Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Disney's Bob Iger says, "NO" to Song of the South on DVD

Disney's Bob Iger says, "NO" to Song of the South on DVD

unclejr

Sigh...

<http://www.laughingplace.com/Latest.asp?I1=ID&I2=1073>

-Junior

Derek Janssen

unclejr wrote:

> Sigh...
>
> <http://www.laughingplace.com/Latest.asp?I1=ID&I2=1073>
>
> -Junior

And Geek Power (in the form of a couple new Apple guys with direct lines
to Iger) may be about to strike back...

Derek Janssen (it's been known to happen)

Joshua Zyber

"Derek Janssen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> <http://www.laughingplace.com/Latest.asp?I1=ID&I2=1073>
>>
>> -Junior

> And Geek Power (in the form of a couple new Apple guys with direct
> lines to Iger) may be about to strike back...

Keep dreaming.

unclejr

Joshua Zyber wrote:
> Keep dreaming.

Okay, Josh. I know that you've seen the film on Japanese LD. In your
opinion, what EXACTLY is keeping Disney from releasing this film on
DVD? Certainly, Disney has released much more racially-insensitive
material (in the form of their cartoon shorts) on their Treasures
series with Leonard Maltin warning us about the racial content.

-Junior

Bernie Woodham

"unclejr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Joshua Zyber wrote:
>> Keep dreaming.

> Okay, Josh. I know that you've seen the film on Japanese LD. In your
> opinion, what EXACTLY is keeping Disney from releasing this film on
> DVD? Certainly, Disney has released much more racially-insensitive
> material (in the form of their cartoon shorts) on their Treasures
> series with Leonard Maltin warning us about the racial content.
>
> -Junior

Has anyone asked for Jim Hill Media's response to this?

Bernie Woodham

"unclejr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Sigh...
>
> <http://www.laughingplace.com/Latest.asp?I1=ID&I2=1073>
>
> -Junior

Here is the full question/answer quote as posted on www.songofthesouth.net:

"My name is Howard Cromer. I live in Cypress, I'm a Disney shareholder. I'm
actually delivering a message from my son, 10. He wants to know in recent
years, in the midst of all your re-releases of your videos, why you haven't
released Song of the South on your Disney Classics?" [Applause] "And, he
wonders why. Frank Wells told me many years ago that it would be coming out.
Well obviously Frank Wells isn't around anymore, so we still wonder why. And
by the way, Mr. Iger, he thinks it was a very good choice when they made you
CEO of Disney." [Applause]

Iger: "Thank you very much. You may change your mind when I answer your
question, though. Um... we've discussed this a lot. We believe it's actually
an opportunity from a financial perspective to put Song of the South out. I
screened it fairly recently because I hadn't seen it since I was a child,
and I have to tell you after I watched it, even considering the context that
it was made, I had some concerns about it because of what it depicted. And
thought it's quite possible that people wouldn't consider it in the context
that it was made, and there were some... [long pause] depictions that I
mentioned earlier in the film that I think would be bothersome to a lot of
people. And so, owing to the sensitivity that exists in our culture,
balancing it with the desire to, uh, maybe increase our earnings a bit, but
never putting that in front of what we thought were our ethics and our
integrity, we made the decision not to re-release it. Not a decision that is
made forever, I imagine this is gonna continue to come up, but for now we
simply don't have plans to bring it back because of the sensitivities that I
mentioned. Sorry."

unclejr

Bernie Woodham wrote:
> Here is the full question/answer quote as posted on www.songofthesouth.net:
>
> "My name is Howard Cromer. I live in Cypress, I'm a Disney shareholder. I'm
> actually delivering a message from my son, 10. He wants to know in recent
> years, in the midst of all your re-releases of your videos, why you haven't
> released Song of the South on your Disney Classics?" [Applause] "And, he
> wonders why. Frank Wells told me many years ago that it would be coming out.
> Well obviously Frank Wells isn't around anymore, so we still wonder why. And
> by the way, Mr. Iger, he thinks it was a very good choice when they made you
> CEO of Disney." [Applause]
>

> Iger: "Thank you very much. You may change your mind when I answer your
> question, though. Um... we've discussed this a lot. We believe it's actually
> an opportunity from a financial perspective to put Song of the South out. I
> screened it fairly recently because I hadn't seen it since I was a child,
> and I have to tell you after I watched it, even considering the context that
> it was made, I had some concerns about it because of what it depicted. And
> thought it's quite possible that people wouldn't consider it in the context
> that it was made, and there were some... [long pause] depictions that I
> mentioned earlier in the film that I think would be bothersome to a lot of
> people. And so, owing to the sensitivity that exists in our culture,
> balancing it with the desire to, uh, maybe increase our earnings a bit, but
> never putting that in front of what we thought were our ethics and our
> integrity, we made the decision not to re-release it. Not a decision that is
> made forever, I imagine this is gonna continue to come up, but for now we
> simply don't have plans to bring it back because of the sensitivities that I
> mentioned. Sorry."

Thanks, Bernie. I completely forgot to look at Christian's site for
any information on this.

-Junior

mw

"Bernie Woodham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:RNPQf.20809$oL.15401@attbi_s71...

> "unclejr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>> Sigh...
>>
>> <http://www.laughingplace.com/Latest.asp?I1=ID&I2=1073>
>>
>> -Junior
>>

> Here is the full question/answer quote as posted on www.songofthesouth.net:
>
> "My name is Howard Cromer. I live in Cypress, I'm a Disney shareholder. I'm
> actually delivering a message from my son, 10. He wants to know in recent
> years, in the midst of all your re-releases of your videos, why you haven't
> released Song of the South on your Disney Classics?" [Applause] "And, he
> wonders why. Frank Wells told me many years ago that it would be coming out.
> Well obviously Frank Wells isn't around anymore, so we still wonder why. And
> by the way, Mr. Iger, he thinks it was a very good choice when they made you
> CEO of Disney." [Applause]
>

> Iger: "Thank you very much. You may change your mind when I answer your
> question, though. Um... we've discussed this a lot. We believe it's actually
> an opportunity from a financial perspective to put Song of the South out. I
> screened it fairly recently because I hadn't seen it since I was a child,
> and I have to tell you after I watched it, even considering the context that
> it was made, I had some concerns about it because of what it depicted. And
> thought it's quite possible that people wouldn't consider it in the context
> that it was made, and there were some... [long pause] depictions that I
> mentioned earlier in the film that I think would be bothersome to a lot of
> people. And so, owing to the sensitivity that exists in our culture,
> balancing it with the desire to, uh, maybe increase our earnings a bit, but
> never putting that in front of what we thought were our ethics and our
> integrity, we made the decision not to re-release it. Not a decision that is
> made forever, I imagine this is gonna continue to come up, but for now we
> simply don't have plans to bring it back because of the sensitivities that I
> mentioned. Sorry."

It is called "political correctness" and it is the far left's answer to censorship. It has done more damage to our culture and to this nation than Sen. McCarthy did back in the day. Oh no, we can't handle SOUNG OF THE SOUTH, but Black Entertainment Television can air the tv show LIL KIM: COUNTDOWN TO LOCKDOWN, and the hip-hop communtiy can continue to pimpify our culture. But SONG OF THE SOUTH? No way!
Thank God, we were able to get KING KONG out on a special ed. DVD before the wiser heads at Turner had a chance to cut out all the scenes of the Skull Island natives.

Derek Janssen

mw wrote:

> "Bernie Woodham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:RNPQf.20809$oL.15401@attbi_s71...
>
>>"unclejr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed) roups.com...
>>
>>>Sigh...
>>>
>>><http://www.laughingplace.com/Latest.asp?I1=ID&I2=1073>
>>>
>>>-Junior
>>>

>>Here is the full question/answer quote as posted on www.songofthesouth.net:
>>
>>"My name is Howard Cromer. I live in Cypress, I'm a Disney shareholder. I'm
>>actually delivering a message from my son, 10. He wants to know in recent
>>years, in the midst of all your re-releases of your videos, why you haven't
>>released Song of the South on your Disney Classics?" [Applause] "And, he
>>wonders why. Frank Wells told me many years ago that it would be coming out.
>>Well obviously Frank Wells isn't around anymore, so we still wonder why. And
>>by the way, Mr. Iger, he thinks it was a very good choice when they made you
>>CEO of Disney." [Applause]
>>

>>Iger: "Thank you very much. You may change your mind when I answer your
>>question, though. Um... we've discussed this a lot. We believe it's actually
>>an opportunity from a financial perspective to put Song of the South out. I
>>screened it fairly recently because I hadn't seen it since I was a child,
>>and I have to tell you after I watched it, even considering the context that
>>it was made, I had some concerns about it because of what it depicted. And
>>thought it's quite possible that people wouldn't consider it in the context
>>that it was made, and there were some... [long pause] depictions that I
>>mentioned earlier in the film that I think would be bothersome to a lot of
>>people. And so, owing to the sensitivity that exists in our culture,
>>balancing it with the desire to, uh, maybe increase our earnings a bit, but
>>never putting that in front of what we thought were our ethics and our
>>integrity, we made the decision not to re-release it. Not a decision that is
>>made forever, I imagine this is gonna continue to come up, but for now we
>>simply don't have plans to bring it back because of the sensitivities that I
>>mentioned. Sorry."

> It is called "political correctness" and it is the far left's answer to censorship.
> It has done more damage to our culture and to this nation than Sen. McCarthy did
> back in the day. Oh no, we can't handle SOUNG OF THE SOUTH, but Black Entertainment
> Television can air the tv show LIL KIM: COUNTDOWN TO LOCKDOWN, and the hip-hop
> communtiy can continue to pimpify our culture. But SONG OF THE SOUTH? No way!

Not to mention, it also dates back to the proverbial Disgruntled Employee:
http://www.jimhillmedia.com/article.php?id=1741

Derek Janssen
(E-Mail Removed)

Mr. Moe

On 11 Mar 2006 15:01:42 -0800, "unclejr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Sigh...
>
><http://www.laughingplace.com/Latest.asp?I1=ID&I2=1073>
>
>-Junior

F*ckin political correctness.