Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Newbie question - plasma, LCD, or DLP?

Newbie question - plasma, LCD, or DLP?

br2001@webtv.net

I'm considering purchasing, perhaps, the new Sony Bravia 32" or 40" LCD
monitor as my first adventure into HD... Any thoughts or opinions on the
merits or the minuses of a plasma vs. LCD vs. DLP display would be much
appreciated. Hell, even the Sony 34" HD CRT was being considered before
seeing the Bravia. Good ol' CRT looks great but what a behemoth. Thanks
in advance........

Charlie Hoffpauir

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 10:07:39 -0500, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I'm considering purchasing, perhaps, the new Sony Bravia 32" or 40" LCD
>monitor as my first adventure into HD... Any thoughts or opinions on the
>merits or the minuses of a plasma vs. LCD vs. DLP display would be much
>appreciated. Hell, even the Sony 34" HD CRT was being considered before
>seeing the Bravia. Good ol' CRT looks great but what a behemoth. Thanks
>in advance........

I think there are many factors that depend on your particular
circumstances.... data that you haven't given, like rooms size, viewer
position(s), space available for the unit, lighting conditions, etc.
Each type has pros and cons for lots of different requirements.
Determine yours and then compare how each type fits those
requirements.

In "general", LCDs seem to have an advantage in the smaller screen
sizes, Plasma in the larger, and DLP in price. But there are so many
other factors to consider....
Charlie Hoffpauir

xeaglecrest@att.net

Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:

> In "general", LCDs seem to have an advantage in the smaller screen
> sizes, Plasma in the larger, and DLP in price. But there are so many
> other factors to consider....
> Charlie Hoffpauir
> http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~charlieh/

One advantage DLP has over any other format: each time you replace the
lamp, the picture returns to the original quality as the day you bought
it. With LCD or Plasma, from the day you first turn it on the picture
is slowly degrading until you finally replace it with a new TV.

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:
>>
>> In "general", LCDs seem to have an advantage in the smaller screen
>> sizes, Plasma in the larger, and DLP in price. But there are so many
>> other factors to consider....
>> Charlie Hoffpauir
>> http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~charlieh/

Have you looked at JVC HD ILA sets?

Jordan

Plasma and LCD, to me, lack in picture quality. Jaggies are too
apparent. DLP looks beautiful and there are no burn in issues. JVC has
a nice setup with their HD iLA sets as well... but Plasma and LCD? I
just don't think they were meant for anything bigger than monitors.

- Jordan