Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > New Dr Who the complete first season Canadian R1 DVD info

New Dr Who the complete first season Canadian R1 DVD info

Bratboy

In case anyone else was looking into buying the Feb 14 Canadian R-1 release
of Dr Who the complete 1st season from Amazon.ca I found info here
http://home.comcast.net/~smanfred/Latest.html on the exact details since the
Amazon site says nada on Audio/aspect ratio and such other than its NTSC
hehe.

In a nutshell, it will be in its native WS 14:9 format, will have 5.1 audio
(the first individual epiode discs didnt) and is packaged in a more typical
US style fold out as opposed the the Tardis shaped one used on the UK
release that caused some problems with falling apart after a cpl openings.
Anyway if want to read more details visit the link above, its not my site so
don't feel fair cut-n-pasting the entire thing.

Cheers

John Howells

"Bratboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> In a nutshell, it will be in its native WS 14:9 format, ...

The native format is 16:9

John Howells

Bratboy

"John Howells" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Bratboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>
>> In a nutshell, it will be in its native WS 14:9 format, ...

> The native format is 16:9
>
> John Howells

I thought the aspect sounded odd myself but since couldnt find any aspect
info anywhere else I just repeated the info as it was written.

Bratboy

"Bratboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:43db9785$0$6320$(E-Mail Removed) om...

> "John Howells" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Bratboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>>
>>> In a nutshell, it will be in its native WS 14:9 format, ...

>> The native format is 16:9
>>
>> John Howells
>>

> I thought the aspect sounded odd myself but since couldnt find any aspect
> info anywhere else I just repeated the info as it was written.

Well wrote the author and asked about it being a typo and he said
"The scores on the board are correct. "Doctor Who" (and all BBC product
come to that) is shot at 14:9."

John Howells

"Bratboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> > I thought the aspect sounded odd myself but since couldnt find any

aspect
> > info anywhere else I just repeated the info as it was written.
> >

> Well wrote the author and asked about it being a typo and he said
> "The scores on the board are correct. "Doctor Who" (and all BBC product
> come to that) is shot at 14:9."

Should we now assume everything else he writes is also utter garbage?

*ALL* BBC widescreen material is, without exception, shot for 16:9, the
ratio of WS broadcast TV. When broadcast on 4:3 terrestrial it is converted
to 14:9 by chopping a bit off the sides and putting small black bars top and
bottom. If the resulting 14:9 with black bars in a 4:3 frame is what they
are getting on the DVDs in Canada and the US they have my sympathies.

It would not be the first time that 16:9 material had been butchered for the
US markets, such as the later Poirot episodes (from Murder in Mesopotamia
onwards), and the recent Miss Marple series (with Geraldine McEwan). They
were made for 16:9 and chopped to 4:3 for the US market (and, yes, they were
chopped, not open matte). If the butchering of Doctor Who is only to 14:9 I
suppose that is a bit better, but still unacceptable when you know what it
can look like as originally intended on a WS TV.

John Howells

Bratboy

"John Howells" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Bratboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>
>> > I thought the aspect sounded odd myself but since couldnt find any

> aspect
>> > info anywhere else I just repeated the info as it was written.
>> >

>> Well wrote the author and asked about it being a typo and he said
>> "The scores on the board are correct. "Doctor Who" (and all BBC product
>> come to that) is shot at 14:9."

> Should we now assume everything else he writes is also utter garbage?
>
> *ALL* BBC widescreen material is, without exception, shot for 16:9, the
> ratio of WS broadcast TV. When broadcast on 4:3 terrestrial it is
> converted
> to 14:9 by chopping a bit off the sides and putting small black bars top
> and
> bottom. If the resulting 14:9 with black bars in a 4:3 frame is what they
> are getting on the DVDs in Canada and the US they have my sympathies.
>
> It would not be the first time that 16:9 material had been butchered for
> the
> US markets, such as the later Poirot episodes (from Murder in Mesopotamia
> onwards), and the recent Miss Marple series (with Geraldine McEwan). They
> were made for 16:9 and chopped to 4:3 for the US market (and, yes, they
> were
> chopped, not open matte). If the butchering of Doctor Who is only to 14:9
> suppose that is a bit better, but still unacceptable when you know what it
> can look like as originally intended on a WS TV.
>
> John Howells

Gonna hope he's wrong on it. Will know in about 2 weeks.

manitou910@rogers.com

It was photographed on Digital Betacam at 1.78:1, probably at 50hz.

CPJ

Bratboy

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> It was photographed on Digital Betacam at 1.78:1, probably at 50hz.
>

> CPJ

Well I'm just gonna hope for the best for now and pray WB doesnt screw
things up. I noticed IMDB did say 1.78:1 and I don't recall any complaints
on the UK release, other than ppl saying the box fell apart. Since they said
at BBC when the set was announced for Canada that the Canada set is the same
other than the pkging I'm still hopeful. Just so long as they dont pull the
kind of crap that was done with House MD season 1 I'll be happy.I can find
plenty of pic's of the front of the new set and even one with the case open
but not a single shot of the back which would tell all, hehe