Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > US to UK DVDs?

US to UK DVDs?

Bubba

I have been using a SONY DRX-71OUL in conjunction with a little laptop
computer to burn slide show DVDs on trips. The DVDs play perfectly well on
my TVs in the US, but I am told that DVD players in the UK operate
differently.

Before I send a pile of useless discs overseas, could someone let me know
if these copies are likely to be play-able on machines commonly in use in
England. If not, is there a solution?

TIA

the dog from that film you saw

"Bubba" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:BTjMf.49983$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have been using a SONY DRX-71OUL in conjunction with a little laptop
>computer to burn slide show DVDs on trips. The DVDs play perfectly well on
>my TVs in the US, but I am told that DVD players in the UK operate
>differently.
>

> Before I send a pile of useless discs overseas, could someone let me know
> if these copies are likely to be play-able on machines commonly in use in
> England. If not, is there a solution?

yep - uk dvd players play NTSC discs fine - assuming you dont region code
them (and why would you).
only possible spanner in the works is if the tv of the person you are
sending them to is ancient and doesnt like ntsc - but that's unlikely.

--
Gareth.
Goblins are real... your Grandpa Seth is telling you!

Adrian

Bubba wrote:
> I have been using a SONY DRX-71OUL in conjunction with a little
> laptop computer to burn slide show DVDs on trips. The DVDs play
> perfectly well on my TVs in the US, but I am told that DVD players in
> the UK operate differently.
>

> Before I send a pile of useless discs overseas, could someone let me
> know if these copies are likely to be play-able on machines commonly
> in use in England. If not, is there a solution?
>

> TIA

_All_ UK DVD players will play NTSC discs without any problem, _nearly_ all
UK televisions will accept an NTSC signal. Some DVD players will convert
NTSC to PAL, so there is a very good chance whoever you send the discs to,
will be able to play them.
--
Adrian A

Paul Hyett

In rec.video.dvd.tech on Sun, 26 Feb 2006, Adrian wrote :

>_All_ UK DVD players will play NTSC discs without any problem, _nearly_ all
>UK televisions will accept an NTSC signal.

Mine doesn't - and it's only 6 years old.
--
Paul 'Charts Fan' Hyett

Adrian

Paul Hyett wrote:
> In rec.video.dvd.tech on Sun, 26 Feb 2006, Adrian wrote :
>>
>> _All_ UK DVD players will play NTSC discs without any problem,
>> _nearly_ all UK televisions will accept an NTSC signal.

> Mine doesn't - and it's only 6 years old.

Your what doesn't what?

{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Adrian:
> Paul Hyett wrote:
>> In rec.video.dvd.tech on Sun, 26 Feb 2006, Adrian wrote :
>>>
>>> _All_ UK DVD players will play NTSC discs without any problem,
>>> _nearly_ all UK televisions will accept an NTSC signal.

>> Mine doesn't - and it's only 6 years old.

> Your what doesn't what?

Can only mean TV. As all region 2 players will play NTSC, due to the fact
Japan is NTSC and is region 2, Europe is PAL and is region 2.

Or I wonder if they are getting confused with Region coding on the player, and
having tried an NTSC disc it didn't work, but that was due to region coding.

Though again, if they are on about the TV, wonder if it can really, as I can't
see a 6 year old TV not working with NTSC, unless this person isn't using a
fully wired scart on a RGB enable socket.

--
For 5 when referred to easyMobile contact me via
www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk

Paul Hyett

In rec.video.dvd.tech on Sun, 26 Feb 2006, Adrian wrote :
>Paul Hyett wrote:
>> In rec.video.dvd.tech on Sun, 26 Feb 2006, Adrian wrote :
>>>
>>> _All_ UK DVD players will play NTSC discs without any problem,
>>> _nearly_ all UK televisions will accept an NTSC signal.

>> Mine doesn't - and it's only 6 years old.

>Your what doesn't what?

My TV won't accept NTSC signals.
--
Paul 'Charts Fan' Hyett

Oldus Fartus

Paul Hyett wrote:
> In rec.video.dvd.tech on Sun, 26 Feb 2006, Adrian wrote :
>> Paul Hyett wrote:
>>> Mine doesn't - and it's only 6 years old.

>> Your what doesn't what?

> My TV won't accept NTSC signals.

Maybe not, but I am sure your player will output PAL from NTSC source.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

Adrian

Paul Hyett wrote:
> In rec.video.dvd.tech on Sun, 26 Feb 2006, Adrian wrote :
>> Paul Hyett wrote:

>>> Mine doesn't - and it's only 6 years old.

>> Your what doesn't what?

> My TV won't accept NTSC signals.

I'm surprised as it's only six years old, but I did say nearly all, I have a
15 year old JVC that won't lock onto a 60Hz signal but that's the only one
I've seen.
--
Adrian A

V1N

"Adrian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Paul Hyett wrote:

>>> Your what doesn't what?

>> My TV won't accept NTSC signals.

> I'm surprised as it's only six years old, but I did say nearly all, I have
> 15 year old JVC that won't lock onto a 60Hz signal but that's the only one
> I've seen.
> --
> Adrian A

and indeed I have a 16 year old Sony portable which I used to use an Amiga
on, which plays NTSC no probs.
I did hear of somebody near where I live though, with a fairly modern TV and
(Sony) DVD player, and would only play NTSC in B&W.
As was mentioned above, I wonder if fully wired scart socket is what makes
the difference.