several occasions in reviews in specialist magazines.


OK, so name one model that is 15:9.

There are (were?) some 14:9 TVs intended for Europe, and some newer LCDs
are 16:10, and many plasmas (and LCDs?) use non-square pixels so the
pixel count ratio isn't 16:9, but I don't know of any displays with a
physical aspect ratio of 15:9.

--
Jeff Rife | "In those days Mars was a dreary uninhabitable
| wasteland much like Utah, but unlike Utah, Mars
| was eventually made livable."
| -- Professor Farnsworth, "Futurama"
 
Reply With Quote
 
Freda
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-25-2006
"Jeff Rife" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> OK, so name one model that is 15:9.
>
> There are (were?) some 14:9 TVs intended for Europe, and some newer LCDs
> are 16:10, and many plasmas (and LCDs?) use non-square pixels so the
> pixel count ratio isn't 16:9, but I don't know of any displays with a
> physical aspect ratio of 15:9.
>
>

I'm not on about the pixel count, as that rarely equates to 16:9 on plasmas,
and isn't really an accurate guide, I'm on about the physical aspect ratio
of quite a few LCDs that were being manufactured (I'm talking about the
European market here). The TVs I am on about were on sale about 1 or 2 years
ago, I spent a lot of time calculating the physical aspect ratios of many
LCDs at the time, and discounted several from my shortlist of potential TVs
due to their 15:9 aspect ratio, which was as much a surprise to me as it was
to the TV dealers that I informed of this situation. I even did a physical
check on the screen dimensions of a few of these suspect LCDs, just to
confirm that these supposedly 'widescreen' TVs weren't actually 16:9 ratio.
I haven't got this information to hand any more now as I decided to go for a
HD plasma in the end, but it was also mentioned in articles in specialist
mags, which I've unfortunately binned now.

I can understand your sceptisim that 15:9 ratio LCDs were actually being
sold, as some of the dealers weren't aware of this either until I showed
them.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jeff Rife
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-25-2006
Freda ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
> I'm not on about the pixel count, as that rarely equates to 16:9 on plasmas,
> and isn't really an accurate guide, I'm on about the physical aspect ratio
> of quite a few LCDs that were being manufactured (I'm talking about the
> European market here).


Yes, I know that there were 14:9 sets for Europe. They may have had
a 15:9 screen with no actual pixels at the sides, but the viewable area
was 14:9.

> The TVs I am on about were on sale about 1 or 2 years
> ago, I spent a lot of time calculating the physical aspect ratios of many
> LCDs at the time, and discounted several from my shortlist of potential TVs
> due to their 15:9 aspect ratio, which was as much a surprise to me as it was
> to the TV dealers that I informed of this situation. I even did a physical
> check on the screen dimensions of a few of these suspect LCDs, just to
> confirm that these supposedly 'widescreen' TVs weren't actually 16:9 ratio.


So, you don't remember *anything* about any of these supposed TVs so that
you can look them up on Google...I don't think they would completely
disappear in just two years.

Yeah, I'm pretty sceptical.

--
Jeff Rife | "...the flames began at a prophylactic recycling
| plant, near the edge of the forest..."
|
| -- "WarGames"
 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard C.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-25-2006
X-No-archive: yes

"Jeff Rife" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> Yes, I know that there were 14:9 sets for Europe. They may have had
> a 15:9 screen with no actual pixels at the sides, but the viewable area
> was 14:9.


========================
My 11 year old Pioneer Cinema Wide RPTV is 1.50:1 (about 14:9/15:9)
It was never sold as a "wide screen" set.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: DSLR lenses not good wide open at wide angle? Dauphin de Viennois Digital Photography 2 07-16-2008 12:29 PM
Wide screen vs. standard screen monitor eganders Computer Information 2 11-16-2006 07:53 PM
Not many "wide-angle" compacts but, heck, many are wide-angle anyway! JeffOYB@hotmail.com Digital Photography 10 01-09-2006 08:30 AM
How can I replace a DVD's wide screen movie with a full screen movie from another DVD? blackhole@aol.com DVD Video 15 10-19-2005 02:53 PM
char 8bit wide or 7bit wide in c++? Web Developer C++ 2 07-31-2003 08:09 AM



Advertisments