Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > StudentFilmmakers.com Hosts Second Annual PROJECT: FAIR Anti-Piracy PSA Contest and Online Showcase For VSDA

StudentFilmmakers.com Hosts Second Annual PROJECT: FAIR Anti-Piracy PSA Contest and Online Showcase For VSDA

Walter Traprock

StudentFilmmakers.com Hosts Second Annual PROJECT: FAIR Anti-Piracy PSA
Contest and Online Showcase For VSDA

Call for Entries - StudentFilmmakers.com hosts the second annual
PROJECT: FAIR Anti-Piracy PSA contest and online showcase for VSDA at
StudentFilmmakers.com, http://www.studentfilmmakers.com/projectfair/ ,
helping VSDA to spread the Project: FAIR (Filmmakers Against Illegal
Replication) mission and anti-piracy message while broadening the film
competition's audience and participants. Deadline for submissions is
May 1, 2006. There is no entry fee. The contest is open to all
filmmakers and video makers of all ages and levels.

"We were looking for an organization with a deep reach into the
student and independent film communities. We were impressed with the
information and resources on the StudentFilmmakers.com site and the
traffic the site receives. The organization also has experience in
hosting contests," said VSDA Vice President of Marketing and Industry
Relations, Carrie Dieterich. "We're especially excited that the
acceptable entries will be on the site for everyone to view. I think
it will create a terrific sense of community and competition - in the
best sense of the word."

The short film competition is looking for unique and creative
thirty-second short films that will educate the public about illegal
copying and speak out against illegal replication affecting the
entertainment industry. Judging will be on the basis of technical
skill, creativity, and insight into the anti-piracy message. All short
film entries will be showcased online.

The first place winner will receive a $1,000 scholarship/stipend and a
trip to Las Vegas to attend VSDA's Annual Convention. The second
prize winner will receive a $500 scholarship/stipend. The third prize
winner will receive a $250 scholarship/stipend. Additional prizes TBA.
For more information and updates, go to
http://www.studentfilmmakers.com/projectfair/ .

A panel of celebrity judges will review the entries and select the
winner(s) who will be honored at VSDA's Home Entertainment 2006, to
be held in July in Las Vegas. Winning thirty-second shorts will run on
monitors in over 4,000 video stores and be distributed to all major and
independent studios, entertainment organizations and guilds.

"Piracy is against the law. Not only is it against the law, but I
don't think people realize the magnitude of what they're doing,
especially when they illegally upload movies to websites for others to
download," said StudentFilmmakers.com Director, Kim E. Welch.
"There are so many good ideas out there and ways to express them. I'm
really waiting to see and anticipating what our filmmakers will
create."

More information about prizes, contest rules, filmmakers' guidelines,
advice to filmmakers, and details about Project: FAIR and VSDA is at
http://www.studentfilmmakers.com/projectfair/ . The Project: FAIR
Anti-Piracy PSA contest flyer can be downloaded at
http://www.studentfilmmakers.com/pro...jectfair06.pdf .

About Studentfilmmakers.com
Studentfilmmakers.com is a resource and creative community for aspiring
filmmakers, and its primary goal is to encourage and support new and
independent film and video makers of all ages and levels around the
world.
http://www.studentfilmmakers.com

About Project: FAIR
Project: FAIR (Filmmakers Against Illegal Replication) invites
filmmakers to create public service announcements that speak out
against motion picture, music and videogame theft. It's a way for
filmmakers to address the issue of illegal piracy in a positive way.

About VSDA
Established in 1981, the Video Software Dealers Association (VSDA) is
the not-for-profit international trade association for the $24 billion
home entertainment industry. VSDA represents more than 1,000 companies
throughout the United States, Canada, and other nations. Its members
operate more than 11,500 retail outlets in the U.S. that sell and/or
rent DVDs, VHS cassettes, and console video games. Membership comprises
the full spectrum of video retailers (from single-store operators to
large chains), video distributors, the home video divisions of major
and independent motion picture studios, and other related businesses
that constitute and support the home video entertainment industry.
http://www.vsda.org

just john

Walter Traprock wrote:

> "Piracy is against the law. Not only is it against the law, but I
> don't think people realize the magnitude of what they're doing,
> especially when they illegally upload movies to websites for others to
> download," said StudentFilmmakers.com Director, Kim E. Welch.
> "There are so many good ideas out there and ways to express them. I'm
> really waiting to see and anticipating what our filmmakers will
> create."

And I'm waiting for LeMur and Norel Pref to get their hands on the
results and remix the bejesus out of them! Thanks for the invite!

--
* Radio Free Entropy: http://just-john.com/cn/rfe.shtml *

Giles

just john wrote:
> Walter Traprock wrote:
>
> > "Piracy is against the law. Not only is it against the law, but I
> > don't think people realize the magnitude of what they're doing,
> > especially when they illegally upload movies to websites for others to
> > download," said StudentFilmmakers.com Director, Kim E. Welch.
> > "There are so many good ideas out there and ways to express them. I'm
> > really waiting to see and anticipating what our filmmakers will
> > create."
> >

> And I'm waiting for LeMur and Norel Pref to get their hands on the
> results and remix the bejesus out of them! Thanks for the invite!
>
> --

And remix they can:

Copyright: Entries must be dedicated to the public domain. Upon
submission, you agree that your entry is dedicated to the public
domain. You authorize VSDA to formalize your dedication of the work to
the public domain through the services of the Creative Commons.

Clearances: Even though you will dedicate your work to the public
domain, it is essential that all related clearances and permissions be
obtained prior to submission. Forms and a checklist are provided for
inclusion with your submission, and you will warrant that you have
obtained all applicable clearances.

In particular, filmmakers must provide signed release forms for all
on-camera talent and voiceovers. You must have a release for any and
all persons whose recognizable likeness appears in your film, and for
all other copyrighted works used in your film (including still images,
3D objects, music or musical compositions). Each form must contain
accurate contact information and an attached photo. Releases for minors
(anyone under the age of 18, or under the age of 19 in Alabama or
Nebraska) must be signed by the person's parent or guardian.

# Procedural Guidelines (to make life easier):
# To avoid delays and legal barriers, gather all signed release forms
and written permissions before you begin shooting.
# Any trademarked property or use of real property in your film must be
released.
# Any photos, footage, music or other copyrighted work used in your
film must also be released. If you create you own music, you should
still provide your own release.
# No logos, signs or any other trademarks (other than those belonging
to VSDA or Had To Be Made) should appear in your film. This includes
trademarks appearing on clothing, props or other objects. If a mark or
log must appear, it must be released.
# You should obtain consent from the appropriate authorities before
filming a public event.
# Respect privacy: Avoid filming license plates, phone numbers or other
personal information.