Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DUNE Extended edition - is it the same cut that aired on Sci Fi?

DUNE Extended edition - is it the same cut that aired on Sci Fi?

Joseph S. Powell, III

I seem to remember the Sci-Fi channel's Extended cut of Dune being a lot
longer then 30 extra minutes....anyone know if the DVD is the same cut shown
on Sci Fi?

Jay G.

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 13:27:24 -0600, Joseph S. Powell, III wrote:

> I seem to remember the Sci-Fi channel's Extended cut of Dune being a lot
> longer then 30 extra minutes....anyone know if the DVD is the same cut shown
> on Sci Fi?

Yes, it's the infamous "TV cut" of the film, shown for the first time in
2.35:1.

-Jay

Joseph S. Powell, III

"Jay G." <"Jay "@tmbg.org> wrote in message
news:z6pofgvtpauq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 13:27:24 -0600, Joseph S. Powell, III wrote:
>
> > I seem to remember the Sci-Fi channel's Extended cut of Dune being a lot
> > longer then 30 extra minutes....anyone know if the DVD is the same cut

shown
> > on Sci Fi?

> Yes, it's the infamous "TV cut" of the film, shown for the first time in
> 2.35:1.
>
> -Jay

Thanks.
BTW, your phrasing of the cut as "infamous" seems to have a connotation that
you don't like it - was it the music of Capt Picard that turned you off,
lol?

Joshua Zyber

"Joseph S. Powell, III" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:st%Cf.487$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > I seem to remember the Sci-Fi channel's Extended cut of Dune being
>> > a lot
>> > longer then 30 extra minutes....anyone know if the DVD is the same
>> > cut

> shown
>> > on Sci Fi?

>> Yes, it's the infamous "TV cut" of the film, shown for the first time
>> in
>> 2.35:1.
>>

> Thanks.
> BTW, your phrasing of the cut as "infamous" seems to have a
> connotation that
> you don't like it - was it the music of Capt Picard that turned you
> off,
> lol?

There is nothing good about the extended TV cut. Nothing.

GMAN

In article <mP5Df.7472$(E-Mail Removed) et>, "Joshua Zyber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"Joseph S. Powell, III" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:st%Cf.487$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> shown
>>>
>>> Yes, it's the infamous "TV cut" of the film, shown for the first time
>>> in
>>> 2.35:1.
>>>

>> Thanks.
>> BTW, your phrasing of the cut as "infamous" seems to have a
>> connotation that
>> you don't like it - was it the music of Capt Picard that turned you
>> off,
>> lol?

>There is nothing good about the extended TV cut. Nothing.

To each his own.

Sean O'Hara

In the Year of the Cock, the Great and Powerful Joseph S. Powell,
III declared:

> Thanks. BTW, your phrasing of the cut as "infamous" seems to have
> a connotation that you don't like it - was it the music of Capt
> Picard that turned you off, lol?

Maybe the fact that Alan Smithee is credited as director instead of
David Lynch.

--
Sean O'Hara | http://diogenes-sinope.blogspot.com
Cartman: I learned somethin' today. This country was founded by some

Nick

I think I'll really enjoy the 2.35:1 version of the tv cut - and Im a David
Lynch fanatic!

"Joshua Zyber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:mP5Df.7472$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> "Joseph S. Powell, III" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:st%Cf.487$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> shown
>>>
>>> Yes, it's the infamous "TV cut" of the film, shown for the first time in
>>> 2.35:1.
>>>

>> Thanks.
>> BTW, your phrasing of the cut as "infamous" seems to have a connotation
>> that
>> you don't like it - was it the music of Capt Picard that turned you off,
>> lol?

> There is nothing good about the extended TV cut. Nothing.

Joshua Zyber

news:drjkhc$knt$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I think I'll really enjoy the 2.35:1 version of the tv cut - and Im a
>David Lynch fanatic!

Which is all the more reason you should not watch the TV cut. Lynch had
nothing to do with it, and was so disgusted by it he had his name
removed. The new screenwriting credit "Judas Booth" speaks volumes.

Incremental Jones

You guys talking about the TV movie or the David Lynch version in this
thread?

The Man With No Name

"Incremental Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:M1iDf.152$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> You guys talking about the TV movie or the David Lynch version in this
> thread?

The David Lynch version.

There was a three-hour extended cut of the film made for television
(re-inserting many scenes that Lynch cut from the theatrical version.) Lynch
has disowned the extended cut, but I assume it's interesting as a curiosity.
The extended cut, having never been released theatrically, has long been
available on DVD (and, in Australia, quite cheaply,) in 'Pan & Scan' format.
But, the new Region 1 Special Edition of Dune seems to contain the extended
cut in 2.35:1 anamorphic (NOTE: it seems to be the only the Region 1 release
that has the extended cut in 2.35:1, other special editions still have it in
Pan & Scan)