Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Portable DVD Player

Portable DVD Player

John.P.McDevitt@gmail.com

I had a $100 gift card from Best Buy that I got for free, so tonight I
used part of it on a cheap Axion portable DVD player with a 4.2"
screen. After rebate it will come out to just $50.

I have not opened it yet though, and am beginning to have some second
thoughts.

I am a perfect candidate for a portable DVD player in general - I am on
the train for 1.5 hours a day, and there are many, many old TV shows on
DVD that I want to catch up on (I will get the bulk of these for free
from the library or rental coupons). My only concern is the screen
size and quality of the picture on this particular player. I can play
Gameboy Advance just fine on the train, and that's less than half the
screen size - but I hold it close to my face rather than down on my
lap, which is where the DVD player will probably go.

Does anybody have experience with this particular player, or anything
similar? The other option is Insignia (BB's own brand) for $100, which
is 7" - but the Geek Squad guy even told me he would take an Axion over
an Insignia. The next level up is around $200, and I don't want to go
that high at this point.

So for a guy who'll be watching episodes of Miami Vice, Columbo, and
Dynasty rather than the latest CGI movies, do you think this player is
acceptable?

no@none.com

On 25 Feb 2006 18:15:17 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>So for a guy who'll be watching episodes of Miami Vice, Columbo, and
>Dynasty rather than the latest CGI movies, do you think this player is
>acceptable?

If I can say this w/o sounding snarky, I suggest books. Audio books
on tape are good if you don't like reading on trains. Imagination is
more colorful than that small screen.

Otherwise, save up and buy a cheap laptop.

Aphelion

>I had a $100 gift card from Best Buy that I got for free, so tonight I
> used part of it on a cheap Axion portable DVD player with a 4.2"
> screen. After rebate it will come out to just $50.

I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than a 7" screen portable. Something
like that will be more than adequate for any content.

Aphelion

Tardo

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:1140920117.387645.174290
@p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

> Does anybody have experience with this particular player, or anything
> similar? The other option is Insignia (BB's own brand) for $100, which
> is 7" - but the Geek Squad guy even told me he would take an Axion over
> an Insignia. The next level up is around $200, and I don't want to go
> that high at this point.
>
> So for a guy who'll be watching episodes of Miami Vice, Columbo, and
> Dynasty rather than the latest CGI movies, do you think this player is
> acceptable?

I wouldn't get anything smaller than a 7". I bought a Polaroid (PDM-0723)
from Circuit City and I'm extremely happy with it. I picked it up for
$114.99 (after savings and rebate).

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Polar...VD-Player-PDM-
0723-/sem/rpsm/oid/121398/catOid/-12872/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do