Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > King Kong (2005) - will there be a 4-DVD extended edition?

King Kong (2005) - will there be a 4-DVD extended edition?

Mark

I was surprised to read that Peter Jackson's King Kong will only be a
2-DVD edition when released on March 28th. I thought for sure we'd get
a 4-DVD extended edition like his similarly long Lord of the Rings
movies got from New Line, but then I realized this was a Universal
rather than New Line release and that would be like expecting Toyota
quality out of a US auto maker.

Lately it seems Universal likes to announce 2-DVD editions (such as
The Blues Brothers, The Frighteners DC, or Dune EE) and then decides
to use a single DVD-18 (usually Made in Mexico which many people
report having playback problems) in place of 2 DVD-9s.

Does anyone know if we will only be getting a 2-DVD edition of King
Kong this year or if Universal is planning a stealth double-dip with a
4-DVD extended edition later this year?

I have respect for New Line having the decency to announce the 4-DVD
LOTR movies before the 2-DVD releases so I knew to wait, but I believe
most other studios purposefully plan to double-dip. Unless I have
reasonable confidence no 4-DVD edition is coming I'll have to pass on
this upcoming release. I've been double and triple dipped by most
studios too many times.

AZ Nomad

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 07:02:23 GMT, Mark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I was surprised to read that Peter Jackson's King Kong will only be a
>2-DVD edition when released on March 28th. I thought for sure we'd get
>a 4-DVD extended edition like his similarly long Lord of the Rings

why the **** would anybody want to watch eight hours worth of material
about that movie?

Bratboy

"AZ Nomad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 07:02:23 GMT, Mark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I was surprised to read that Peter Jackson's King Kong will only be a
>>2-DVD edition when released on March 28th. I thought for sure we'd get
>>a 4-DVD extended edition like his similarly long Lord of the Rings

> why the **** would anybody want to watch eight hours worth of material
> about that movie?

Well, at least in the past, PJ has added scene's to his extended movies that
make the 2 of the 4 disc's. For example all 3 of his LotR 4 disc sets - Each
movie is spread over 2 disc's and then the other 2 are extras and such.

Derek Janssen

Bratboy wrote:
> "AZ Nomad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 07:02:23 GMT, Mark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>I was surprised to read that Peter Jackson's King Kong will only be a
>>>2-DVD edition when released on March 28th. I thought for sure we'd get
>>>a 4-DVD extended edition like his similarly long Lord of the Rings

>>why the **** would anybody want to watch eight hours worth of material
>>about that movie?

> Well, at least in the past, PJ has added scene's to his extended movies that
> make the 2 of the 4 disc's. For example all 3 of his LotR 4 disc sets - Each
> movie is spread over 2 disc's and then the other 2 are extras and such.

In this case, though, we already got it before the theatrical movie:
http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=MCA029472

Derek Janssen (...Nnnn-next question?)

AZ Nomad

On Fri, 3 Feb 2006 08:52:12 -0700, Bratboy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"AZ Nomad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 07:02:23 GMT, Mark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>I was surprised to read that Peter Jackson's King Kong will only be a
>>>2-DVD edition when released on March 28th. I thought for sure we'd get
>>>a 4-DVD extended edition like his similarly long Lord of the Rings

>> why the **** would anybody want to watch eight hours worth of material
>> about that movie?

>Well, at least in the past, PJ has added scene's to his extended movies that
>make the 2 of the 4 disc's.

four hours worth of extra scenes? I thought 45 minutes was usually about the
limit.

>For example all 3 of his LotR 4 disc sets - Each
>movie is spread over 2 disc's and then the other 2 are extras and such.

Are they even dual layer disks?

Bratboy

"AZ Nomad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 3 Feb 2006 08:52:12 -0700, Bratboy
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>"AZ Nomad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> why the **** would anybody want to watch eight hours worth of material
>>> about that movie?

>>Well, at least in the past, PJ has added scene's to his extended movies
>>that
>>make the 2 of the 4 disc's.

> four hours worth of extra scenes? I thought 45 minutes was usually about
> the
> limit.
>

>>For example all 3 of his LotR 4 disc sets - Each
>>movie is spread over 2 disc's and then the other 2 are extras and such.

> Are they even dual layer disks?

I had to dig out my set to check for sure but with the LotR's extendeds the
answer is yes. Disc 1 of FotR is just shy of 7 gig.

selaboc

AZ Nomad wrote:
> >Well, at least in the past, PJ has added scene's to his extended movies that
> >make the 2 of the 4 disc's.

> four hours worth of extra scenes? I thought 45 minutes was usually about the
> limit.

No. that's about 4 hours counting the original running time (even in
theathres the running time was nearly 3 hours) plus the added scenes
(nearly a hours worth) which is a bit much to jam onto a single disc,
so it's split between two discs with the other two holding all the
other extras.

AZ Nomad

On 3 Feb 2006 12:25:35 -0800, selaboc <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>AZ Nomad wrote:
>> >Well, at least in the past, PJ has added scene's to his extended movies that
>> >make the 2 of the 4 disc's.

>> four hours worth of extra scenes? I thought 45 minutes was usually about the
>> limit.

>No. that's about 4 hours counting the original running time (even in
>theathres the running time was nearly 3 hours) plus the added scenes
>(nearly a hours worth) which is a bit much to jam onto a single disc,
>so it's split between two discs with the other two holding all the
>other extras.

4 hours is not too much for 2 disks, or even 3. Why 4?
Is there 5 hours worth of extra stuff?

Jay G.

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 22:18:48 GMT, AZ Nomad wrote:

> On 3 Feb 2006 12:25:35 -0800, selaboc <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>No. that's about 4 hours counting the original running time (even in
>>theathres the running time was nearly 3 hours) plus the added scenes
>>(nearly a hours worth) which is a bit much to jam onto a single disc,
>>so it's split between two discs with the other two holding all the
>>other extras.

> 4 hours is not too much for 2 disks, or even 3. Why 4?
> Is there 5 hours worth of extra stuff?

In the case of ROTK, 4 hours is just the film itself, at a high video
bitrate, with DTS 6.1 and DD 5.1EX surround tracks, a doubly surround
track, and 4 audio commentaries. So the first 2 discs are packed.

The next 2 discs are all extras, including documentaries that altoether
total around 6 hours of material, not counting other extras and easter egss
on the discs.

-Jay

Jay G.

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 11:33:32 -0500, Derek Janssen wrote:

> Bratboy wrote:
>> "AZ Nomad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>why the **** would anybody want to watch eight hours worth of material
>>>about that movie?

>> Well, at least in the past, PJ has added scene's to his extended movies that
>> make the 2 of the 4 disc's. For example all 3 of his LotR 4 disc sets - Each
>> movie is spread over 2 disc's and then the other 2 are extras and such.

> In this case, though, we already got it before the theatrical movie:
> http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=MCA029472

None of those documentaries will be on the Kong DVD. As anyone who's seen
those diaries can attest to, there's actually very little content about the
movie itself in those documentaries. They're great though, and essential
viewing for fans of filmmaking in general, even if you didn't like Kong.

-Jay