Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Burning

Burning

shocker

So heres the scenario.....I download a DVD with a AVI ext. I then burn
it to a DVD disc, then put that disc into dvd player and it cannot play
it. What do I do?

unclejr

shocker wrote:
> So heres the scenario.....I download a DVD with a AVI ext. I then burn
> it to a DVD disc, then put that disc into dvd player and it cannot play
> it. What do I do?

Have you ever put a DVD in a computer's DVD drive and actually see what
kind of files are inside the VIDEO_TS folder? I'm willing to bet that
not one of them is a .avi file.

You need to AUTHOR the DVD. Start here:

<just****inggoogleit.com>

HTH,

-Junior

shocker

Thanks "Junior" for your sarcasm, if I knew the answer to my question I
wouldn't post it.<just****yourselfthengoogleit.com>

unclejr

shocker wrote:
> Thanks "Junior" for your sarcasm, if I knew the answer to my question I
> wouldn't post it.<just****yourselfthengoogleit.com>

You need to ENCODE the .avi file to MPEG-2 (.mpg, .m2v) and to a sound
file (.wav, .aiff, .ac3, .mp2, etc.) -- these video and audio files are
called your "assets." You then need to AUTHOR your assets to make a
playable DVD (.BUP, .IFO, .VOB files).

The encoding and authoring program(s) will cost you a little money. If
you use Windoze, then TMPEGEnc is supposed to work well for both
applications. I use QuickTime Pro and Apple DVD Studio Pro as I use a
Mac.

Also, try searching:

<http://www.videohelp.com>

And if you get really desperate, then go to:

<http://www.just****inggoogleit.com>

HTH,

-Junior