Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > First DVD to go bad on me!

First DVD to go bad on me!

Rich

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 09:33:08 GMT, Roy L. Fuchs
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 17:42:52 -0500, Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:
>
>>On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 18:37:57 -0500, "Irulan" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>wrote:
>>

>>>"Rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

>>>Looks like rot. Nothing you can do about it except to purchase a new dvd.
>>>Hope it's still available.

>>Just for fun, I email the company to see if they'd replace it.
>>No answer yet.
>>-Rich

> Very unlikely they will without them being able to examine the disc
>first hand. If there is internal manufacturing related damage,
>they'll likely honor your request, if you make it in a diplomatic
>manner. If you have ANY scratches on the disc's read surface at all,
>they will likely tell you to take better care of your disc library,
>and alter your handling habits.

I don't scratch my DVD discs, none is ever scratched,
I don't stack them horizontally on each other, no other
discs of 900 that I know of have gone bad and the shot on
pbase.com (which if you can't see, then FIX the settings
in your browser) is a screen shot.
-Rich

Steve

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 16:34:05 -0500, Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 09:33:08 GMT, Roy L. Fuchs
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 17:42:52 -0500, Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:

>>>Just for fun, I email the company to see if they'd replace it.
>>>No answer yet.
>>>-Rich

>> Very unlikely they will without them being able to examine the disc
>>first hand. If there is internal manufacturing related damage,
>>they'll likely honor your request, if you make it in a diplomatic
>>manner. If you have ANY scratches on the disc's read surface at all,
>>they will likely tell you to take better care of your disc library,
>>and alter your handling habits.

>I don't scratch my DVD discs, none is ever scratched,
>I don't stack them horizontally on each other, no other
>discs of 900 that I know of have gone bad and the shot on
>pbase.com (which if you can't see, then FIX the settings
>in your browser) is a screen shot.
>-Rich

I checked my copy of "Trinity ...The Atomic Bomb Movie" and it's fine,
but I have had about three or four DVDs go bad on me over the years,
of all different lables. Yes DVD-rot DOES exist, and unfortunately I
doubt after all this time that the distributor of that particular
movie would offer an exchange. It's still in print so you could try.
I will recommend other movies with a similar theme such as "The Atomic
Bomb Collection" ( which includes "Trinity.." and two others.) Also
the "America's Atomic Bomb Tests" series is great!

... Steve ..

Rich

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 04:22:47 -0500, Steve
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 16:34:05 -0500, Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 09:33:08 GMT, Roy L. Fuchs
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 17:42:52 -0500, Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:

>>> Very unlikely they will without them being able to examine the disc
>>>first hand. If there is internal manufacturing related damage,
>>>they'll likely honor your request, if you make it in a diplomatic
>>>manner. If you have ANY scratches on the disc's read surface at all,
>>>they will likely tell you to take better care of your disc library,
>>>and alter your handling habits.

>>I don't scratch my DVD discs, none is ever scratched,
>>I don't stack them horizontally on each other, no other
>>discs of 900 that I know of have gone bad and the shot on
>>pbase.com (which if you can't see, then FIX the settings
>>in your browser) is a screen shot.
>>-Rich

>I checked my copy of "Trinity ...The Atomic Bomb Movie" and it's fine,
>but I have had about three or four DVDs go bad on me over the years,
>of all different lables. Yes DVD-rot DOES exist, and unfortunately I
>doubt after all this time that the distributor of that particular
>movie would offer an exchange. It's still in print so you could try.
>I will recommend other movies with a similar theme such as "The Atomic
>Bomb Collection" ( which includes "Trinity.." and two others.) Also
>the "America's Atomic Bomb Tests" series is great!
>
>.. Steve ..

You get spoiled with the Trinity, Nukes in Space, etc, movies because
Kuran cleaned up the footage so well. I've even downloaded some stuff
about this subject off archive.org, but of course quality varies, but
the history is intact.
The people at the production co. said they'd replace it for me, so
all is well. A manufacturing flaw was their diagnosis, which of
course we knew.
-Rich

Osmo R

Goro wrote:

> "Why back up when replacements are available at affordable prices?"
> -RIAA

Actually in this case that makes much sense. Backing up 900 disks costs
several hundreds. Backing up is economical only if the failure rate is
greater than the cost
ratio between the blank media and the backed material. This applies
only with
large number of disks. WIth small numbers backing up can be beneficial
as
insurance.

