Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVD recdorders.

DVD recdorders.

HipOp

Any good DVD recorders out there? I seem to find that most seem to have bugs
in them, either they will not finalize the dvd, hangs up,and some do dvd-,
or they do dvd+s. Like to know any ideas.

M.B.

HipOp wrote:
> Any good DVD recorders out there? I seem to find that most seem to have bugs
> in them, either they will not finalize the dvd, hangs up,and some do dvd-,
> or they do dvd+s. Like to know any ideas.

Are you talking computer DVD recorders or TV DVD recorders?

If the latter, I can highly recommend the Lite On LVW-545 HDD+DVD
Recorder. Costco sells it from their web site. It might be a little
more than you want to pay, but for under $350 you not only get a DVD
recorder, but you also get a 160 GB HDD. It writes to everything. CDR,
CDRW, DVD+-R and DVD+-RW. It records stuff from the hard drive to a DVD
very effortlessly. And you can also hook up a video camcorder to it as
well.

HipOp

Thanks for the feedback, but here is one of the reviews, as they are talking
about audio sync, poor video, how to take it?

http://www.pricegrabber.com/rating_g..._type=masterid

They seem to give it a poor rating.

Bill Vermillion

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
M.B. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>HipOp wrote:
>> Any good DVD recorders out there? I seem to find that most seem to have bugs
>> in them, either they will not finalize the dvd, hangs up,and some do dvd-,
>> or they do dvd+s. Like to know any ideas.

>Are you talking computer DVD recorders or TV DVD recorders?

>If the latter, I can highly recommend the Lite On LVW-545 HDD+DVD
>Recorder. Costco sells it from their web site. It might be a little
>more than you want to pay, but for under $350 you not only get a DVD
>recorder, but you also get a 160 GB HDD. It writes to everything. CDR,
>CDRW, DVD+-R and DVD+-RW. It records stuff from the hard drive to a DVD
>very effortlessly. And you can also hook up a video camcorder to it as
>well.

M.B. I wonder if you send me an email as I have a couple of
questions to ask about that machine specifically. Me email address
is legit on the bottom of the page - or in the headers.

I have one of the no-frills cheapies from Lite-On - that I got to
fill in while another went back home to be repaired.

Thanks.

Bill
--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

"Bill Vermillion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> M.B. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>HipOp wrote:
>>> Any good DVD recorders out there? I seem to find that most seem to have
>>> bugs
>>> in them, either they will not finalize the dvd, hangs up,and some do
>>> dvd-,
>>> or they do dvd+s. Like to know any ideas.

>>Are you talking computer DVD recorders or TV DVD recorders?

>>If the latter, I can highly recommend the Lite On LVW-545 HDD+DVD
>>Recorder. Costco sells it from their web site. It might be a little
>>more than you want to pay, but for under $350 you not only get a DVD
>>recorder, but you also get a 160 GB HDD. It writes to everything. CDR,
>>CDRW, DVD+-R and DVD+-RW. It records stuff from the hard drive to a DVD
>>very effortlessly. And you can also hook up a video camcorder to it as
>>well.

From your description it sounds like the same unit I bought a few months
ago, but with part No. 5045. I returned it because I couldn't play a DVD
while it was recording on the hard drive.

Norm

Bill Vermillion

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Bill Vermillion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> M.B. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>Are you talking computer DVD recorders or TV DVD recorders?

>>>If the latter, I can highly recommend the Lite On LVW-545 HDD+DVD
>>>Recorder. Costco sells it from their web site. It might be a little
>>>more than you want to pay, but for under $350 you not only get a DVD
>>>recorder, but you also get a 160 GB HDD. It writes to everything. CDR,
>>>CDRW, DVD+-R and DVD+-RW. It records stuff from the hard drive to a DVD
>>>very effortlessly. And you can also hook up a video camcorder to it as
>>>well.

>From your description it sounds like the same unit I bought a few months
>ago, but with part No. 5045. I returned it because I couldn't play a DVD
>while it was recording on the hard drive.

That's a major point. Can it record two streams at once.

Are there any editing facilities in it? I mean just minor.

My Philips let's me split things on +RW and create an individual
thumbnail. THe el-cheapo LiteOn - will let me edit the title and
that's about it but everything on that goes to a PC for editing,
while on one with at least some minor menu editing I sometimes
just let them go that way.

Bill

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

tabernacle2002@hotmail.com

HipOp wrote:
> Any good DVD recorders out there? I seem to find that most seem to have bugs
> in them, either they will not finalize the dvd, hangs up,and some do dvd-,
> or they do dvd+s. Like to know any ideas.

Don't know if you can get the same model number but I have had a
Pioneer 220 for almost 2 years now which I have used to record at least
1 dvd per day,and up to as many as 5 dvds per day(for example the
Sopranos is being shown from episode 1 on Comcast On Demand, and on the
weekends I record like crazy) since the day I took it out of the box
with no machine related problems,and it uses most brand name and store
brand blank DVD-R discs no problem (once got a bad store brand 50
spindle from Staples and that has been it so far)!
And frankly for what I paid for it (under $200.00 at Walmart) I
consider it to be better and easier to use than the other brand name
recorders my friends got, most of which cost them much more money!
Anway why not go to Walmart and try the Pioneer brand (whatever model
they now may have) and if you do not like it return it?