Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > LG Blu-ray Disc player To Also Support HD DVD.

LG Blu-ray Disc player To Also Support HD DVD.

Allan

LG has apparently abandoned plans to ship a Blu-ray DIsc player this
Spring, and appears instead to be preparing a dual-mode system that
incorporates HD DVD support too. So, at any rate, claims a memo
allegedly sent by the company's US sales chief to staff last week.

The memo, cited by consumer electronics industry-watching website CE
Pro, says the BD199 Blu-ray Disc player will not ship when originally
intended because of "uncertainty in this early stage of the market for
pre-recorded high-definition optical discs".

LG launched the BD199 in January at the Consumer Electronics Show. At
the time, it said the player would ship in Q2. However, the company
was notable by its absence from a statement put out last week by
Blu-ray backers preparing to release hardware and content on or after
23 May.

LG - which signed an optical disc drive pact with HD DVD leader
Toshiba in February - now seems to believe a dual-format player would
be a better product to ship than one supporting just one of the two
rival next-generation formats.

Curiously, Samsung indicated last Autumn that it had a dual-format
device in the pipeline, but has since distanced itself from the
scheme. It looks set to be the first company to ship a Blu-ray player
into the US market.

The LG memo says the company's dual-format player is planned for late
Summer or early Autumn, according to CE Pro.

[ http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/03..._hd-dvd_plans/ ]

- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

Heinrich Galland

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allan
<(E-Mail Removed) > wrote:

> LG has apparently abandoned plans to ship a Blu-ray DIsc player this
> Spring, and appears instead to be preparing a dual-mode system that
> incorporates HD DVD support too. So, at any rate, claims a memo
> allegedly sent by the company's US sales chief to staff last week.
>
> The memo, cited by consumer electronics industry-watching website CE
> Pro, says the BD199 Blu-ray Disc player will not ship when originally
> intended because of "uncertainty in this early stage of the market for
> pre-recorded high-definition optical discs".
>
> LG launched the BD199 in January at the Consumer Electronics Show. At
> the time, it said the player would ship in Q2. However, the company
> was notable by its absence from a statement put out last week by
> Blu-ray backers preparing to release hardware and content on or after
> 23 May.
>
> LG - which signed an optical disc drive pact with HD DVD leader
> Toshiba in February - now seems to believe a dual-format player would
> be a better product to ship than one supporting just one of the two
> rival next-generation formats.
>
> Curiously, Samsung indicated last Autumn that it had a dual-format
> device in the pipeline, but has since distanced itself from the
> scheme. It looks set to be the first company to ship a Blu-ray player
> into the US market.
>
> The LG memo says the company's dual-format player is planned for late
> Summer or early Autumn, according to CE Pro.
>
> [ http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/03..._hd-dvd_plans/ ]

Curious! It was my understanding that neither Toshiba nor Sony would
license a dual format player. Has this changed?

Heinrich