Osmo

Steve

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 16:33:07 -0500, Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 04:22:47 -0500, Steve
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 16:34:05 -0500, Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>I checked my copy of "Trinity ...The Atomic Bomb Movie" and it's fine,
>>but I have had about three or four DVDs go bad on me over the years,
>>of all different lables. It's still in print so you could try.
>>

>>.. Steve ..

>You get spoiled with the Trinity, Nukes in Space, etc, movies because
>Kuran cleaned up the footage so well. I've even downloaded some stuff
>about this subject off archive.org, but of course quality varies, but
>the history is intact.
>The people at the production co. said they'd replace it for me, so
>all is well. A manufacturing flaw was their diagnosis, which of
>course we knew.
>-Rich

Hmm, I'll have to triple-check my copy if any had had a "manufacturing
flaw." It wouldn't be limited to just a very few discs, particularly
if the distributor autmatically acknowledges the problem that readily.

... Steve ..

Tim V.

Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:b3sj121ecin3kkekkc44l7d7dansh5q10n@
4ax.com:

> Well, after 8 years and no problems (900 discs or so owned, 1000
> rented) I finally had a DVD deteriorate on me. The movie was "Trinity
> and Beyond" The Atomic Bomb Movie. A terrific documentary on the
> development of the atomic and hydrogen bombs. Done by Peter Kuran.
> The DVD company is VCE so I emailed them to see if they'd be willing
> to replace it.
>
> The DVD surface appears to have something like a watermark on it.
> It looks subsurface to me.
> Here's a screen shot of what this looks like;
> http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/57346298

I've had a CD distintigrate inside my cdrom. It literally blew into a
million pieces. It was disc #1 of 3, so I was able to get a replacement
by getting product codes off the remaining cd's. Of course, my cdrom was
useless afterwards. So many little pieces inside it that the open/close
mechanism was jammed.

--
Tim.

"Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve neither
liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own
reputation. It is better to be alone than in bad company" - George
Washington

Tim V.

"Goro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com:

>> Well, if they don't replace it, it seems as though this gives
>> consumers a very good reason to demand the right to backup their
>> discs - copyprotection to hell.

> "Why back up when replacements are available at affordable prices?"
> -RIAA

Affordable is very subjective. What's "affordable" to RIAA lawyers
and others is not the same to minimum wage (or close) workers.

--
Tim.

"Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve neither
liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own
reputation. It is better to be alone than in bad company" - George
Washington

Tim V.

"Osmo R" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:

> Goro wrote:
>

>> "Why back up when replacements are available at affordable prices?"
>> -RIAA
>>

> Actually in this case that makes much sense. Backing up 900 disks
> costs several hundreds. Backing up is economical only if the failure
> rate is greater than the cost
> ratio between the blank media and the backed material. This applies
> only with
> large number of disks. WIth small numbers backing up can be beneficial
> as
> insurance.

Yes, good logic for the most part. It all depends on how mainstream the
discs are and their cost. The overpriced Star Trek ($100+ per season
for Voyager, etc) discs are good candidates for archiving whereas your
bargain bin discs may not be.

You can also look at it like: at $1 a blank disc, it is still somewhat
cost effective to backup your $6 bargain bin movie. The question would
more time related. In 5-10 years, what will the availability be of
some of todays discs? With 900 discs, you wouldn't be backing them
all at once. I doubt they were purchased all at once.

--
Tim.

"Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve
neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own
reputation. It is better to be alone than in bad company" - George
Washington

Tim V.

Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> You get spoiled with the Trinity, Nukes in Space, etc, movies because
> Kuran cleaned up the footage so well. I've even downloaded some stuff
> about this subject off archive.org, but of course quality varies, but
> the history is intact.
> The people at the production co. said they'd replace it for me, so
> all is well. A manufacturing flaw was their diagnosis, which of
> course we knew.
> -Rich

Great to hear them backing their products!

--
Tim.

"Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve neither
liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own
reputation. It is better to be alone than in bad company" - George
Washington

Jeff Rife

Tim V. ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
> You can also look at it like: at $1 a blank disc, it is still somewhat
> cost effective to backup your $6 bargain bin movie.

Or, at about $1.33/original disc, you can just put everything onto a hard
drive and have all your DVDs instantly available, while the originals sit
safely in their boxes.

--
Jeff Rife |