Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > IDOJ Season#1 in B&W and Colorized

IDOJ Season#1 in B&W and Colorized

tabernacle2002@hotmail.com

I went and checked on Amazon to reconfirm that the release date was
still March 14th for season one of I Dream of Jeannie,at which point I
noticed that they are offering it in both the original B&W and in the
colorized version.
Which got me to wondering does anyone know if this is this the same
crap they pulled with Bewitched??

SoHillsGuy

If you mean offering both the original B&W versions and the
colorized-for-TV versions to consumers, yes, it is.

I'm not sure why you'd bother calling it crap, though. If you don't
like the colorized versions, no one is forcing you to buy them.

Derek Janssen

SoHillsGuy wrote:

> If you mean offering both the original B&W versions and the
> colorized-for-TV versions to consumers, yes, it is.
>
> I'm not sure why you'd bother calling it crap, though. If you don't
> like the colorized versions, no one is forcing you to buy them.

(...Shh, he thinks the advertising people are controlling him!)

Derek Janssen

SoHillsGuy wrote:
> If you mean offering both the original B&W versions and the
> colorized-for-TV versions to consumers, yes, it is.
>
> I'm not sure why you'd bother calling it crap, though. If you don't
> like the colorized versions, no one is forcing you to buy them.

Yes I know that, and I do indeed intend to buy it in B&W!

BTW CRAP as in they could have had it out on DVD a year or even two
years earlier if they just kept it in its original B&W format and saved
the crayola BS for a later release!

SoHillsGuy wrote:
> If you mean offering both the original B&W versions and the
> colorized-for-TV versions to consumers, yes, it is.
>
> I'm not sure why you'd bother calling it crap, though. If you don't
> like the colorized versions, no one is forcing you to buy them.

Yes I know that, and I do indeed intend to buy it in B&W!

BTW CRAP as in they could have had it out on DVD a year or even two
years earlier if they just kept it in its original B&W format and saved
the crayola BS for a later release!

SoHillsGuy

Actually, I'm fairly sure the releases to both sets were held up not
for any reason relating to the colorized versions, but to the
coinciding theatrical releases, or at least planned theatrical
releases. The colorized episodes were done years ago, so there's no
evidence to suggest the sets were held up for them.

jayembee

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> BTW CRAP as in they could have had it out on DVD a year
> or even two years earlier if they just kept it in its original B&W
> format and saved the crayola BS for a later release!

Colorizing the episodes has nothing to do with their delaying
the release. Colorized versions of the episodes already exist
for syndication.

The reason for the delay was the same as that for BEWITCHED:
they wanted to tie it into a proposed theatrical film remake.

-- jayembee

Jay G.

On 25 Jan 2006 09:20:53 -0800, SoHillsGuy wrote:

> If you mean offering both the original B&W versions and the
> colorized-for-TV versions to consumers, yes, it is.
>
> I'm not sure why you'd bother calling it crap, though. If you don't
> like the colorized versions, no one is forcing you to buy them.

Actually, for Bewitched, Sony offered subtitles in Spanish, Chinese,
Portuguese, and Thai on the Color release, while only offering English
captions on the B&W release. On top of that, while the US got both
versions, they only released the color version in some other countries. So
while in the US we get the option, people who speak other languages or live
in other countries are "forced" to take the Color release.

-Jay

JAM

"Jay G." <"Jay "@tmbg.org> wrote in message
news:111gkis30ib4m.1rxpzqkzdy8hl$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> On 25 Jan 2006 09:20:53 -0800, SoHillsGuy wrote:
>
>> If you mean offering both the original B&W versions and the
>> colorized-for-TV versions to consumers, yes, it is.
>>
>> I'm not sure why you'd bother calling it crap, though. If you don't
>> like the colorized versions, no one is forcing you to buy them.

> Actually, for Bewitched, Sony offered subtitles in Spanish, Chinese,
> Portuguese, and Thai on the Color release, while only offering English
> captions on the B&W release. On top of that, while the US got both
> versions, they only released the color version in some other countries.
> So
> while in the US we get the option, people who speak other languages or
> live
> in other countries are "forced" to take the Color release.
>
> -Jay

I think I read somewhere that in those foreign markets the audience wanted
it colorized. That is what led to the colorization in the first place.
Since those markets got it in color, they want the DVD in color also. Does
anyone else remember hearing or reading this?

Derek Janssen

JAM wrote:
> "Jay G." <"Jay "@tmbg.org> wrote in message
> news:111gkis30ib4m.1rxpzqkzdy8hl$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>
>>Actually, for Bewitched, Sony offered subtitles in Spanish, Chinese,
>>Portuguese, and Thai on the Color release, while only offering English
>>captions on the B&W release. On top of that, while the US got both
>>versions, they only released the color version in some other countries.
>>So
>>while in the US we get the option, people who speak other languages or
>>live
>>in other countries are "forced" to take the Color release.

> I think I read somewhere that in those foreign markets the audience wanted
> it colorized. That is what led to the colorization in the first place.
> Since those markets got it in color, they want the DVD in color also. Does
> anyone else remember hearing or reading this?

Not really--
Since Nick at Nite never broadcast the b/w IDoJ or "Bewitched"
colorized, I was guessing this was Sony availing themselves of the same
studio they used for the Three Stooges colorizations...

Derek Janssen (I mean, possible, but logic usually goes with the
"corporate toybox" theory every time)
(E-Mail Removed)