Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > WMP 10 - no video frame capture?

WMP 10 - no video frame capture?

Terry Pinnell

I've asked this in the WMP newsgroups but had no answer. Anyone know
whether it is possible to capture a frame screenshot while playing a
video (e.g. an AVI file) in WMP 10 please?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Richard Crowley

"Terry Pinnell" wrote...
> I've asked this in the WMP newsgroups but had no answer.
> Anyone know whether it is possible to capture a frame
> screenshot while playing a video (e.g. an AVI file) in
> WMP 10 please?

Likely none of them has ever heard of that feature, and
neither have I. I'd bet that functionality does not exist.
That function isn't technically within the charter of a
"player".

Terry Pinnell

"Richard Crowley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Terry Pinnell" wrote...
>> I've asked this in the WMP newsgroups but had no answer.
>> Anyone know whether it is possible to capture a frame
>> screenshot while playing a video (e.g. an AVI file) in
>> WMP 10 please?

>Likely none of them has ever heard of that feature, and
>neither have I. I'd bet that functionality does not exist.
>That function isn't technically within the charter of a
>"player".

The following are just four players that come to mind, and they all
have that basic feature:

- PowerDVD
- IrfanView
- Nero ShowTime
- VLC Media Player

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

MikeLeeB

..
I just tried something real quick and it worked. Cue up your frame,
for WMP select View, Full Screen, wait a few seconds for the player
toolbars to retract, hit your PrtScnSysRq (Print Screen) button to the
upper right of your keyboad, hit your Esc key, hit Start in your bottom
toolbar, select (All) Programs, Accessories, Paint, Edit, Paste, File,
and Save.

MikeLeeB

Richard Crowley

"Terry Pinnell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Richard Crowley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>"Terry Pinnell" wrote...
>>> I've asked this in the WMP newsgroups but had no answer.
>>> Anyone know whether it is possible to capture a frame
>>> screenshot while playing a video (e.g. an AVI file) in
>>> WMP 10 please?

>>Likely none of them has ever heard of that feature, and
>>neither have I. I'd bet that functionality does not exist.
>>That function isn't technically within the charter of a
>>"player".

> The following are just four players that come to mind, and they all
> have that basic feature:
>
> - PowerDVD
> - IrfanView
> - Nero ShowTime
> - VLC Media Player

None of those are published by a high-profile company with
a huge stake in DRM.

Terry Pinnell

"MikeLeeB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>.
>I just tried something real quick and it worked. Cue up your frame,
>for WMP select View, Full Screen, wait a few seconds for the player
>toolbars to retract, hit your PrtScnSysRq (Print Screen) button to the
>upper right of your keyboad, hit your Esc key, hit Start in your bottom
>toolbar, select (All) Programs, Accessories, Paint, Edit, Paste, File,
>and Save.

Thanks, that does the trick!

I was surprised it worked. I should have tried that myself but I
assumed it would fail just as all my previous attempts to use a
standard capture technique had failed in the past with video. Players
like PowerDVD and Nero ShowTime etc all produce an 'empty' result.
Must be something special about WMP 10. I can't be sure, but I don't
think WMP 9 could do that.

BTW, I sometimes find that after using (Alt+Enter) to get full screen,
the blue panels fail to disappear. Happily though, the capture doesn't
actually need to be full screen. Also, any capture utility works too.
And most allow capturing a specific window, so that avoids having to
crop as is the case with Print Scrn. I used Snagit.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

David Z

Try disabling hardware acceleration for video in windows first.

"Terry Pinnell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've asked this in the WMP newsgroups but had no answer. Anyone know
> whether it is possible to capture a frame screenshot while playing a
> video (e.g. an AVI file) in WMP 10 please?
>
> --
> Terry, West Sussex, UK

sandyprice@msn.com

Terry:

If you hold down the ALT key and then press print screen, you will only
capture the active window. At least that works on this side of the Big
Pond

Mike

Terry Pinnell wrote:
> "MikeLeeB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >.
> >I just tried something real quick and it worked. Cue up your frame,
> >for WMP select View, Full Screen, wait a few seconds for the player
> >toolbars to retract, hit your PrtScnSysRq (Print Screen) button to the
> >upper right of your keyboad, hit your Esc key, hit Start in your bottom
> >toolbar, select (All) Programs, Accessories, Paint, Edit, Paste, File,
> >and Save.

