Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Can you record 15 minutes of hdtv on a dvd and play it on a dvd player?

Can you record 15 minutes of hdtv on a dvd and play it on a dvd player?

JimmyK

Can anyone tell me if you can fill up a 4.7GB dvd disc with however
much it will take to fill it up (say 15 minutes of hdtv programming or
whatever) and play it on a dvd player? This is to see how it looks on
a friend's hdtv screen who still hasn't seen hdtv on his tv.

AZ Nomad

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 20:06:48 GMT, JimmyK <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Can anyone tell me if you can fill up a 4.7GB dvd disc with however
>much it will take to fill it up (say 15 minutes of hdtv programming or
>whatever) and play it on a dvd player? This is to see how it looks on
>a friend's hdtv screen who still hasn't seen hdtv on his tv.

no. Why would you expect a DVD player designer to know about formats
dreamed up at a future date?

If you want to see what HDTV will look like, just hook your PC up to the
set's VGA or DVI input(s).

Arthur Lipscomb

"AZ Nomad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 20:06:48 GMT, JimmyK <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Can anyone tell me if you can fill up a 4.7GB dvd disc with however
>>much it will take to fill it up (say 15 minutes of hdtv programming or
>>whatever) and play it on a dvd player? This is to see how it looks on
>>a friend's hdtv screen who still hasn't seen hdtv on his tv.

> no. Why would you expect a DVD player designer to know about formats
> dreamed up at a future date?
>
> If you want to see what HDTV will look like, just hook your PC up to the
> set's VGA or DVI input(s).

You can download HD files here:
http://www.divx.com/movies/browse.php?categoryID=3

DIVX files can also be downloaded and burned onto blank DVDs for playback on
a DVD player, but it won't be true HD.

Mr. Moe

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 03:51:27 GMT, "Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>No...regular DVDs can only handle standard definition resolutions....the
>best you can do is use a decent PC connected to his tv to playback a hidef
>show or clip...or use something like a Avel Link player or Buffalo theater
>setup....
>

>"JimmyK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Can anyone tell me if you can fill up a 4.7GB dvd disc with however
>> much it will take to fill it up (say 15 minutes of hdtv programming or
>> whatever) and play it on a dvd player? This is to see how it looks on
>> a friend's hdtv screen who still hasn't seen hdtv on his tv.

Will we be able to play our collections of today's DVDs on the new HD
players?

Netmask

No - Current DVD players won't recognise the HDTV video - just maybe if you
put a hd mpeg file on a DVD disc as data, some DVD players will play mpeg,
but Ii doubt if even this ploy would work and the aspect ratio would be
wrong etc etc etc

If he can output video from his computer to his hdtv there are many hdtv
downloads out there

"JimmyK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anyone tell me if you can fill up a 4.7GB dvd disc with however
> much it will take to fill it up (say 15 minutes of hdtv programming or
> whatever) and play it on a dvd player? This is to see how it looks on
> a friend's hdtv screen who still hasn't seen hdtv on his tv.

Biz

No...regular DVDs can only handle standard definition resolutions....the
best you can do is use a decent PC connected to his tv to playback a hidef
show or clip...or use something like a Avel Link player or Buffalo theater
setup....

"JimmyK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anyone tell me if you can fill up a 4.7GB dvd disc with however
> much it will take to fill it up (say 15 minutes of hdtv programming or
> whatever) and play it on a dvd player? This is to see how it looks on
> a friend's hdtv screen who still hasn't seen hdtv on his tv.

Netmask

"Mr. Moe" <Mr_Moe@Disposable_Records.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 03:51:27 GMT, "Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>No...regular DVDs can only handle standard definition resolutions....the
>>best you can do is use a decent PC connected to his tv to playback a hidef
>>show or clip...or use something like a Avel Link player or Buffalo theater
>>setup....
>>

>>"JimmyK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> Can anyone tell me if you can fill up a 4.7GB dvd disc with however
>>> much it will take to fill it up (say 15 minutes of hdtv programming or
>>> whatever) and play it on a dvd player? This is to see how it looks on
>>> a friend's hdtv screen who still hasn't seen hdtv on his tv.

> Will we be able to play our collections of today's DVDs on the new HD
> players?

Who knows? From a marketing point of view backward compatibility is a good
selling point "throw out the old and buy with the new"! Most likely I think.

Arthur Lipscomb

"Mr. Moe" <Mr_Moe@Disposable_Records.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 03:51:27 GMT, "Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>No...regular DVDs can only handle standard definition resolutions....the
>>best you can do is use a decent PC connected to his tv to playback a hidef
>>show or clip...or use something like a Avel Link player or Buffalo theater
>>setup....
>>

>>"JimmyK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> Can anyone tell me if you can fill up a 4.7GB dvd disc with however
>>> much it will take to fill it up (say 15 minutes of hdtv programming or
>>> whatever) and play it on a dvd player? This is to see how it looks on
>>> a friend's hdtv screen who still hasn't seen hdtv on his tv.

> Will we be able to play our collections of today's DVDs on the new HD
> players?

The two HD DVD players Toshiba is making both play standard DVDs. They also
are capable of upconverting standard DVDs (which many players already on the
market can do as well).

Mr. Moe

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 23:22:45 -0800, "Arthur Lipscomb"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Mr. Moe" <Mr_Moe@Disposable_Records.com> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 03:51:27 GMT, "Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>No...regular DVDs can only handle standard definition resolutions....the
>>>best you can do is use a decent PC connected to his tv to playback a hidef
>>>show or clip...or use something like a Avel Link player or Buffalo theater
>>>setup....
>>>

>>>"JimmyK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>>

>> Will we be able to play our collections of today's DVDs on the new HD
>> players?

>The two HD DVD players Toshiba is making both play standard DVDs. They also
>are capable of upconverting standard DVDs (which many players already on the
>market can do as well).

Thanks for the info everybody! (I have ALOT of DVDs!!)
Mr. Moe

Goro

Arthur Lipscomb wrote:
> "Mr. Moe" <Mr_Moe@Disposable_Records.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 03:51:27 GMT, "Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >>No...regular DVDs can only handle standard definition resolutions....the
> >>best you can do is use a decent PC connected to his tv to playback a hidef
> >>show or clip...or use something like a Avel Link player or Buffalo theater
> >>setup....
> >>

> >>"JimmyK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> >>

> > Will we be able to play our collections of today's DVDs on the new HD
> > players?

> The two HD DVD players Toshiba is making both play standard DVDs. They also
> are capable of upconverting standard DVDs (which many players already on the
> market can do as well).

I'll be interested in seeing if/when there's a HD-DVD/BR player that
will read 720p/1080i Xvids/x264 files and play them. My OPPO will play
xvids, but the codec apparently can't handle 720p xvids as the video
doens't play but the sound does.

btw, does anyone know if DVD player play transport stream files?

-goro-