Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > How To Identify DVDs With Excessive Prologue Material?

How To Identify DVDs With Excessive Prologue Material?

(PeteCresswell)

Just bought two DVDs: "Tootsie" and "Lost In Translation".

Put "Tootsie" in the player and bingo! Exactly what I would expect: the movie's
home menu comes up (after the obligatory stern warnings...).

Put "Lost In Translation" in the player and.... geeze-Louise! After about five
minutes of sitting through trailers and plain old advertisements I just gave up
and fed the disc to DVD Shrink in order to capture the main movie for
trouble-free viewing later.

I read the fine print in both DVD containers. Couldn't identify anything that
would warn me (didn't expect to find anything either...).

Is there any way to spot something like "Lost In Translation" before buying?
Review sites? Some sort of code?
--
PeteCresswell

Biz

Try the fast forward or skip keys on your remote...those werent forced
trailers.....you're at the menu in less than 30 seconds and you wouldnt have
needed to bother with such a trivial request...

"(PeteCresswell)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just bought two DVDs: "Tootsie" and "Lost In Translation".
>
> Put "Tootsie" in the player and bingo! Exactly what I would expect: the

movie's
> home menu comes up (after the obligatory stern warnings...).
>
> Put "Lost In Translation" in the player and.... geeze-Louise! After about

five
> minutes of sitting through trailers and plain old advertisements I just

gave up
> and fed the disc to DVD Shrink in order to capture the main movie for
> trouble-free viewing later.
>
> I read the fine print in both DVD containers. Couldn't identify anything

that
> would warn me (didn't expect to find anything either...).
>
> Is there any way to spot something like "Lost In Translation" before

buying?
> Review sites? Some sort of code?
> --
> PeteCresswell

Bratboy

Actually I've come across a fair few that FF or skip are disabled somehow so
that doesnt always work. Forced "Coming Soon" crap is one of the biggest
reasons I tend to rip a copy of my disc's sans the crap or extra's.

Bratboy

"Bratboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:44198e0a$0$43952$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> Actually I've come across a fair few that FF or skip are disabled somehow
> so that doesnt always work. Forced "Coming Soon" crap is one of the
> biggest reasons I tend to rip a copy of my disc's sans the crap or
> extra's.

As for telling if a disc has forced junk or not it seems, to the best of my
recollection, Disney is VERY bad about it and also Universal likes to put
junk at the start as well. WBro you have a 50/50 chance depending on the
title.

AZ Nomad

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 09:10:58 -0700, Bratboy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Actually I've come across a fair few that FF or skip are disabled somehow so
>that doesnt always work. Forced "Coming Soon" crap is one of the biggest
>reasons I tend to rip a copy of my disc's sans the crap or extra's.

That one thing I love about my linux based multimedia system: the dvd
application never disables the ff/rewind buttons. Skip the idiotic
FBI warnings/ skip the production company advertisements / skip the
menu animations and go straight to the movie.

Stan Brown

Thu, 16 Mar 2006 09:45:31 -0500 from (PeteCresswell) <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> Put "Lost In Translation" in the player and.... geeze-Louise! After
> about five minutes of sitting through trailers and plain old
> advertisements I just gave up and fed the disc to DVD Shrink in
> order to capture the main movie for trouble-free viewing later.

Even more annoying than that is "prologue material" (sc. ads) that
plays when you select "Play Movie". I remember the last straw for me
was /Far from Heaven/ -- selecting "Play Movie" I got previews for
other movies. And since I didn't know how FfH started, and the
previews didn't begin with the MPAA rating, it was some time till I
realized.

Since then I've noticed a few other discs do that, and it's extremely
annoying. I guess the fault is mine for assuming that when I play my
DVD on my player I should actually be able to see what I paid for
without jumping through hoops.

And no, DVDShrink isn't the answer. The answer is to hold
manufacturers accountable by returning these damaged discs (though I
admit I haven't done that myself yet).

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Stan Brown

Thu, 16 Mar 2006 17:19:59 GMT from AZ Nomad <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> That one thing I love about my linux based multimedia system: the
> dvd application never disables the ff/rewind buttons. Skip the
> idiotic FBI warnings/ skip the production company advertisements /
> skip the menu animations and go straight to the movie.

Remote Selector <http://www.remoteselector.com/download.htm> for
Windows does that too.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

RobMac

"Bratboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:44198ec9$0$43953$(E-Mail Removed). com...

> "Bratboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:44198e0a$0$43952$(E-Mail Removed). com...
>> Actually I've come across a fair few that FF or skip are disabled somehow
>> so that doesnt always work. Forced "Coming Soon" crap is one of the
>> biggest reasons I tend to rip a copy of my disc's sans the crap or
>> extra's.
>>

> As for telling if a disc has forced junk or not it seems, to the best of
> my recollection, Disney is VERY bad about it and also Universal likes to
> put junk at the start as well. WBro you have a 50/50 chance depending on
> the title.

Early Disney DVDs had no skip/FF feature, but the recent ones (the last 3
years or so) all have the option to skip right to the Menu by pressing Menu
when the hundreds of trailers start to play, they even tell you in a little
message BEFORE the previews start, or you can just skip past them one at a
time (but since there are usually 20-30 previews, I never wait)

kaydigi

"(PeteCresswell)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just bought two DVDs: "Tootsie" and "Lost In Translation".
>
> Put "Tootsie" in the player and bingo! Exactly what I would expect: the
> movie's
> home menu comes up (after the obligatory stern warnings...).
>
> Put "Lost In Translation" in the player and.... geeze-Louise! After about
> five
> minutes of sitting through trailers and plain old advertisements I just
> gave up
> and fed the disc to DVD Shrink in order to capture the main movie for
> trouble-free viewing later.
>
> I read the fine print in both DVD containers. Couldn't identify anything
> that
> would warn me (didn't expect to find anything either...).
>
> Is there any way to spot something like "Lost In Translation" before
> buying?
> Review sites? Some sort of code?
> --
> PeteCresswell

Also press stop after the FBI warning/before the trailers and then press
menu.

(PeteCresswell)

Per Biz:
>Try the fast forward or skip keys on your remote...those werent forced
>trailers.....you're at the menu in less than 30 seconds and you wouldnt have
>needed to bother with such a trivial request...

The DVD player I'm using now issues that little "No-No" dialog (the one that's a
circle with a diagonal line thorough it..).

The one somebody got me from mainland China had a neat "Direct Play" feature -
skipped all the BS, stern warnings included, and went right to the movie.

Excellent feature IMHO - albeit, I'm sure, a veritable crime against nature in
the industry's eyes....
--
PeteCresswell