> Thanks, that does the trick!
>
> I was surprised it worked. I should have tried that myself but I
> assumed it would fail just as all my previous attempts to use a
> standard capture technique had failed in the past with video. Players
> like PowerDVD and Nero ShowTime etc all produce an 'empty' result.
> Must be something special about WMP 10. I can't be sure, but I don't
> think WMP 9 could do that.
>
> BTW, I sometimes find that after using (Alt+Enter) to get full screen,
> the blue panels fail to disappear. Happily though, the capture doesn't
> actually need to be full screen. Also, any capture utility works too.
> And most allow capturing a specific window, so that avoids having to
> crop as is the case with Print Scrn. I used Snagit.
>
> --
> Terry, West Sussex, UK

Terry Pinnell

>Terry:
>
>If you hold down the ALT key and then press print screen, you will only
>capture the active window. At least that works on this side of the Big
>Pond
>
>Mike
>
>Terry Pinnell wrote:
>> "MikeLeeB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >.
>> >I just tried something real quick and it worked. Cue up your frame,
>> >for WMP select View, Full Screen, wait a few seconds for the player
>> >toolbars to retract, hit your PrtScnSysRq (Print Screen) button to the
>> >upper right of your keyboad, hit your Esc key, hit Start in your bottom
>> >toolbar, select (All) Programs, Accessories, Paint, Edit, Paste, File,
>> >and Save.

>> Thanks, that does the trick!
>>
>> I was surprised it worked. I should have tried that myself but I
>> assumed it would fail just as all my previous attempts to use a
>> standard capture technique had failed in the past with video. Players
>> like PowerDVD and Nero ShowTime etc all produce an 'empty' result.
>> Must be something special about WMP 10. I can't be sure, but I don't
>> think WMP 9 could do that.
>>
>> BTW, I sometimes find that after using (Alt+Enter) to get full screen,
>> the blue panels fail to disappear. Happily though, the capture doesn't
>> actually need to be full screen. Also, any capture utility works too.
>> And most allow capturing a specific window, so that avoids having to
>> crop as is the case with Print Scrn. I used Snagit.
>>
>> --
>> Terry, West Sussex, UK

Yes, Alt+Prnt Scrn works this side too, although Snagit is more
flexible for complex windows with several sections.

HOWEVER, today I can no longer get WMP 10 to capture any video frames
regardless of what method is used!

IOW, my test 2 days ago, which was the basis of my pleased but
surprised reply to Mike, must have been a quirk. It has reverted to
the behaviour I was previously familiar with. And that's not just WMP;
it's universal for all 'standard' capture tools. You get a sort of
transparent result.

It's really bizarre that I should have got a result before. I'm
wondering if it's perhaps connected with David Z's suggestion about
hardware acceleration? I always have that set to max as I don't like
the idea of limiting my PC's performance. But maybe there happened to
be so much other CPU activity occurring at the time I tried that test
that it had the same effect as reducing hardware acceleration? And
that somehow allows a 'standard' capture tool to capture video?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Stan Brown

Wed, 01 Mar 2006 07:48:55 +0000 from Terry Pinnell
<(E-Mail Removed)>:
> HOWEVER, today I can no longer get WMP 10 to capture any video frames
> regardless of what method is used!
>
> ... You get a sort of transparent result.
>
> ... I'm wondering if it's perhaps connected with David Z's
> suggestion about hardware acceleration?

The odds are excellent that it is.

I do screen captures in PowerDVD, and the help file warns
specifically about hardware acceleration as a problem for them.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/