Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Another sony problem : TVs won't turn off

Another sony problem : TVs won't turn off

Goro

yeah, this is about what you'd expect from Sony these days.

-goro-

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1926577,00.asp

OKYO (Reuters) - Japan's Sony Corp. said on Tuesday that about 400,000
Bravia brand liquid crystal display (LCD) and rear-projection TVs
launched last year may malfunction due to faulty software.

A Sony spokeswoman said that after 1,200 hours of use the TVs may not
be able to be turned off or switched out of stand-by-mode.

She said the TVs were sold in Japan, the United States, South America,
China and other Asian countries.

The software for those sets receiving digital or cable broadcasts can
be upgraded automatically but Sony must dispatch a person to fix those
TVs that are receiving analog signals, the spokeswoman said.

She declined to comment on how much it would cost to fix the problem.

The number of TVs affected comes to about 10 percent of the 4.2 million
LCD and rear-projection TVs Sony is aiming to sell in the current
business year to March.

Sony has enjoyed strong sales of its Bravia brand TVs since launching
them worldwide late last year, taking market share from LCD rival Sharp
Corp. in the United States market during the key year-end holiday
season.

Mercellus Bohren

Goro wrote:
> yeah, this is about what you'd expect from Sony these days.
>
> -goro-
>
> http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1926577,00.asp

This is starting to chip away at my sony = quality blinders.

alicamdun@yahoo.com

Goro wrote:
> yeah, this is about what you'd expect from Sony these days.
>
> -goro-
>
> http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1926577,00.asp

<snip>

"The instrument (the telescreen, it was called) could be dimmed,
but there was no way of shutting it off completely." ($1 to Orwell)

-Tom Enright

Kimba W. Lion

On 15 Feb 2006 06:29:20 -0800, "Mercellus Bohren" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>This is starting to chip away at my sony = quality blinders.

Mine were torn away back in the 80s.

James

"Mercellus Bohren" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Goro wrote:
>> yeah, this is about what you'd expect from Sony these days.
>>
>> -goro-
>>
>> http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1926577,00.asp
>>

> This is starting to chip away at my sony = quality blinders.

There are people who still think that????

Mercellus Bohren

Kimba W. Lion wrote:
> On 15 Feb 2006 06:29:20 -0800, "Mercellus Bohren" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >This is starting to chip away at my sony = quality blinders.

> Mine were torn away back in the 80s.

What makes you say this?

My experience:

Currently, I have a Sony WEGA CRT that displays 1080i HD. I have yet to
see a display that looks with the quality and depth of HD on a SONY CRT
display.
My 1st generation Sony PS1 is still works.
My 1st generation Sony PS2 still works.
I have a couple of Sony components in my sound system rack that are
around 20 years old. I'm no audiophile, but, I have yet to replace
these items because they still work really well.

Goro

Mercellus Bohren wrote:
> Kimba W. Lion wrote:
> > On 15 Feb 2006 06:29:20 -0800, "Mercellus Bohren" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >This is starting to chip away at my sony = quality blinders.

> > Mine were torn away back in the 80s.
> >

> What makes you say this?
>
> My experience:
>
> Currently, I have a Sony WEGA CRT that displays 1080i HD. I have yet to
> see a display that looks with the quality and depth of HD on a SONY CRT
> display.
> My 1st generation Sony PS1 is still works.
> My 1st generation Sony PS2 still works.
> I have a couple of Sony components in my sound system rack that are
> around 20 years old. I'm no audiophile, but, I have yet to replace
> these items because they still work really well.

Sony 36" WEGA CRTs (SD) had a noted dispay problem related to (IIRC)
having both component plugs and SVideo connected simoulatenously.

Grand Wega rear-projection TVs had noted black-level issues.

Sony DVD players after the DVP-S7000 had/have the chroma upsample
error.

Sony 1080p SXRD do not have 1080p inputs.

### ROOTKIT ###

IME, Sony used to have quality components and have thrived on that
reputation FAR longer than they deserve to. Now, their electronics are
equivalent to any other electronics company, no better not really worse
(except their WEGA CRTs were teh best, imo). But their marketing
would lead you to believe they are the bestest evahr (you know, like
Bose!).

Anecdotally, I've had several friends get screwed by Sony policies
regarding PCs (without registering, you don't get warranty or
something?) and others.

-goro-

Mercellus Bohren

James wrote:
> "Mercellus Bohren" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >
> > Goro wrote:
> >> yeah, this is about what you'd expect from Sony these days.
> >>
> >> -goro-
> >>
> >> http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1926577,00.asp
> >>

> > This is starting to chip away at my sony = quality blinders.

> There are people who still think that????

Yes, but I'm ready to be re-educated.
What's the quality electronics company these days?

AZ Nomad

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 15:11:57 -0000, James <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Mercellus Bohren" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) roups.com...
>>
>> Goro wrote:
>>> yeah, this is about what you'd expect from Sony these days.
>>>
>>> -goro-
>>>
>>> http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1926577,00.asp
>>>

>> This is starting to chip away at my sony = quality blinders.

>There are people who still think that????

I think they're the same people who think Bose are great speakers -- people
who only know from the marketing hype they read.

I've done a bit of repair of consumer electronics going back to the 70's,
and it was in the 80's where sony obviously switched to a company philosophy
of maximum profits no matter how unreliable their products became. I've
seen sony do stuff that would embarass a fly by night asian company.
Things like internal connectors that can only be used once; sheets of
plastic to keep a circuit board from shorting out against a metal case instead
of using three tenth of a penny spacers. Who cares if the plastic wears out
and the board shorts out if it'll probably last to the end of the warranty
period? sci.electronics.repair is full of sony horror stories.

Agent_C

On 15 Feb 2006 06:26:31 -0800, "Goro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>A Sony spokeswoman said that after 1,200 hours of use the TVs may not
>be able to be turned off or switched out of stand-by-mode.

Interesting parallel to a problem I have with a Toshiba DVD player.

If the unit is not used for more than 48 hours, it won't power-on with
the remote on/off button OR the power button on the unit itself. I
have to disconnect the power cord and plug it in again.

I dare not send it in for repair, for obvious reasons.

A_C