Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Capote DVD Problem

Capote DVD Problem

Paula C.

I rented a DVD copy of Capote yesterday and it won't play on my Toshiba
SD-5970. It stalls or hangs right at the end of the copy warning notices
while showing the 4 second long "conversations disclaimer." It's not
hanging in my old backup DVD player, but absolutely refuses to play in the
Toshiba. All other DVDs I've tested play fine in the Toshiba.

Has anyone else had this problem with Capote? Or with the Toshiba SD-5970?

Is this another Sony DVD copy protection bug? Or some other Sony vs.
Toshiba thing?

Or did I simply rent a defective disk?

Paula C.

Stan Brown

Sun, 26 Mar 2006 14:35:18 GMT from Paula C. <nospamever2006
@neverspam.org>:
> I rented a DVD copy of Capote yesterday and it won't play on my Toshiba
> SD-5970. It stalls or hangs right at the end of the copy warning notices
> while showing the 4 second long "conversations disclaimer." It's not
> hanging in my old backup DVD player, but absolutely refuses to play in the
> Toshiba. All other DVDs I've tested play fine in the Toshiba.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem with Capote? Or with the Toshiba SD-5970?

Capote played fine in my Sony player.

You could very well have a bad copy, or perhaps your player is
starting to go bad? When my Hitachi went bad, the warning was trouble
playing one disk, then gradually more and more frequently till it
wouldn't play any.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

pstnly@bellsouth.net

Paula C. wrote:
> I rented a DVD copy of Capote yesterday and it won't play on my Toshiba
> SD-5970. It stalls or hangs right at the end of the copy warning notices
> while showing the 4 second long "conversations disclaimer." It's not
> hanging in my old backup DVD player, but absolutely refuses to play in the
> Toshiba. All other DVDs I've tested play fine in the Toshiba.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem with Capote? Or with the Toshiba SD-5970?
>
> Is this another Sony DVD copy protection bug? Or some other Sony vs.
> Toshiba thing?
>
> Or did I simply rent a defective disk?
>
> Paula C.

I'm finding the same. My rented copy didn't play on my laptop, but
does play on my set-top DVD player: however, it does jump in a couple
of places towards the end. Seems it's badly pressed. Think I might
ask Blockbuster for a fresh copy....

Decrypt Capote oldgrey DVD Video 1 05-09-2006 02:37 AM
Decrypt Capote oldgrey DVD Video 1 05-07-2006 12:29 AM
DVD Verdict reviews: CAPOTE, ELEVATOR TO THE GALLOWS: CRITERION COLLECTION, and more! DVD Verdict DVD Video 0 04-24-2006 08:24 AM
New releases: Rent, Capote & Pride & Prejudice: Updated complete downloadable R1 DVD DB & info lists Doug MacLean DVD Video 2 01-10-2006 06:10 PM