Allan

http://www.animationmagazine.net/art...rticle_id=5258

DVD Sales Join CD Sales—Heading South
Thursday, April 06, 2006
By: Chris Grove

Has the DVD market finally reached the saturation point? One of the
most successful consumer products in modern history, home video sales
fell the first quarter of 2006 4.3% and video rentals sagged 4.4%,
according to a report in The Hollywood Reporter.

That’s a stat that’s being obscured somewhat by the big recent debut
of Disney’s The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the
Wardrobe DVD which sold 4 million units on Tuesday, its first day in
the store. Brokeback Mountain sold 1.4 million its first day, a strong
number for a drama.

In addition to softening demand (and perhaps because of it) the
numbers of DVD releases in the first quarter of 2006 were down 14%
from the same period last year. This is the first year the new release
schedule has tightened since the DVD format was introduced in spring
1997.

Meanwhile, the latest (and, we’re sure, not the last) iteration of
King Kong had a big week last week in DVD sales and rentals. The Peter
Jackson film sold 6.5 million units the week ending April 2nd. Memoirs
of a Geisha pulled up a distant second with about 1.25 million units.

For all of Kong’s romantic élan, Geisha maybe the perfect date-night
rental. With a reported $5.9 million in rental revenues, the film
trailed Kong rentals by just half-a-million dollars. The leader the
week before, Chicken Little dropped to third place.

- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

Galley

For me personally, I have nearly every favorite older movie I could want. Other
than a few new releases, I haven't been buying much lately.

Galley

Mark Jones

Allan wrote:
> Has the DVD market finally reached the saturation point?

They have raised the average purchase price and I quit buying
hardly any DVDs. I was buying about $1000 of DVDs per year
and I have almost stopped.

In my opinion, the distributors have gotten gready and it has hurt
sales. I am seeing way too many DVDs going for over $20, when
it used to be that it was rare to see a price over $20 unless it was
a Superbit DVD.

Richard C.

"Mark Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsbPZf.1772$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> Allan wrote:
>> Has the DVD market finally reached the saturation point?

> They have raised the average purchase price and I quit buying
> hardly any DVDs. I was buying about $1000 of DVDs per year
> and I have almost stopped.
>
> In my opinion, the distributors have gotten gready and it has hurt
> sales. I am seeing way too many DVDs going for over $20, when
> it used to be that it was rare to see a price over $20 unless it was
> a Superbit DVD.

===============================
Where are you buying them?
With price matching, etc, I still get most new movies for $15 to $18 each.

No increases that I have noted.

Kimba W. Lion

Allan <Spamsuckhard@finallykantica22admitstobebrianlamb. org> wrote:

>http://www.animationmagazine.net/art...rticle_id=5258
>
>home video sales
>fell the first quarter of 2006 4.3% and video rentals sagged 4.4%,
>
>In addition to softening demand (and perhaps because of it) the
>numbers of DVD releases in the first quarter of 2006 were down 14%

Wait a minute... What is the cause and what is the effect?
With 14% less new product, sales were only down 4.3%?
Doesn't sound like a softening market to me. Sounds like the producers are
getting lazy.

Deborah A Proctor

"Allan" <Spamsuckhard@finallykantica22admitstobebrianlamb. org> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.animationmagazine.net/art...rticle_id=5258
>
> DVD Sales Join CD Sales-Heading South
> Thursday, April 06, 2006
> By: Chris Grove
>
> Has the DVD market finally reached the saturation point? One of the
> most successful consumer products in modern history, home video sales
> fell the first quarter of 2006 4.3% and video rentals sagged 4.4%,
> according to a report in The Hollywood Reporter.
>
> That's a stat that's being obscured somewhat by the big recent debut
> of Disney's The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the
> Wardrobe DVD which sold 4 million units on Tuesday, its first day in
> the store. Brokeback Mountain sold 1.4 million its first day, a strong
> number for a drama.

<snipped below>

So 100 mil for King Kong in one week in DVD sales means nothing?

Debbie Proctor

Invid Fan

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Kimba W. Lion
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Allan <Spamsuckhard@finallykantica22admitstobebrianlamb. org> wrote:
>
> >http://www.animationmagazine.net/art...rticle_id=5258
> >
> >home video sales
> >fell the first quarter of 2006 4.3% and video rentals sagged 4.4%,
> >
> >In addition to softening demand (and perhaps because of it) the
> >numbers of DVD releases in the first quarter of 2006 were down 14%

> Wait a minute... What is the cause and what is the effect?
> With 14% less new product, sales were only down 4.3%?
> Doesn't sound like a softening market to me. Sounds like the producers are
> getting lazy.

It means that they're not releasing titles they don't think will sell,
or at least delaying them. The 14% they didn't put out, assuming the
choices were based on previous sales of similar films, probably
wouldn't have made enough to cover costs.

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

Justin

Allan wrote on [Fri, 07 Apr 2006 21:59:41 -0400]:
> http://www.animationmagazine.net/art...rticle_id=5258
>
> DVD Sales Join CD Sales—Heading South
> Thursday, April 06, 2006
> By: Chris Grove
>
> Has the DVD market finally reached the saturation point? One of the
> most successful consumer products in modern history, home video sales
> fell the first quarter of 2006 4.3% and video rentals sagged 4.4%,
> according to a report in The Hollywood Reporter.

Once you collect all the older titles you want it's obvious you buy
fewer titles altogether.

despondent

My issue is different... I'm tired of the new product pattern where on
a new release a single-disc version, pretty much movie-only, is $15
and a double-disc set with extras is $25. Potter 4 did this, Narnia
and others did this. Back in the old days you could get the 2-disc
version on release day for $16-17.

So to me $15 for movie-only is an overpayment and I just rent for the
most part.

>In my opinion, the distributors have gotten gready and it has hurt
>sales. I am seeing way too many DVDs going for over $20, when
>it used to be that it was rare to see a price over $20 unless it was
>a Superbit DVD.

Invid Fan

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, despondent
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> My issue is different... I'm tired of the new product pattern where on
> a new release a single-disc version, pretty much movie-only, is $15
> and a double-disc set with extras is $25. Potter 4 did this, Narnia
> and others did this. Back in the old days you could get the 2-disc
> version on release day for $16-17.
>
> So to me $15 for movie-only is an overpayment and I just rent for the
> most part.

If everyone does that, they'll stop. However, you can't blame them for
trying to find out if people will buy the movie without the extras
(saving the studio the cost of making them), and/or if people are
willing to pay for those extras.

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS