Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > One concern about HD DVD

One concern about HD DVD

Bratboy

Okay, if I understand things correctly, HD's are gonna cost more to produce
so the prices will be higher. Whether this is true or not I don't know but I
can at least understand it as an excuse. My concern is that with higher
costs I am worried it may also result in fewer old movies that have yet to
be made on DVD ever seeing the light of day. I mean if a studio won't put
even a barebones DVD of "Vibes" on current DVD format what hope is there
that when it costs the studios more to work with HD-DVD's that they will
ever bother. Maybe Im worried about nothing but curious to hear what others
think on the Subject.
Cheers

AZ Nomad

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 09:17:44 -0700, Bratboy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Okay, if I understand things correctly, HD's are gonna cost more to produce
>so the prices will be higher. Whether this is true or not I don't know but I
>can at least understand it as an excuse. My concern is that with higher
>costs I am worried it may also result in fewer old movies that have yet to
>be made on DVD ever seeing the light of day. I mean if a studio won't put
>even a barebones DVD of "Vibes" on current DVD format what hope is there
>that when it costs the studios more to work with HD-DVD's that they will
>ever bother. Maybe Im worried about nothing but curious to hear what others
>think on the Subject.

Initialy the costs will be higher just like CD vs. LP or DVD vs. CD, but
the costs will come down as the technology matures.

I would expect the cost of making HDDVD in quantity to be under a nickel
a copy.

Dragon

"AZ Nomad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 09:17:44 -0700, Bratboy
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Okay, if I understand things correctly, HD's are gonna cost more to
>>produce
>>so the prices will be higher. Whether this is true or not I don't know but
>>can at least understand it as an excuse. My concern is that with higher
>>costs I am worried it may also result in fewer old movies that have yet to
>>be made on DVD ever seeing the light of day. I mean if a studio won't put
>>even a barebones DVD of "Vibes" on current DVD format what hope is there
>>that when it costs the studios more to work with HD-DVD's that they will
>>ever bother. Maybe Im worried about nothing but curious to hear what
>>others
>>think on the Subject.

> Initialy the costs will be higher just like CD vs. LP or DVD vs. CD, but
> the costs will come down as the technology matures.
>
> I would expect the cost of making HDDVD in quantity to be under a nickel
> a copy.

i do agree, older movies are hard to get now on dvd and unless the quality
is watchable they never see the light of day. Lets hope that hddvd is only
limited to new movies rather than re issueing old stuff, i dont mind paying
extra for a new movie with hd but would still like to see old movie released
in normal dvd quality so when get the benefit and those who dont have hd tvs
or players

dave

Jay G.

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 12:55:07 GMT, Dragon wrote:

> i do agree, older movies are hard to get now on dvd and unless the quality
> is watchable they never see the light of day. Lets hope that hddvd is only
> limited to new movies rather than re issueing old stuff, i dont mind paying
> extra for a new movie with hd but would still like to see old movie released
> in normal dvd quality so when get the benefit and those who dont have hd tvs
> or players

Older films will be released on HD. However, they still will be released
on DVD as well. DVD is too large a market for anyone to ignore, and most
films being released on DVD nowadays are mastered in HD anyway.

-Jay

AZ Nomad

On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 13:26:37 -0600, Jay G. <"Jay "@tmbg.org> wrote:

>On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 12:55:07 GMT, Dragon wrote:
>>
>> i do agree, older movies are hard to get now on dvd and unless the quality
>> is watchable they never see the light of day. Lets hope that hddvd is only
>> limited to new movies rather than re issueing old stuff, i dont mind paying
>> extra for a new movie with hd but would still like to see old movie released
>> in normal dvd quality so when get the benefit and those who dont have hd tvs
>> or players

>Older films will be released on HD. However, they still will be released
>on DVD as well. DVD is too large a market for anyone to ignore, and most
>films being released on DVD nowadays are mastered in HD anyway.

How long were laserdisk players made once dvd arrived? 3 years?
I'd expect dvd players to vanish in not much longer, perhaps 4 or 5 years.

Biz

I would agree except that DVDs have a much deeper market penetration than
LDs did...

So I would double that estimate.....And of course this all stems on how well
HD/Blu-ray takes off. If it gets a slow start like LD had, it could take
much longer or fail altogether

"AZ Nomad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 13:26:37 -0600, Jay G. <"Jay "@tmbg.org> wrote:
>

> >On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 12:55:07 GMT, Dragon wrote:
> >>
> >> i do agree, older movies are hard to get now on dvd and unless the

quality
> >> is watchable they never see the light of day. Lets hope that hddvd is

only
> >> limited to new movies rather than re issueing old stuff, i dont mind

paying
> >> extra for a new movie with hd but would still like to see old movie

released
> >> in normal dvd quality so when get the benefit and those who dont have

hd tvs
> >> or players

> >Older films will be released on HD. However, they still will be released
> >on DVD as well. DVD is too large a market for anyone to ignore, and most
> >films being released on DVD nowadays are mastered in HD anyway.

> How long were laserdisk players made once dvd arrived? 3 years?
> I'd expect dvd players to vanish in not much longer, perhaps 4 or 5 years.

Dragon

"Jay G." <"Jay "@tmbg.org> wrote in message
news:kh5rz19vbx4y.1vjogmy3wu0y5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 12:55:07 GMT, Dragon wrote:
>>
>> i do agree, older movies are hard to get now on dvd and unless the
>> quality
>> is watchable they never see the light of day. Lets hope that hddvd is
>> only
>> limited to new movies rather than re issueing old stuff, i dont mind
>> paying
>> extra for a new movie with hd but would still like to see old movie
>> released
>> in normal dvd quality so when get the benefit and those who dont have hd
>> tvs
>> or players

> Older films will be released on HD. However, they still will be released
> on DVD as well. DVD is too large a market for anyone to ignore, and most
> films being released on DVD nowadays are mastered in HD anyway.
>
> -Jay

that will do me all i need to do now is consider a hd dvd player if they are
worth the money and how much do they differ from normal dvd players playing
on a hdtv

TBerk

Won't the HD DVD players be also able to play conventional DVDs?

TBerk

AZ Nomad

On 9 Mar 2006 14:25:32 -0800, TBerk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Won't the HD DVD players be also able to play conventional DVDs?

yup

There won't be any reason to own a dvd player once hddvd has been out for
a while.

Joshua Zyber

"AZ Nomad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How long were laserdisk players made once dvd arrived? 3 years?
> I'd expect dvd players to vanish in not much longer, perhaps 4 or 5
> years.

Laserdisc players were a niche market that never achieved wide
acceptance. DVD players, on the other hand, are found in most homes. A
better comparison is to ask how long it took VCRs to disappear once DVD
players were available. Oh wait, they still make those.

security concern with bridge mode in xp =?Utf-8?B?bmljaw==?= Wireless Networking 0 12-20-2004 03:27 AM
PIX 515 Security Concern Ste Cisco 2 09-30-2004 01:00 AM
To whom it may concern =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE?= MCSE 17 04-06-2004 12:35 AM
Bug or security concern related to upload of binary files and IHttpModule? Kenneth Myhra ASP .Net 2 02-16-2004 01:43 PM
Cisco IPSEC VPN to CheckPoint firewall and linux server concern qazaka Cisco 0 10-09-2003 08:18 AM

Advertisments