Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Hi, what in your opinion is best quality DVD blank discs out there?

Hi, what in your opinion is best quality DVD blank discs out there?

jkygogo@yahoo.com

Hi, what is the best quality DVD Blank Discs out there? I'm looking
for dvd +R for 8x. What brank do you recommend? I've tried Verbatim.
What in your opinion is the best for more of a cheap price also and
quality?

Thanks.

Bob

On 24 Feb 2006 19:01:23 -0800, "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi, what is the best quality DVD Blank Discs out there? I'm looking
>for dvd +R for 8x. What brank do you recommend? I've tried Verbatim.
>What in your opinion is the best for more of a cheap price also and
>quality?

The quality of blank discs has deteriorated markedly as manufacturers
attempt to meet the explosive demand that has occurred recently. If
anyone disagrees with my assessment below, make sure you are up to
date in your assessment.

There is only one +/-R disc you can trust completely - Taiyo Yuden
(TY). For +/- RW, go with Verbatim, since TY does not make re-writable
discs. All the others are either pure crap or a crap shoot.

Mitsubishi Chemical Co, makers of Verbatim, has opened new plants
outside Japan and the discs coming from those plants are highly
variable. I had 12 coasters out of 90 burns with a batch of 16x -Rs
about 3 months ago (burnt at 12x). They were made at MCC's new
facility in Taiwan.

The top three suppliers for TY are:

rima.com
supermediastore.com
meritline.com

The cost of shipping pays for sales tax and gas on a local purchase,
so it's a wash. I just got 100 TY 8x -Rs from Rima for 32 cents plus
shipping, a total of about 37 cents each.

While you are there, look at some of the things like small cakeboxes
for storage, disc cleaners, wallets, etc, because the incremental cost
of shipping them with 100 discs is nominal.

depends on the unreasonable man."

Vinella

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 19:01:23 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Hi, what is the best quality DVD Blank Discs out there? I'm looking for
> dvd +R for 8x. What brank do you recommend? I've tried Verbatim. What in
> your opinion is the best for more of a cheap price also and quality?
>
> Thanks.

There is no such thing. The quality not only varies with brand but from
batch to batch within the same brand.

The only way I have found to work is to purchase three or four brands
during a part of the month that is slow for retail sales. (So that the
same stock is still on the shelf). Do some fast testing on each, then go
back and stock up on whichever is best, making sure that the lot numbers
are the same.

Vin

Alpha

Taiyo Yuden for inexpensive discs. Supermeidastore or meritline as vendor.

For the very best, Mitusi-A gold DVD-R.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi, what is the best quality DVD Blank Discs out there? I'm looking
> for dvd +R for 8x. What brank do you recommend? I've tried Verbatim.
> What in your opinion is the best for more of a cheap price also and
> quality?
>
> Thanks.

Bob

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 08:54:38 -0600, Vinella <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>> Hi, what is the best quality DVD Blank Discs out there?

>There is no such thing. The quality not only varies with brand but from
>batch to batch within the same brand.

While even Taiyo Yuden will have an occasional coaster, the success
rate is very high compared to the others. Even the others once
considered the best are now a crap shoot.

>The only way I have found to work is to purchase three or four brands
>during a part of the month that is slow for retail sales. (So that the
>same stock is still on the shelf). Do some fast testing on each, then go
>back and stock up on whichever is best, making sure that the lot numbers
>are the same.

Better yet, buy only TY at the largest wholesalers like rima.com.

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 12:37:02 -0800, "Alpha" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Taiyo Yuden for inexpensive discs. Supermediastore or meritline as vendor.

Check with rima.com too.

depends on the unreasonable man."

jkygogo@yahoo.com

With all the inferior quality available out there, I can only mainly
rely on my VCR. In fact when I want to make sure I get some recorded,
I have been attempting to burn discs on my Cyberhome 1200 (rather
unreliable DVD burner) while at the same time recording on the VCR
which I did while watching the Olympics this year. Pretty sad that the
technology is not up there with the more reliable VCR at present. I
can be more trusting of my VCR rather than my DVD burner, pretty sad.

Charlie Hoffpauir

On 27 Feb 2006 22:03:26 -0800, "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>With all the inferior quality available out there, I can only mainly
>rely on my VCR. In fact when I want to make sure I get some recorded,
>I have been attempting to burn discs on my Cyberhome 1200 (rather
>unreliable DVD burner) while at the same time recording on the VCR
>which I did while watching the Olympics this year. Pretty sad that the
>technology is not up there with the more reliable VCR at present. I
>can be more trusting of my VCR rather than my DVD burner, pretty sad.

For more reliable recordings, use a Tivo or a DVD recorder with an
internal hard drive. If you record first to the hard drive (Tivo or
DVDR) *then* to a DVD, you can always re-record if the DVD blank is
bad. And, if you're using a DVDR with a hard drive, you can dump to
the DVD at a reasonable speed instead of 1X. Plus, if you choose, you
can edit the content before recording.
Charlie Hoffpauir