Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Netflix sues Blockbuster

Netflix sues Blockbuster

wunnuy

Now Netflix thinks they invented the online DVD rental process. It's
amazing. Maybe Blockbuster can sue them back claiming they invented
renting DVDs in the first place.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/media/...s_x.htm?csp=24

Barry McCockiner

I wonder if the throttling process is patented as well?

Impmon

On 4 Apr 2006 19:50:46 -0700, "wunnuy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Now Netflix thinks they invented the online DVD rental process. It's
>amazing. Maybe Blockbuster can sue them back claiming they invented
>renting DVDs in the first place.
>
>http://www.usatoday.com/money/media/...s_x.htm?csp=24

The sad thing is the only real winner in this case are the lawyers.
Spam block in place, no emil reply is expected at all.

The Man With No Name

"Impmon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 4 Apr 2006 19:50:46 -0700, "wunnuy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Now Netflix thinks they invented the online DVD rental process. It's
>>amazing. Maybe Blockbuster can sue them back claiming they invented
>>renting DVDs in the first place.
>>
>>http://www.usatoday.com/money/media/...s_x.htm?csp=24

> The sad thing is the only real winner in this case are the lawyers.

Sure, but on a more optimistic note; the only real losers are Netflix (I
don't know if they have an Australian branch, but I wouldn't rent from them
anyway after hearing about their throttling) and Blockbuster (the name
synonymous with Late Fees and Mutilated Movies. (I actually do rent from the
local Blockbuster, but in Australia they don't mutilate their movies, and
the local store at least is very good about late-fees.)

Nonymous

Impmon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:98s63216bthnthmkgloakhu03fi1pujp1o@
4ax.com:

> On 4 Apr 2006 19:50:46 -0700, "wunnuy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Now Netflix thinks they invented the online DVD rental process. It's
>>amazing. Maybe Blockbuster can sue them back claiming they invented
>>renting DVDs in the first place.
>>
>>http://www.usatoday.com/money/media/...s_x.htm?csp=24

> The sad thing is the only real winner in this case are the lawyers.

Even sadder is the U.S. Patent Office let Netflix 'patent' their 'business
methodology'. I think Blockbuster should file a countersuit. Against the
patent office.

cobbcity@snet.net

AGREED!

1. The US Patent office should have never issued the patents to
Netflix.
2. This just creates bad PR for Netflix.

It's as if Wal-Mart applied for and received a patent on "a store where
customers select their merchandise then come to the front of the store,
where a cashier totals their purchase and collects payment" and then
Wal-Mart sued every other retailer (Target, Home Depot, Kolh's etc.)
that had a store with registers in front where customers checked out
(like 99% of all stores).

The Patent office screwed up big time. Netflix is going to blow money
on a lawsuit that accomplishes nothing.

wunnuy

> AGREED!
>
> 1. The US Patent office should have never issued the patents to
> Netflix.
> 2. This just creates bad PR for Netflix.
>
> It's as if Wal-Mart applied for and received a patent on "a store where
> customers select their merchandise then come to the front of the store,
> where a cashier totals their purchase and collects payment" and then
> Wal-Mart sued every other retailer (Target, Home Depot, Kolh's etc.)
> that had a store with registers in front where customers checked out
> (like 99% of all stores).

Plus there are other smaller companies doing it too - why doesn't
netflix sue them? I think all this is just another step in the end
result of another big DVD by mail company starting up.

Impmon

On 5 Apr 2006 08:44:02 -0700, "wunnuy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Plus there are other smaller companies doing it too - why doesn't
>netflix sue them? I think all this is just another step in the end
>result of another big DVD by mail company starting up.

Going after big name like Blockbuster tended to get better results
than going after smaller companies that not many people knows about.

IMO Netflix should drop the lawsuit, it's not something they can win.

Impmon wrote:
> On 5 Apr 2006 08:44:02 -0700, "wunnuy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> Going after big name like Blockbuster tended to get better results
> than going after smaller companies that not many people knows about.
>
> IMO Netflix should drop the lawsuit, it's not something they can win.

Of course you're talking about a company that admittedly throttles
people (which results in them leaving the service) under the pretense
this will save them money. They're not the brightest company in the
world. I said it before, I'll say it again, there will be another
company at some point that will blow these other two out of the water.
BB is just a poorly managed company and Netflix is sleazy.

Tim V.

Barry McCockiner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:040420062307049771%
(E-Mail Removed):

> I wonder if the throttling process is patented as well?

ROTFLMAO!!

--
Tim.

"Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve neither
liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own
reputation. It is better to be alone than in bad company" - George
Washington