Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Know how to burn 2 single-layer (DVD-5) discs to 1 double-layer (DVD-9) disc?

Know how to burn 2 single-layer (DVD-5) discs to 1 double-layer (DVD-9) disc?

otivo

Lots of info on the reverse (DVD-9 to DVD-5). However, could someone
please help with the following scenario:

Using DVD Shrink 3.2, ripped 2 ISO images from a 2 disc-set DVD on to
Hard Drive. How does one burn both ISO images onto ONE double layer
DVD (DVD+R DL) using Nero Burning ROM 7.0.1.4?

Thanks!

Bernie Woodham

"otivo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Lots of info on the reverse (DVD-9 to DVD-5). However, could someone
> please help with the following scenario:
>
> Using DVD Shrink 3.2, ripped 2 ISO images from a 2 disc-set DVD on to
> Hard Drive. How does one burn both ISO images onto ONE double layer
> DVD (DVD+R DL) using Nero Burning ROM 7.0.1.4?
>
> Thanks!

I think first you would have to combine the two using something like dvd2avi
and then re-encode.

Oldus Fartus

otivo wrote:
> Lots of info on the reverse (DVD-9 to DVD-5). However, could someone
> please help with the following scenario:
>
> Using DVD Shrink 3.2, ripped 2 ISO images from a 2 disc-set DVD on to
> Hard Drive. How does one burn both ISO images onto ONE double layer
> DVD (DVD+R DL) using Nero Burning ROM 7.0.1.4?
>
> Thanks!

My initial reaction was that it could not be done, unless you had ripped
the DVDs to your hard drive as files rather than ISO, but before
replying I had a try at it.

DVD Shrink doesn't appear to be able to open ISOs, but it can be fooled
into doing so.

Open DVD Shrink, and click on Re-Author. Open My Computer and find
your first ISO and drag it into the DVD Browser pane of DVD Shrink.
When it has finished analyzing, drag your main title into the
compilation pane.

Then find your second ISO in My Computer and drag into the DVD Browser
pane. You will note that the button at the top of the screen will
change to Full Disc. Click on the Re-Author button, and the left pane
will go back to showing the title from your first ISO, and the right
pane will show the sections of the second ISO. Drag the required title
from the Browser pane over into the left (compilation) pane and you have
your DVD ready to go.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

Oldus Fartus

Oldus Fartus wrote:
> otivo wrote:
>> Lots of info on the reverse (DVD-9 to DVD-5). However, could someone
>> please help with the following scenario:
>>
>> Using DVD Shrink 3.2, ripped 2 ISO images from a 2 disc-set DVD on to
>> Hard Drive. How does one burn both ISO images onto ONE double layer
>> DVD (DVD+R DL) using Nero Burning ROM 7.0.1.4?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

> My initial reaction was that it could not be done, unless you had ripped
> the DVDs to your hard drive as files rather than ISO, but before
> replying I had a try at it.
>
> DVD Shrink doesn't appear to be able to open ISOs, but it can be fooled
> into doing so.
>
> Open DVD Shrink, and click on Re-Author. Open My Computer and find
> your first ISO and drag it into the DVD Browser pane of DVD Shrink. When
> it has finished analyzing, drag your main title into the compilation pane.
>
> Then find your second ISO in My Computer and drag into the DVD Browser
> pane. You will note that the button at the top of the screen will
> change to Full Disc. Click on the Re-Author button, and the left pane
> will go back to showing the title from your first ISO, and the right
> pane will show the sections of the second ISO. Drag the required title
> from the Browser pane over into the left (compilation) pane and you have
> your DVD ready to go.

Whoops. My apologies, I made a mistake of not fully reading the
original post and gave you instructions for using DVD Shrink rather than
Nero.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

otivo

No problem - Thanks for trying! Quick question from this newbie... as
far as i know, DVD shrink does not burn on DVD discs - is that right?
All I need is to be able to capture a 2-disc set onto one double layer
disc. It matters not how I go about it. I could do it from ISO images
or files on hard drive, etc. If there's any way to get this done, I
can re-do my initial encoding and/or start over. Oldus? Anyone?
Thanks!

Oldus Fartus

otivo wrote:
> No problem - Thanks for trying! Quick question from this newbie... as
> far as i know, DVD shrink does not burn on DVD discs - is that right?
> All I need is to be able to capture a 2-disc set onto one double layer
> disc. It matters not how I go about it. I could do it from ISO images
> or files on hard drive, etc. If there's any way to get this done, I
> can re-do my initial encoding and/or start over. Oldus? Anyone?
> Thanks!

In that case, it is fairly easy, but you should be aware you will lose
the menus.

DVD Shrink does not burn itself, but if you have Nero it will use the
Nero burning engine to burn the disc, so the exercise becomes fairly easy.

First rip to hard drive as files. It is probably easier to set the
target DVD size at this stage to DVD 9 (under the Edit - Preferences
menu). You only need to rip the main movie with required soundtracks.
Do this with both parts of your 2 disc set.

Once you have both parts in separate folders on your hard drive click on
the Re-Author button.

Using the DVD Browser tab in the right pane, navigate to the first half
of the movie, select (usually) Title 1, and drag into the compilation
window. Repeat the process for the second half. (Even though the
second half will probably also be called title 1, when it is dragged
into the compilation pane the title will change to Title 1(2).

If you have Nero, it then becomes a no-brainer. Click on the Backup
button and select your backup target as your burner, and whatever you
want as the folder for temporary files. When done, click OK, and go
and make a coffee.

If you are not using Nero, then set the backup target to a folder on
your hard drive or to an ISO, and burn the resulting files using the
program of your choice.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

otivo

Thank you! I managed to get both discs onto one dvd-9. However, I
think I may have doubled my work a bit after I had Title 1 & Title 1
(2) in the compilation window. I selected to backup to a folder in my
hard drive, again, but now as one combined .iso file, then used Nero to
burn that image into the disc. I wondered if there would be a gap or
other if I selected the backup target as my burner. . . ? I might have
to try that sometime to cut down the process. Thanks for your
excellent help!

Goro

Oldus Fartus wrote:
> otivo wrote:
> > Lots of info on the reverse (DVD-9 to DVD-5). However, could someone
> > please help with the following scenario:
> >
> > Using DVD Shrink 3.2, ripped 2 ISO images from a 2 disc-set DVD on to
> > Hard Drive. How does one burn both ISO images onto ONE double layer
> > DVD (DVD+R DL) using Nero Burning ROM 7.0.1.4?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> My initial reaction was that it could not be done, unless you had ripped
> the DVDs to your hard drive as files rather than ISO, but before
> replying I had a try at it.

intrestingly, WinRAR will extract files from an ISO "archive".

-goro-