Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > What my computer tells me apropos Region coding

What my computer tells me apropos Region coding

Ken

Hi guys. Any thoughts on the following?

I'm a movie buff (in Australia, which is Region 4) and get sent DVDs,
including commercial ones, from friends around the world.

But my new Acer laptop computer tells me that I must nominate just one
Region for it to play DVDs from. (As a sop, I guess, it allows me 5
initial plays from anywhere, but after that I must settle for whichever
Region I finally select.)

Can this unfair restriction be circumvented?

Replies direct to my email address (<(E-Mail Removed)>) are fine.

Thanks - Ken

Johnjd

There is a software product called AnyDVD by www.slysoft.com which will do
what you are asking for!

John

"Ken" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi guys. Any thoughts on the following?
>
> I'm a movie buff (in Australia, which is Region 4) and get sent DVDs,
> including commercial ones, from friends around the world.
>
> But my new Acer laptop computer tells me that I must nominate just one
> Region for it to play DVDs from. (As a sop, I guess, it allows me 5
> initial plays from anywhere, but after that I must settle for whichever
> Region I finally select.)
>
> Can this unfair restriction be circumvented?
>
> Replies direct to my email address (<(E-Mail Removed)>) are fine.
>
> Thanks - Ken

Joshua Zyber

"Ken" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:442d1bcb$0$20116$(E-Mail Removed) u...
> Thanks, John. I'll investigate!

There's another one at www.dvdidle.com that works as well.

Ken

Johnjd wrote:
> There is a software product called AnyDVD by www.slysoft.com which will do
> what you are asking for!
>
> John
>
> "Ken" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Hi guys. Any thoughts on the following?
>>
>>I'm a movie buff (in Australia, which is Region 4) and get sent DVDs,
>>including commercial ones, from friends around the world.
>>
>>But my new Acer laptop computer tells me that I must nominate just one
>>Region for it to play DVDs from. (As a sop, I guess, it allows me 5
>>initial plays from anywhere, but after that I must settle for whichever
>>Region I finally select.)
>>
>>Can this unfair restriction be circumvented?
>>
>>Replies direct to my email address (<(E-Mail Removed)>) are fine.
>>
>>Thanks - Ken

Thanks, John. I'll investigate!

- Ken

Stan Brown

Fri, 31 Mar 2006 20:54:52 +1000 from Ken <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> I'm a movie buff (in Australia, which is Region 4) and get sent DVDs,
> including commercial ones, from friends around the world.
>
> But my new Acer laptop computer tells me that I must nominate just one
> Region for it to play DVDs from. (As a sop, I guess, it allows me 5
> initial plays from anywhere, but after that I must settle for whichever
> Region I finally select.)

Sounds like maybe it was done with the US market in mind. My Acer
laptop has the same restriction -- limit of 5 changes and then you're
"stuck like it". IIRC, this is a matter of US law for any equipment
manufactured after a certain date and sold here. Of course it was
done at the behest of the Hollywood industry.

> Can this unfair restriction be circumvented?

Yes, there are numerous software products.
"Region free" and "DVD software"
should be a good Google search, if someone doesn't reply in this
thread. (I've actually never played anything but Region 1, so the
getting around the restriction isn't a big priority for me.)

> Replies direct to my email address (<(E-Mail Removed)>) are fine.

Fine with you, maybe, but they deprive others of the answers. It's
not just the current readers, but future folks searching the archives
who benefit from public answers.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Ken

Stan Brown wrote:
> Fri, 31 Mar 2006 20:54:52 +1000 from Ken <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
>>I'm a movie buff (in Australia, which is Region 4) and get sent DVDs,
>>including commercial ones, from friends around the world.
>>
>>But my new Acer laptop computer tells me that I must nominate just one
>>Region for it to play DVDs from. (As a sop, I guess, it allows me 5
>>initial plays from anywhere, but after that I must settle for whichever
>>Region I finally select.)

> Sounds like maybe it was done with the US market in mind. My Acer
> laptop has the same restriction -- limit of 5 changes and then you're
> "stuck like it". IIRC, this is a matter of US law for any equipment
> manufactured after a certain date and sold here. Of course it was
> done at the behest of the Hollywood industry.
>

>>Can this unfair restriction be circumvented?

> Yes, there are numerous software products.
> "Region free" and "DVD software"
> should be a good Google search, if someone doesn't reply in this
> thread. (I've actually never played anything but Region 1, so the
> getting around the restriction isn't a big priority for me.)
>

>>Replies direct to my email address (<(E-Mail Removed)>) are fine.

> Fine with you, maybe, but they deprive others of the answers. It's
> not just the current readers, but future folks searching the archives
> who benefit from public answers.

My thanks to Stan and other respondents to my post. I have found a free
product called DVD43 (version 3.7.0) which has worked a treat!

Thanks - Ken

Geoff B

"Ken" reported...

> My thanks to Stan and other respondents to my post. I have found a free
> product called DVD43 (version 3.7.0) which has worked a treat!

May I, as a bumbling newcomer, ask if this lets you just watch the disc, or
do you need to rip & copy it?

I'm just after something to let me watch (at the moment).

Thanks

_______
Geoff B

littlejoeflub@yahoo.com

Geoff B wrote:
> "Ken" reported...
>

> > My thanks to Stan and other respondents to my post. I have found a free
> > product called DVD43 (version 3.7.0) which has worked a treat!
> >

> May I, as a bumbling newcomer, ask if this lets you just watch the disc, or
> do you need to rip & copy it?
>
> I'm just after something to let me watch (at the moment).
>
> Thanks
>
> _______
> Geoff B

if you're looking to just watch dvds from any region than just get VLC
Media Player from http://www.videolan.org. This media player allows
playback on your pc of dvds from any region without having to change
the region on the drive like other programs force you to do. I use it
on my region 1 hp laptop with a combo cd-r/dvd-rom drive to play R2
dvds from england.

Geoff B

<(E-Mail Removed)> directed me to...
> if you're looking to just watch dvds from any region than just get VLC
> Media Player from http://www.videolan.org. This media player allows
> playback on your pc of dvds from any region without having to change
> the region on the drive like other programs force you to do. I use it
> on my region 1 hp laptop with a combo cd-r/dvd-rom drive to play R2
> dvds from england.

A neat little program ! Thanks.

Now - if I can just find out why I seem to be seeing a dark negative
image!!!

Cheers,

_______
Geoff B