Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Gary

Re: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Is the updated with extended video and re-mastered audio worth getting over
the original release on DVD?

unclejr

Gary wrote:
> Is the updated with extended video and re-mastered audio worth getting over
> the original release on DVD?

In a word: yes.

<http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare3/goodbadugly.htm>

HTH,

-Junior

The Man With No Name

"Gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Re: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly
>
> Is the updated with extended video and re-mastered audio worth getting
> over
> the original release on DVD?

Firstly, if you do get the updated version, Region 1 is definitely the way
to go (since it includes the original Italian Mono. All the other versions
only have the atrocious 5.1 remix)

As for extras, picture-quality, etc...

Not sure how good or bad the original DVD's picture quality is... but this
one looks pretty darn good. Not one of those 'amazing' restoration/transfers
like on Citizen Kane (but, I wouldn't want the transfer to look too
pristine. This is a gritty with washed out colors and it should look that
way.)

Extras are well worth getting. Plenty of interesting featurettes,
storyboards/reconstructions of lost scenes, etc. etc.

A source of considerable debate is the restored scenes. All but one of
these were on the earlier DVD, but in this case they're re-dubbed and
incorporated into the film, which brings us to the big problem with this
release...

The sound is remixed in 5.1
I've heard that the gunshots in particular are changed quite a bit and if
you're already familiar with the older mono track, this remix will be very
annoying. Also, the remix makes heavy use of the left and right speakers for
dialogue from characters on the left and right side of the screen. If you
have a huge screen with speakers right next to it, this would be fairly
effective, but for most people this is very annoying (you may even find it
necessary to re-arrange your speakers every time you sit down to watch that
particular DVD.)
The deleted scenes, also, are re-incorporated into the film. The scenes
themselves are fine; this is a long, meandering film anyway, so most any
extra material isn't going to affect pacing or anything. But, because it's
re-dubbed many years later by some of the original actors, the change in
voices (especially Eli Wallach (Tuco) who's voice has changed considerably.
Every time he talks in a deleted scene, I think of Don Altobello,) is *very*
distracting.

So, basically, yes, I'd still recommend the new release. You can probably
pick it up at DVDPacific.com for under $15 and if you want to watch the film
in Italian, then it's a far better choice than the original release (not to
mention all those extras) But, definitely hold onto your older release for
the original mono soundtrack.

Bill Vermillion

In article <43fa9c9b$0$4512$(E-Mail Removed)>,
The Man With No Name <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Re: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

>> Is the updated with extended video and re-mastered audio worth
>> getting over the original release on DVD?

> Firstly, if you do get the updated version, Region 1 is
>definitely the way to go (since it includes the original Italian
>Mono. All the other versions only have the atrocious 5.1 remix)

> As for extras, picture-quality, etc...

> Not sure how good or bad the original DVD's picture quality
>is... but this one looks pretty darn good. Not one of those
>'amazing' restoration/transfers like on Citizen Kane (but, I
>wouldn't want the transfer to look too pristine. This is a gritty
>with washed out colors and it should look that way.)

The original was shot in Techniscope. That's standard 35MM but it
only pulled down two sprocket holes for each frame intead of four.
That mean that 1/2 as much film was used. And the picture on the
frame was wide-screen on the film. So when it was printed it was
stretched vertically and when projected it was stretched
horizonatlly so you lose some resolution there.

However all the Leone spaghetti westerns look awfully good in their
restored form.

Bill

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

wunnuy

The Man With No Name wrote:
> A source of considerable debate is the restored scenes. All but one of
> these were on the earlier DVD, but in this case they're re-dubbed and
> incorporated into the film, which brings us to the big problem with this
> release...
>> The deleted scenes, also, are re-incorporated into the film. The scenes

> themselves are fine; this is a long, meandering film anyway, so most any
> extra material isn't going to affect pacing or anything. But, because it's
> re-dubbed many years later by some of the original actors, the change in
> voices (especially Eli Wallach (Tuco) who's voice has changed considerably.
> Every time he talks in a deleted scene, I think of Don Altobello,) is *very*
> distracting.

The DVD is definitely worth owning, but I found Eastwood's dubbing the
most distracting. It sounded like someone trying to do an Eastwood
impression (despite being the real, older Eastwood).