Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > if you guys go non-hybrid blu-ray or hd-dvd.... you guys may be looking at laserdisc/sacd type sales.

if you guys go non-hybrid blu-ray or hd-dvd.... you guys may be looking at laserdisc/sacd type sales.

Doc Martian

dvds are less than 10 years old.... make sure you allow the marketplace to
trickledown before you go whomping up some new ****.

my advice? go hybrid blu-ray/dvd or hybrid hd-dvd/dvd... otherwise? your
hype will waste a lot of your money that you have to charge back to the
consumer.... doing the hybrid is a failsafe method... one that means when
someone picks up a dvd for their family... it plays in their player... no
matter what.

cheers!
Doc

jb

50 gigabytes sounds great. When does it become a viable backup?

Larry G

"Doc Martian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message ...
> dvds are less than 10 years old.... make sure you allow the marketplace to
> trickledown before you go whomping up some new ****.
>
> my advice? go hybrid blu-ray/dvd or hybrid hd-dvd/dvd... otherwise? your
> hype will waste a lot of your money that you have to charge back to the
> consumer.... doing the hybrid is a failsafe method... one that means when
> someone picks up a dvd for their family... it plays in their player... no
> matter what.

I was thinking that as of now Blu-Ray and HD-DVD will only be a niche
regional market mostly for North America or Japan (Note for Blu-Ray,
Japan
and North America are the same region) until the rest of the world
catches
on to hi-def. For example, Europe has gone digital, but they are
sticking
with 480p for the most part (SD). There's only one major satellite
channel
there in hi-def, the Belgian-based Euro1080. BBC is mainly producing
hi-def
programs for worldwide export so far.

So is it doomed to fail? Plus this, you'd better have HDMI or we
down-convert stuff bothers me. This would render my dad's older analog
CRT
hi-def Philips set useless.

We should have DVD Audio and/or SACD as default right now. The major
fact
that most standard *DVD* players will not play DVD Audio is absolutely
absurd to me right now.

Larry