Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > First DVD to go bad on me!

First DVD to go bad on me!

Rich

Well, after 8 years and no problems (900 discs or so owned, 1000
rented) I finally had a DVD deteriorate on me. The movie was "Trinity
and Beyond" The Atomic Bomb Movie. A terrific documentary on the
development of the atomic and hydrogen bombs. Done by Peter Kuran.
The DVD company is VCE so I emailed them to see if they'd be willing
to replace it.

The DVD surface appears to have something like a watermark on it.
It looks subsurface to me.
Here's a screen shot of what this looks like;
http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/57346298

Irulan

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well, after 8 years and no problems (900 discs or so owned, 1000
> rented) I finally had a DVD deteriorate on me. The movie was "Trinity
> and Beyond" The Atomic Bomb Movie. A terrific documentary on the
> development of the atomic and hydrogen bombs. Done by Peter Kuran.
> The DVD company is VCE so I emailed them to see if they'd be willing
> to replace it.
>
> The DVD surface appears to have something like a watermark on it.
> It looks subsurface to me.
> Here's a screen shot of what this looks like;
> http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/57346298

Looks like rot. Nothing you can do about it except to purchase a new dvd.
Hope it's still available.

--

Irulan
from the stars we come

Rich

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 18:37:57 -0500, "Irulan" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Well, after 8 years and no problems (900 discs or so owned, 1000
>> rented) I finally had a DVD deteriorate on me. The movie was "Trinity
>> and Beyond" The Atomic Bomb Movie. A terrific documentary on the
>> development of the atomic and hydrogen bombs. Done by Peter Kuran.
>> The DVD company is VCE so I emailed them to see if they'd be willing
>> to replace it.
>>
>> The DVD surface appears to have something like a watermark on it.
>> It looks subsurface to me.
>> Here's a screen shot of what this looks like;
>> http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/57346298

>Looks like rot. Nothing you can do about it except to purchase a new dvd.
>Hope it's still available.

Just for fun, I email the company to see if they'd replace it.
No answer yet.
-Rich

Bernie Woodham

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 18:37:57 -0500, "Irulan" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>"Rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> Well, after 8 years and no problems (900 discs or so owned, 1000
>>> rented) I finally had a DVD deteriorate on me. The movie was "Trinity
>>> and Beyond" The Atomic Bomb Movie. A terrific documentary on the
>>> development of the atomic and hydrogen bombs. Done by Peter Kuran.
>>> The DVD company is VCE so I emailed them to see if they'd be willing
>>> to replace it.
>>>
>>> The DVD surface appears to have something like a watermark on it.
>>> It looks subsurface to me.
>>> Here's a screen shot of what this looks like;
>>> http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/57346298

>>Looks like rot. Nothing you can do about it except to purchase a new dvd.
>>Hope it's still available.

> Just for fun, I email the company to see if they'd replace it.
> No answer yet.
> -Rich

Well, if they don't replace it, it seems as though this gives consumers a
very good reason to demand the right to backup their discs - copyprotection
to hell.

Roy L. Fuchs

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 18:13:37 -0500, Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:

>Well, after 8 years and no problems (900 discs or so owned, 1000
>rented) I finally had a DVD deteriorate on me. The movie was "Trinity
>and Beyond" The Atomic Bomb Movie. A terrific documentary on the
>development of the atomic and hydrogen bombs. Done by Peter Kuran.
>The DVD company is VCE so I emailed them to see if they'd be willing
>to replace it.
>
>The DVD surface appears to have something like a watermark on it.
>It looks subsurface to me.
>Here's a screen shot of what this looks like;
>http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/57346298

Two things. First, your image is fouled, and does not show the
picture you took at all. Do you not even test your own web pages?

Second, if the disc's optical read surface has ANY scratches on it AT
ALL from where you have placed it on a surface or in a sleeve, it is
your fault.

RULE NUMBER ONE for optical disc storage mediums is that the read
surface should NEVER be touched. That is regardless of the fact that
they are generally forgiving of such handling. There are only two
locations that are valid for an optical disc. In its storage
container, and in the playback /reader device's loading tray.

If ANY contact is made with the read surface and it becomes scratched
or smudged, it IS operator error if it subsequently fails to read.

That said, you need to re-snap the picture, and re-load it onto your
web page.

If you are in the habit of placing discs onto flat surfaces other
than one of the two aforementioned locations, then you deserve
everything you (DON'T) get.

Roy L. Fuchs

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 17:42:52 -0500, Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:

>On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 18:37:57 -0500, "Irulan" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>

>>"Rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> Well, after 8 years and no problems (900 discs or so owned, 1000
>>> rented) I finally had a DVD deteriorate on me. The movie was "Trinity
>>> and Beyond" The Atomic Bomb Movie. A terrific documentary on the
>>> development of the atomic and hydrogen bombs. Done by Peter Kuran.
>>> The DVD company is VCE so I emailed them to see if they'd be willing
>>> to replace it.
>>>
>>> The DVD surface appears to have something like a watermark on it.
>>> It looks subsurface to me.
>>> Here's a screen shot of what this looks like;
>>> http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/57346298

>>Looks like rot. Nothing you can do about it except to purchase a new dvd.
>>Hope it's still available.

>Just for fun, I email the company to see if they'd replace it.
>No answer yet.
>-Rich

Very unlikely they will without them being able to examine the disc
first hand. If there is internal manufacturing related damage,
they'll likely honor your request, if you make it in a diplomatic
manner. If you have ANY scratches on the disc's read surface at all,
they will likely tell you to take better care of your disc library,
and alter your handling habits.

