Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Replacing chipset on DVD player?

Replacing chipset on DVD player?

makbertodelete@anothermessage.com

Hello, readers!

I have a question: is it possible to replace the chipset of a DVD
player with a different chipset that a different DVD player has? I am
thinking about replacing the default chipset of a Norcent DVD player
with the chipset of the Kiss DVD players or Sigma 85XX. Why am I
interested in doing this? Because the Sigma chipsets have more support
for different files, like Ogg Vorbis, Wav files, etc. So, if this is
possible to do, could you please advice me of a place where I can take
the DVD player to?

Please, I am not discussing here whether this is "logical" to do from
an economical standpoint. I am just analyzing the technical
possibilities here, and that's all.

All the best,

Carlos Albert Lacaye
makberto(at)anothermessage(dot)com

Marv Soloff

Only if both machines were made by the same prime vendor to the same
prints. I.E. the same machine despite what they are called.
Otherwise you risk being in deep kimchee.

Regards,

Marv

> Hello, readers!
>
> I have a question: is it possible to replace the chipset of a DVD
> player with a different chipset that a different DVD player has? I am
> thinking about replacing the default chipset of a Norcent DVD player
> with the chipset of the Kiss DVD players or Sigma 85XX. Why am I
> interested in doing this? Because the Sigma chipsets have more support
> for different files, like Ogg Vorbis, Wav files, etc. So, if this is
> possible to do, could you please advice me of a place where I can take
> the DVD player to?
>
> Please, I am not discussing here whether this is "logical" to do from
> an economical standpoint. I am just analyzing the technical
> possibilities here, and that's all.
>
> All the best,
>
> Carlos Albert Lacaye
> makberto(at)anothermessage(dot)com

AZ Nomad

On 3 Mar 2006 04:01:40 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello, readers!

>I have a question: is it possible to replace the chipset of a DVD
>player with a different chipset that a different DVD player has? I am
>thinking about replacing the default chipset of a Norcent DVD player
>with the chipset of the Kiss DVD players or Sigma 85XX. Why am I
>interested in doing this? Because the Sigma chipsets have more support
>for different files, like Ogg Vorbis, Wav files, etc. So, if this is
>possible to do, could you please advice me of a place where I can take
>the DVD player to?

How are you at soldering SMT components at 40 pins/inch? Do you have
schematics for both players? Are you OK with rewiring a couple of hundred
connections and designing custom interface circuitry?

If your time is worth more than about a ten cents an hour, sell your old
unit and buy the unit you want.

>Please, I am not discussing here whether this is "logical" to do from
>an economical standpoint. I am just analyzing the technical
>possibilities here, and that's all.

Of course it isn't.

>All the best,

>Carlos Albert Lacaye
>makberto(at)anothermessage(dot)com

Biz

For this to even be possible, you would need a firmware update/hack to
recognize the new chips, and all associated chips would also need to be
replaced...the chips would have to be identical in pinout configuration,
etc....the chances of all that coming together, AND you or just about anyone
else having the ability to do it successfully are slim to none...

From just about all points of view, it would not be doable, and would be
much smarter to just get one of the players that supports all the formats
you want, ie, BUYING one of the players you mentioned....

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hello, readers!
>
> I have a question: is it possible to replace the chipset of a DVD
> player with a different chipset that a different DVD player has? I am
> thinking about replacing the default chipset of a Norcent DVD player
> with the chipset of the Kiss DVD players or Sigma 85XX. Why am I
> interested in doing this? Because the Sigma chipsets have more support
> for different files, like Ogg Vorbis, Wav files, etc. So, if this is
> possible to do, could you please advice me of a place where I can take
> the DVD player to?
>
> Please, I am not discussing here whether this is "logical" to do from
> an economical standpoint. I am just analyzing the technical
> possibilities here, and that's all.
>
> All the best,
>
> Carlos Albert Lacaye
> makberto(at)anothermessage(dot)com

Gene E. Bloch

Biz -

You know, given the realities of the situation, I would say that you
are being way too optimistic

I absolutely agree with you - the best (only!) way to replace the
chipset is to buy it already set up on a new machine.

Gino

On 3/03/2006, Biz managed to type:

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino)
letters617blochg3251

makbertodelete@anothermessage.com

Hello, Gino!

Thanks for your reply (and everybody else's).

Okay, do I understand correctly that buying two machines and trying to
come up with one is also, well, as some would say, "desilusional"?

As for my reasons for doing this beyond more compatability, please
E-mail me privately. They are irrelevant to this technical topic.

Best to all,

Carlos Albert Lacaye
makberto(at)anothermessage(dot)com

Which chipset does the DSE G3086 DVD player use? Peter Gutmann NZ Computing 0 02-11-2010 03:04 AM
Question on replacing DVD Rom drive with DVD/RW Lou Computer Support 5 12-09-2006 02:28 AM
Chipset Heatsinks unholy Hardware 18 09-12-2005 02:50 PM
Replacing - and not Replacing... Rob Meade ASP General 5 04-11-2005 06:49 PM