Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Playback of PAL DVD on NTSC TV

Playback of PAL DVD on NTSC TV

Den Murray

All:

In general, what is the quality of the conversion from PAL->NTSC on DVD
players that have a built-in video standards conversion e.g. some of the JVC
models?

Best

Den

Patrick

Great for me and my Cyberhome 1600

Den Murray wrote:

> All:
>
> In general, what is the quality of the conversion from PAL->NTSC on DVD
> players that have a built-in video standards conversion e.g. some of the JVC
> models?
>
> Best
>
> Den

Mal

"Den Murray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> All:
>
> In general, what is the quality of the conversion from PAL->NTSC on DVD
> players that have a built-in video standards conversion e.g. some of the
> JVC models?
>
> Best
>
> Den

Always wondered if the actual DVD has a video standard itself or if it just
has a region code and the player converts the DVD data to PAL / NTSC / SECAM
etc.

The player doing the video signal would make more sense to me as the whole
of Europe is R2 yet some areas are PAL and some SECAM

anyone know for sure?

Mal

markymark

Den Murray wrote:
> All:
>
> In general, what is the quality of the conversion from PAL->NTSC on DVD
> players that have a built-in video standards conversion e.g. some of the JVC
> models?

Conversion is great on my OPPO OPDV971H

Richard

On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 08:55:31 +0100, "Mal" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>The player doing the video signal would make more sense to me as the whole
>of Europe is R2 yet some areas are PAL and some SECAM

Yes Europe is R2. But there is no such thing as a Secam DVD.
In Europe all DVD are PAL system. Secam is only a broadcasting
system in France and some East-European countries (such as
Russia). All DVD players in Europe can read PAL and NTSC
Dvd. All PAL Dvd are encoded with 720*576 pictures and
a frame rate of 50 Hz (that is 25 images per second).

By the way, Japan is also R2 but they use NTSC.

Mal

"Richard" <*core*(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 08:55:31 +0100, "Mal" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>The player doing the video signal would make more sense to me as the whole
>>of Europe is R2 yet some areas are PAL and some SECAM
>>

> Yes Europe is R2. But there is no such thing as a Secam DVD.
> In Europe all DVD are PAL system. Secam is only a broadcasting
> system in France and some East-European countries (such as
> Russia). All DVD players in Europe can read PAL and NTSC
> Dvd. All PAL Dvd are encoded with 720*576 pictures and
> a frame rate of 50 Hz (that is 25 images per second).
>
> By the way, Japan is also R2 but they use NTSC.

so ... being that R2 covers PAL, SECAM and NTSC standards there's no such
thing as an NTSC, PAL or SECAM DVD ... only the region coding ... so there's
no conversion of the video from PAL > NTSC > SECAM etc. ... the only
conversion is from the digital data on the disc to a video signal. If your
player is multi-region then it's going to display a R2 disc as good as it'll
show a R1 disc.

Mike S.

In article <4430d4ee$0$28908$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Mal <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"Den Murray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> All:
>>
>> In general, what is the quality of the conversion from PAL->NTSC on DVD
>> players that have a built-in video standards conversion e.g. some of the
>> JVC models?
>>
>> Best
>>
>> Den

>Always wondered if the actual DVD has a video standard itself or if it just
>has a region code and the player converts the DVD data to PAL / NTSC / SECAM
>etc.
>
>The player doing the video signal would make more sense to me as the whole
>of Europe is R2 yet some areas are PAL and some SECAM
>
>anyone know for sure?

http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#1.19

John Howells

"Mal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> so ... being that R2 covers PAL, SECAM and NTSC standards there's no such
> thing as an NTSC, PAL or SECAM DVD ... only the region coding ... so

there's
> no conversion of the video from PAL > NTSC > SECAM etc. ... the only
> conversion is from the digital data on the disc to a video signal. If your
> player is multi-region then it's going to display a R2 disc as good as

it'll
> show a R1 disc.

No. There is more than just the region coding. An R2 disk for Japan is
different from an R2 disk for Europe.

There are two basic video encoding standards, 720x576 and 720x480 (Pixels
Horizontal x Pixels Vertical). So-called PAL disks use the former and NTSC
disks use the latter. See http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#3.4

The end result is that there *IS* video standards conversion when a PAL disk
is played back on an NTSC only TV.

John Howells

Biz

There is no such thing as a a SECAM DVD......
But there are PAL and NTSC DVDs.......hopefully that is clear to you now..

"Mal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:44311be0$0$12010$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Richard" <*core*(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 08:55:31 +0100, "Mal" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:
> >

> >>The player doing the video signal would make more sense to me as the

whole
> >>of Europe is R2 yet some areas are PAL and some SECAM
> >>

> > Yes Europe is R2. But there is no such thing as a Secam DVD.
> > In Europe all DVD are PAL system. Secam is only a broadcasting
> > system in France and some East-European countries (such as
> > Russia). All DVD players in Europe can read PAL and NTSC
> > Dvd. All PAL Dvd are encoded with 720*576 pictures and
> > a frame rate of 50 Hz (that is 25 images per second).
> >
> > By the way, Japan is also R2 but they use NTSC.
> >

> so ... being that R2 covers PAL, SECAM and NTSC standards there's no such
> thing as an NTSC, PAL or SECAM DVD ... only the region coding ... so

there's
> no conversion of the video from PAL > NTSC > SECAM etc. ... the only
> conversion is from the digital data on the disc to a video signal. If your
> player is multi-region then it's going to display a R2 disc as good as

it'll
> show a R1 disc.

Gary

"Den Murray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> All:
>
> In general, what is the quality of the conversion from PAL->NTSC on DVD
> players that have a built-in video standards conversion e.g. some of the

JVC
> models?

If the PAL DVD is 4:3 and full screen, or letter boxed, it should be ok,
however the display of the PAL scan lines thru conversion will vary by
player.

If the PAL DVD is Anamorphic Widescreen 16:9 it may not work properly and
only a few NTSC/PAL players can scale a Anamorphic PAL disc to a NTSC TV.

PAL playback on NTSC Den Murray DVD Video 6 06-21-2006 11:35 PM
Convert a Pal DVD change to a NTSC DVD Bun Mui Computer Support 3 01-16-2005 08:55 AM
Convert Pal DVD to NTSC DVD Roger L. Main DVD Video 6 08-06-2004 07:40 PM
NTSC/PAL playback Tom DVD Video 3 04-20-2004 10:05 PM
NTSC-PAL-NTSC question You DVD Video 4 12-17-2003 08:40 PM

Advertisments