James

"Roy L. Fuchs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 18:13:37 -0500, Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:
>
>>Well, after 8 years and no problems (900 discs or so owned, 1000
>>rented) I finally had a DVD deteriorate on me. The movie was "Trinity
>>and Beyond" The Atomic Bomb Movie. A terrific documentary on the
>>development of the atomic and hydrogen bombs. Done by Peter Kuran.
>>The DVD company is VCE so I emailed them to see if they'd be willing
>>to replace it.
>>
>>The DVD surface appears to have something like a watermark on it.
>>It looks subsurface to me.
>>Here's a screen shot of what this looks like;
>>http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/57346298

> Two things. First, your image is fouled, and does not show the
> picture you took at all. Do you not even test your own web pages?
>
> Second, if the disc's optical read surface has ANY scratches on it AT
> ALL from where you have placed it on a surface or in a sleeve, it is
> your fault.
>
> RULE NUMBER ONE for optical disc storage mediums is that the read
> surface should NEVER be touched. That is regardless of the fact that
> they are generally forgiving of such handling. There are only two
> locations that are valid for an optical disc. In its storage
> container, and in the playback /reader device's loading tray.
>
> If ANY contact is made with the read surface and it becomes scratched
> or smudged, it IS operator error if it subsequently fails to read.
>
> That said, you need to re-snap the picture, and re-load it onto your
> web page.
>
> If you are in the habit of placing discs onto flat surfaces other
> than one of the two aforementioned locations, then you deserve
> everything you (DON'T) get.

Way to have a go at someone who says it looks SUB-surface.

Goro

Bernie Woodham wrote:
> "Rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 18:37:57 -0500, "Irulan" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:
> >

> >>"Rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

> >>Looks like rot. Nothing you can do about it except to purchase a new dvd.
> >>Hope it's still available.

> > Just for fun, I email the company to see if they'd replace it.
> > No answer yet.
> > -Rich

> Well, if they don't replace it, it seems as though this gives consumers a
> very good reason to demand the right to backup their discs - copyprotection
> to hell.

"Why back up when replacements are available at affordable prices?"
-RIAA

ugh

-goro-

Roy L. Fuchs

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 18:44:35 -0000, "James"
<(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:

>"Roy L. Fuchs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 18:13:37 -0500, Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:
>>
>>>Well, after 8 years and no problems (900 discs or so owned, 1000
>>>rented) I finally had a DVD deteriorate on me. The movie was "Trinity
>>>and Beyond" The Atomic Bomb Movie. A terrific documentary on the
>>>development of the atomic and hydrogen bombs. Done by Peter Kuran.
>>>The DVD company is VCE so I emailed them to see if they'd be willing
>>>to replace it.
>>>
>>>The DVD surface appears to have something like a watermark on it.
>>>It looks subsurface to me.
>>>Here's a screen shot of what this looks like;
>>>http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/57346298

>> Two things. First, your image is fouled, and does not show the
>> picture you took at all. Do you not even test your own web pages?
>>
>> Second, if the disc's optical read surface has ANY scratches on it AT
>> ALL from where you have placed it on a surface or in a sleeve, it is
>> your fault.
>>
>> RULE NUMBER ONE for optical disc storage mediums is that the read
>> surface should NEVER be touched. That is regardless of the fact that
>> they are generally forgiving of such handling. There are only two
>> locations that are valid for an optical disc. In its storage
>> container, and in the playback /reader device's loading tray.
>>
>> If ANY contact is made with the read surface and it becomes scratched
>> or smudged, it IS operator error if it subsequently fails to read.
>>
>> That said, you need to re-snap the picture, and re-load it onto your
>> web page.
>>
>> If you are in the habit of placing discs onto flat surfaces other
>> than one of the two aforementioned locations, then you deserve
>> everything you (DON'T) get.

>Way to have a go at someone who says it looks SUB-surface.

Note that the FIRST remark I posted was about how his image is not
viewable. If I could see the photograph, perhaps I wouldn't have
given the primer.

Way to have a go at interpreting what you read. It is as plain as
day... right before your eyes.

Justin

Roy L Fuchs wrote on [Tue, 21 Mar 2006 15:26:40 GMT]:
> On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 18:44:35 -0000, "James"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:
>

>>"Roy L. Fuchs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 18:13:37 -0500, Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:

>>> Two things. First, your image is fouled, and does not show the
>>> picture you took at all. Do you not even test your own web pages?
>>>
>>> Second, if the disc's optical read surface has ANY scratches on it AT
>>> ALL from where you have placed it on a surface or in a sleeve, it is
>>> your fault.
>>>
>>> RULE NUMBER ONE for optical disc storage mediums is that the read
>>> surface should NEVER be touched. That is regardless of the fact that
>>> they are generally forgiving of such handling. There are only two
>>> locations that are valid for an optical disc. In its storage
>>> container, and in the playback /reader device's loading tray.
>>>
>>> If ANY contact is made with the read surface and it becomes scratched
>>> or smudged, it IS operator error if it subsequently fails to read.
>>>
>>> That said, you need to re-snap the picture, and re-load it onto your
>>> web page.
>>>
>>> If you are in the habit of placing discs onto flat surfaces other
>>> than one of the two aforementioned locations, then you deserve
>>> everything you (DON'T) get.

>>Way to have a go at someone who says it looks SUB-surface.
>>

> Note that the FIRST remark I posted was about how his image is not
> viewable. If I could see the photograph, perhaps I wouldn't have
> given the primer.

The image was a screenshot of what he was seeing on screen, I believe.