Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Can anyone help with video format conversion.

Can anyone help with video format conversion.

RainCity

This is possibly a RARE post.
I'm going to BUY some software, I just don't know what it is yet.

I use Pinnacle Studio (I know, ha ha) to create DVD's. I have a LOT of
different kinds of video, collected by friends, sent to be by friends.
Generally .avi and .mov files. I can't load them into Studio 9 (or whatever
version I am using). Sometimes, I can import the video into Windows Movie
Maker, and export to an mpeg file (mpeg 2? or mpeg 3? 4?) Those files can
usually be used by Studio.

Anyway, I'm looking for a video converter software (purchase - hopefully
$20-$50? or freeware that works, not stripped down) that can/will transform
video files back and forth from at least input.mov, input.avi, input.mpeg to
output.mpeg. with purpose of being able to import the resultant output.mpeg
video file into Studio. I can use studio to edit out and combine clips.
But if Conversion s/w package did some of this too, that might be nice.

( I suppose I should ask about .divx, .asf [I don't have any of those, I
don't think - what IS it?], .ram? Real Media? I don't think I have any of
those either, but it would be interesting to capture some .rm video and save
it? is that possible? )

Maybe I should trash the Studio and go with something else for home movie
DVD creation? Would that get me around the .mov, .avi, .divx format
problem, if a different package would import all/most formats? I'm sort of
entrenched in Studio, don't want to spend MONEY to change.

My hardware:
I am using a (circa 2002) Dell Dimension 8200 2.6 GHz Pentium IV, nVidia
GEForce4TI 4200, a 160 gigabyte hard drive, an additional 250 gigabyte hard
drive, 1GB Rambus memory.

Thanks in advance for any help.
(and forgive me, but I will probably cross post this question on a couple of
other newsgroups)

ivan

maybe wondershare Video Converter for iPod can help you ,you can get
more info from here
http://www.dvd-ripper-copy.com/index.html
i hope it is useful to you

Nicholas Andrade

Although I typically advocate open source, free software (check my
headers), I've actually been really impressed with River Past Video
Cleaner. I originally used it a couple years ago to convert some
Quicktime (I hate that program) .mov's to MPEG, and it worked great.
I've also used it to convert videos for my BREW based Verizon cell phone
(.3g2). It's a good piece of software, and IMO worth the $30; too bad
it's Windows only...

RainCity

Okay gang,
thanks for the input.
I have these responses and some from other newsgroups.
YOUR experience will save me a LOT of time trying to figure out what product
may or may NOT work right.

I appreciate your replies

"RainCity" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This is possibly a RARE post.
> I'm going to BUY some software, I just don't know what it is yet.
>
> I use Pinnacle Studio (I know, ha ha) to create DVD's. I have a LOT of
> different kinds of video, collected by friends, sent to be by friends.
> Generally .avi and .mov files. I can't load them into Studio 9 (or
> whatever
> version I am using). Sometimes, I can import the video into Windows Movie
> Maker, and export to an mpeg file (mpeg 2? or mpeg 3? 4?) Those files can
> usually be used by Studio.
>
> Anyway, I'm looking for a video converter software (purchase - hopefully
> $20-$50? or freeware that works, not stripped down) that can/will
> transform
> video files back and forth from at least input.mov, input.avi, input.mpeg
> output.mpeg. with purpose of being able to import the resultant
> output.mpeg
> video file into Studio. I can use studio to edit out and combine clips.
> But if Conversion s/w package did some of this too, that might be nice.
>
> ( I suppose I should ask about .divx, .asf [I don't have any of those, I
> don't think - what IS it?], .ram? Real Media? I don't think I have any of
> those either, but it would be interesting to capture some .rm video and
> save
> it? is that possible? )
>
> Maybe I should trash the Studio and go with something else for home movie
> DVD creation? Would that get me around the .mov, .avi, .divx format
> problem, if a different package would import all/most formats? I'm sort
> of
> entrenched in Studio, don't want to spend MONEY to change.
>
> My hardware:
> I am using a (circa 2002) Dell Dimension 8200 2.6 GHz Pentium IV, nVidia
> GEForce4TI 4200, a 160 gigabyte hard drive, an additional 250 gigabyte
> hard
> drive, 1GB Rambus memory.
>

> Thanks in advance for any help.
> (and forgive me, but I will probably cross post this question on a couple
> of
> other newsgroups)

Rein Hjort-Elgeseth

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 19:44:36 -0800, RainCity wrote:

> This is possibly a RARE post.
> I'm going to BUY some software, I just don't know what it is yet.
>
> I use Pinnacle Studio (I know, ha ha) to create DVD's. I have a LOT of
> different kinds of video, collected by friends, sent to be by friends.
> Generally .avi and .mov files. I can't load them into Studio 9 (or whatever
> version I am using). Sometimes, I can import the video into Windows Movie
> Maker, and export to an mpeg file (mpeg 2? or mpeg 3? 4?) Those files can
> usually be used by Studio.
>
> Anyway, I'm looking for a video converter software (purchase - hopefully
> $20-$50? or freeware that works, not stripped down) that can/will transform
> video files back and forth from at least input.mov, input.avi, input.mpeg to
> output.mpeg. with purpose of being able to import the resultant output.mpeg
> video file into Studio. I can use studio to edit out and combine clips.
> But if Conversion s/w package did some of this too, that might be nice.
>
> ( I suppose I should ask about .divx, .asf [I don't have any of those, I
> don't think - what IS it?], .ram? Real Media? I don't think I have any of
> those either, but it would be interesting to capture some .rm video and save
> it? is that possible? )
>
> Maybe I should trash the Studio and go with something else for home movie
> DVD creation? Would that get me around the .mov, .avi, .divx format
> problem, if a different package would import all/most formats? I'm sort of
> entrenched in Studio, don't want to spend MONEY to change.
>
> My hardware:
> I am using a (circa 2002) Dell Dimension 8200 2.6 GHz Pentium IV, nVidia
> GEForce4TI 4200, a 160 gigabyte hard drive, an additional 250 gigabyte hard
> drive, 1GB Rambus memory.
>

> Thanks in advance for any help.
> (and forgive me, but I will probably cross post this question on a couple of
> other newsgroups)

http://mediacoder/sourceforge.net/
perhaps?

I havent tried it myself, but it looks promising. And it is freeware.

RHE

Lisa

You may try winavi video converter which can convert almost all video
files (of course including mov and avi) to mpeg format. And most of
all, the conversion is easy and fast while with stunning video and
audio quality.
Btw, you can find some more details from http://www.winavi.com