Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > cancel netflix questions?

cancel netflix questions?

peter

When you cancel a netflix subscription, does your subscription still
continue to be valid until the end of the paid period, or do you lose the
days from now till the end of the paid period?

Do you have to return all DVDs before you can cancel? This could be tricky
because as soon as you return the DVD, they may send out another.

After you cancel, does your queue gets deleted, or does it simply become
inactive until you re-subscribe again?

Nonymous

"peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:WWmSf.12693$%e1.8030@trnddc05:

> When you cancel a netflix subscription, does your subscription still
> continue to be valid until the end of the paid period, or do you lose
> the days from now till the end of the paid period?

Don't know/remember.

> Do you have to return all DVDs before you can cancel? This could be
> tricky because as soon as you return the DVD, they may send out
> another.

If I remember correctly, when you go to the site to cancel, the site will
then tell you to send any DVDs you have back. Once they get the DVDs back,
they won't send you anymore and then they'll close your account down (make
it inactive).

> After you cancel, does your queue gets deleted, or does it simply
> become inactive until you re-subscribe again?

I canceled a couple years ago for about a year then came back. When I came
back, my old queue was still there. Don't know if that's still the way it
works or if an inactive queue 'expires' and goes away after some longer
time.

wunnuy

peter wrote:
> When you cancel a netflix subscription, does your subscription still
> continue to be valid until the end of the paid period, or do you lose the
> days from now till the end of the paid period?
>
> Do you have to return all DVDs before you can cancel? This could be tricky
> because as soon as you return the DVD, they may send out another.
>
> After you cancel, does your queue gets deleted, or does it simply become
> inactive until you re-subscribe again?

When you cancel it's over. Make sure you return your DVDs and then
cancel. It will not cancel until they have their DVDs back. but if
you're paid for the next 28 days and you cancel today, it's over
(unlike that nimrod a couple months back who was whining that he signed
up, canceled the next day and then complained that they turned off his
service). So I'd call up, cancel, make sure your disks are in the mail
and you'll be done.

Barry McCockiner

In article <WWmSf.12693$%e1.8030@trnddc05>, peter <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> When you cancel a netflix subscription, does your subscription still
> continue to be valid until the end of the paid period, or do you lose the
> days from now till the end of the paid period?

I just canceled recently. You lose the days. So I'd cancel a day or
two before the end of your billing month; that's what I did. The
'Account' page on their web site makes it pretty clear when the renewal
date is.

> Do you have to return all DVDs before you can cancel? This could be tricky
> because as soon as you return the DVD, they may send out another.

No, you don't. Once you cancel, they'll stop sending any more DVDs,
and instruct you to return the ones you have out within seven days to
avoid being charged for them. Wunnuy is incorrect that you're "not
cancel until they have their DVDs back" -- I canceled the day before my
renewal date, and returned the movies about five days later. I
certainly wasn't charged for another month.

> After you cancel, does your queue gets deleted, or does it simply become
> inactive until you re-subscribe again?

It becomes inactive. I believe the e-mail I got said it would remain
active for 90 days if you wanted to resubscribe.

Tonester

"peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> When you cancel a netflix subscription, does your subscription still
> continue to be valid until the end of the paid period, or do you lose the
> days from now till the end of the paid period?
>
> Do you have to return all DVDs before you can cancel? This could be tricky
> because as soon as you return the DVD, they may send out another.
>
> After you cancel, does your queue gets deleted, or does it simply become
> inactive until you re-subscribe again?

If you pay for the entire month, you SHOULD get the whole month but I'm not
sure it works that way. I'd wait until the day before it's up to cancel, you
never know.

But you SHOULD get the whole month you pay for, no matter when you cancel.

wunnuy

Barry McCockiner wrote:
> In article <WWmSf.12693$%e1.8030@trnddc05>, peter <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
> > No, you don't. Once you cancel, they'll stop sending any more DVDs,

> and instruct you to return the ones you have out within seven days to
> avoid being charged for them. Wunnuy is incorrect that you're "not
> cancel until they have their DVDs back" -- I canceled the day before my
> renewal date, and returned the movies about five days later. I
> certainly wasn't charged for another month.

I thnk you're misunderstanding me. I don't mean they're still going to
keep sending you disks. As long as you have disks out after you
canceled you can still be charged for them. Read my whole post please,
I think you'll see I'm saying exactly what you're saying.

PastorVor

The cancel page makes it clear that you do not get the rest of the
month.

You are told that you have so many days to return the disks that you
have out or you will be charged for them. (I thought it was 5 days)

Once you hit that cancel button your account is supposidly canceled.

I'm going to be doing that tonite so I'll let ya know in a few days.

Barry McCockiner

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
wunnuy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Barry McCockiner wrote:
> > Wunnuy is incorrect that you're "not cancel until they have their
> > DVDs back" -- I canceled the day before my renewal date, and
> > returned the movies about five days later. I certainly wasn't
> > charged for another month.

> I thnk you're misunderstanding me. I don't mean they're still going to
> keep sending you disks. As long as you have disks out after you
> canceled you can still be charged for them. Read my whole post please,
> I think you'll see I'm saying exactly what you're saying.

I'm sure I just misinterpreted you, then. Here's the part I read that
I disagreed with:

> When you cancel it's over. Make sure you return your DVDs and then
> cancel. It will not cancel until they have their DVDs back.

That's the part that didn't make sense to me. Your membership WILL
cancel even if they don't have their DVDs back. To me, "canceled"
means they're not charging my credit card, and not shipping me anymore
movies. The terms of the cancellation are that they'll charge their
purchase price of the movies to your credit card if you don't get them
back within a week of canceling. That's how it was explained on the
cancellation page, anyway. Once I click that button, I'm done.

I'm not sure why you'd need (or want) to return the DVDs before
canceling. Unless you did it the same evening you dropped them in the
mailbox, you'd end up with more movies on the way anyway. I watched
mine before I mailed them back five days later. Why not?

> So I'd call up, cancel, make sure your disks are in the mail
> and you'll be done.

Yup. I like that I can cancel the same way I signed up: online,
without having to call and get the hard-sell to stay with them.

wunnuy

Barry McCockiner wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
>>

> I'm sure I just misinterpreted you, then. Here's the part I read that
> I disagreed with:
>
> > When you cancel it's over. Make sure you return your DVDs and then
> > cancel. It will not cancel until they have their DVDs back.

I was trying to imply that you want to get your DVDs back because if
you have DVDs still out after you cancel you will get charged for them
after a peroid, that's what I meant. I should have been more clear in
what I was writing.

Tonester

"wunnuy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> Barry McCockiner wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
>>>

>> I'm sure I just misinterpreted you, then. Here's the part I read that
>> I disagreed with:
>>
>> > When you cancel it's over. Make sure you return your DVDs and then
>> > cancel. It will not cancel until they have their DVDs back.

> I was trying to imply that you want to get your DVDs back because if
> you have DVDs still out after you cancel you will get charged for them
> after a peroid, that's what I meant. I should have been more clear in
> what I was writing.

You have 30 days to return all DVD's before they charge you.