Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > SimpleDivX Does Not Support Subtitles

SimpleDivX Does Not Support Subtitles

Bob

I cannot get SimpleDivX to support subtitles.

I put the patch 1.40.17 in and it made things worse. Now I cannot get
subtitles on either WinDVD or my DVDR. It calls VobSub and claims that
it has processed sibtitles, but when there are none on the screen.

Before I used the patch I was running the official version, 1.40.14,
and it at least did put subtitles on WinDVD, but not my DVDR.

I am converting a short clip which does show subtitle when I run it as
a VOB in WinDVD, and SimpleDivX acknowledges the presence of a
subtitle stream.

WTF is going on?

--

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession.
I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first."

Randy

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I cannot get SimpleDivX to support subtitles.
>
> I put the patch 1.40.17 in and it made things worse. Now I cannot get
> subtitles on either WinDVD or my DVDR. It calls VobSub and claims that
> it has processed sibtitles, but when there are none on the screen.
>
> Before I used the patch I was running the official version, 1.40.14,
> and it at least did put subtitles on WinDVD, but not my DVDR.
>
> I am converting a short clip which does show subtitle when I run it as
> a VOB in WinDVD, and SimpleDivX acknowledges the presence of a
> subtitle stream.
>
> WTF is going on?

Why don't you submit this to their forum?

http://www.simpledivx.org/ib/

The developer is the administrator.

> "It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession.
> I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first."
> --Ronald Reagan

Bob

On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 21:01:30 -0700, "Randy"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> I am converting a short clip which does show subtitle when I run it as
>> a VOB in WinDVD, and SimpleDivX acknowledges the presence of a
>> subtitle stream.

>> WTF is going on?

>Why don't you submit this to their forum?

>http://www.simpledivx.org/ib/

>The developer is the administrator.

I thought of that but then I discovered some other things.

For example, I use DVD Shrink to reduce the size of a VOB (without
compression) so it is faster to test - say 5 minutes from a 45 minute
video title. I include the subtitle in English. Shrink then laysoff
the IFO and VOB.

I play the IFO in WinDVD and WMP and can see the subtitle when I tell
the player to display it. So I know it is there.

Then I import it into SimpleDivX and tell it to compile an AVI with
subtitle. However when I play the AVI, there is no subtitle. If I use
AutoGK on the same IFO, it too does not display the subtitle.

However, if I compile an AVI from the full title (no clipping with
Shrink) then I get subtitles with both SimpleDivX and AutoGK.

This makes no sense because both programs claim to process subtitles.

I tried lenghtening the clip to 10 minutes but that made no
difference. However when I used Shrink to clip off just a small amount
on the front and back of the title, both SimpleDivX and AutoGK worked
properly with respect to subtitles.

One other thing I noticed. AutoGK builds the subtitle into the AVI
whereas SimpleDivX lays it off as a separate file. If I delete that
file, then I lose the subtitle. That's no good because my DVDR is not
going to recognize separare subtitle files. I'm lucky it recognizes
AVIs.

Clearly I am struggling to come up to speed in an environment that is
not stable. Welcome to the bleeding edge.