Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVD Ripper

DVD Ripper

Matt

Does anyone know of a freeware DVD ripper that will convert my DVD
collection to mpeg-4 or DivX?

Matt

bah@no.net

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 00:04:13 -0600, "Matt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Does anyone know of a freeware DVD ripper that will convert my DVD
>collection to mpeg-4 or DivX?
>
>Matt

Stop pirating dickhead

AZ Nomad

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 17:39:21 +1100, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) <> wrote:

>On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 00:04:13 -0600, "Matt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>Does anyone know of a freeware DVD ripper that will convert my DVD
>>collection to mpeg-4 or DivX?
>>
>>Matt
>>

>Stop pirating dickhead

I don't think he's pirating dickheads. Looks more like dvds is what
he's pirating.

Goro

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 00:04:13 -0600, "Matt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Does anyone know of a freeware DVD ripper that will convert my DVD
> >collection to mpeg-4 or DivX?
> >
> >Matt
> >

> Stop pirating dickhead

It's not nec. pirating, you know. There are reasonable reasons to
convert DVDs to xvids. having a nice 1.4G version on the laptop is
much nicer than having to carry aroudn the dvd. And especially if you
like tv eps like Aqua Teen or Futurama, it's quite convenient to
convert them into nice small files to carry around for entertainment.

-goro-

Bob

On 30 Jan 2006 06:57:36 -0800, "Goro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Stop pirating dickhead

>It's not nec. pirating, you know. There are reasonable reasons to
>convert DVDs to xvids. having a nice 1.4G version on the laptop is
>much nicer than having to carry aroudn the dvd. And especially if you
>like tv eps like Aqua Teen or Futurama, it's quite convenient to
>convert them into nice small files to carry around for entertainment.

You do not have to justify your actions to these dickhead trolls.

You have the right of fair use of the material you paid for.

--

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession.
I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first."

mag@bot.net

On 30 Jan 2006 06:57:36 -0800, "Goro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 00:04:13 -0600, "Matt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >Does anyone know of a freeware DVD ripper that will convert my DVD
>> >collection to mpeg-4 or DivX?
>> >
>> >Matt
>> >

>> Stop pirating dickhead

>It's not nec. pirating, you know. There are reasonable reasons to
>convert DVDs to xvids.

Umm, not really. Going from DVD to DivX/Xvid achieves a downgrade in
picture and sound quality. The only advantage in doing this is to
reduce the size of a DVD movie/film & making it easier to pirate and
distribute over P2P networks.

bot@net.com

The only troll is you, ****wit.

>You have the right of fair use of the material you paid for.

You have the right to get ****ed.

Goro

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
*snip*
> >It's not nec. pirating, you know. There are reasonable reasons to
> >convert DVDs to xvids.

> Umm, not really. Going from DVD to DivX/Xvid achieves a downgrade in
> picture and sound quality. The only advantage in doing this is to
> reduce the size of a DVD movie/film & making it easier to pirate and
> distribute over P2P networks.

Picture and sound are noticeably downgraded on conversion. yes, this
is blatantly true so it's not really desirable to watch an xvid. With
bandwidth as it is these days, people are sharing full DVD9s now
instead of DVD5s in preference to xvids.

the only advantage is to reduce the size of the DVD image. But NOT
NECESSARILY for filesharing. As i stated above (and which you
snipped), if you want to keep tv shows or movies on your laptop and
don't want the hassle of carrying around a bunch of dvds, then it's a
nice compromise to keep hi-bitrate xvids. And if you use hibitrate
x264, the size is really small and the quality is much better than
xvid.

And soemtimes i take small snippets, like some of the fight scenes from
ONG BAK and TOM YUM GOONG and make really small .wmvs out of them and
keep them on my iPaq so that i can show people. I think you can do
something similar for PSP if you've got the hack for the firmware.

-goro-

Bob

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 19:52:45 +1100, "(E-Mail Removed)" <> wrote:

>>It's not nec. pirating, you know. There are reasonable reasons to
>>convert DVDs to xvids.

>Umm, not really. Going from DVD to DivX/Xvid achieves a downgrade in
>picture and sound quality. The only advantage in doing this is to
>reduce the size of a DVD movie/film & making it easier to pirate and
>distribute over P2P networks.

It also reduces the number of DVD discs needed to store the video.
Eventually we will store videos on hard drives and play them on
networked players connected to the TV. If someone would make a DVDR so
that we could capture TV programs to MPEG4 - on hard disk or on DVD
disc - then we will have the ultimate solution.

--

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 19:54:45 +1100, "(E-Mail Removed)" <bot> wrote:

>>You do not have to justify your actions to these dickhead trolls.

>The only troll is you, ****wit.

>>You have the right of fair use of the material you paid for.

>You have the right to get ****ed.

<yawn>