Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > distortion problem in playback of DVDs

distortion problem in playback of DVDs

d@.

I often have problems with discs freezing up and/or
showing a lot of distortion, like lines of squares across
the screen. The same disc will play okay on some
machines, but screw up on others. Cleaning the
heads with a brush stlye disc cleaner seems to help
for a little while sometimes. Sometimes running water
over the disc then wiping it dry will help. Is it a static
electricity problem? Or is there dirt on the laser that
the brush won't get off? Or a combination of such
things? Is it possible to open a DVD player and clean
the laser, like we can do on a VCR? Or is the best
thing to replace a DVD player when it won't play discs
consistently any more?

Thanks for any help!
David

unclejr

d@. wrote:
> Cleaning the
> heads with a brush stlye disc cleaner seems to help
> for a little while sometimes.

OUCH! NEVER do this.

> Or is the best
> thing to replace a DVD player when it won't play discs
> consistently any more?

After you scratched the hell out of the lens, this would be your only
option.

-Junior

Mike Walsh

The best way to clean a CD or DVD drive is to open it up an clean the lens with glass cleaner and a cotton swab. I use Glass Plus because I have read that some drives use plastic lenses and you should not use ammonia on plastic. I have resurrected many old CD drives this way. I have not had as much success with DVD drives because they usually are not very dirty and the problem is elsewhere.

--
Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

TC

> > I often have problems with discs freezing up and/or
> > showing a lot of distortion, like lines of squares across
> > the screen. The same disc will play okay on some
> > machines, but screw up on others.

I have found that the quality of the DVD blanks is most important after
smudging or scratching has been eliminated. All blank DVD's are NOT
created equally. Check this site for info about disks and reading
problems:
www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

Gogarty

In article <(E-Mail Removed)-media.com>,

>> > I often have problems with discs freezing up and/or
>> > showing a lot of distortion, like lines of squares across
>> > the screen. The same disc will play okay on some
>> > machines, but screw up on others.

>I have found that the quality of the DVD blanks is most important after
>smudging or scratching has been eliminated. All blank DVD's are NOT
>created equally. Check this site for info about disks and reading
>problems:
>http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

Many thanks. There is huge variabilty in DVD and even CD media. I bought
a pack of 25 Memorex DVD-R/W and only two would play in the set top
player while all would play in the computer DVD drive. On the other hand
I have had no problems at all with Sel Cheapo Staples DVD-R/W on set top
or comuter.

jazu

Burn at possible the lower speed. High speed is good when you play disk on
computer. When you play at home DVD player that's when problems begins.

<d@.> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I often have problems with discs freezing up and/or
> showing a lot of distortion, like lines of squares across
> the screen. The same disc will play okay on some
> machines, but screw up on others. Cleaning the
> heads with a brush stlye disc cleaner seems to help
> for a little while sometimes. Sometimes running water
> over the disc then wiping it dry will help. Is it a static
> electricity problem? Or is there dirt on the laser that
> the brush won't get off? Or a combination of such
> things? Is it possible to open a DVD player and clean
> the laser, like we can do on a VCR? Or is the best
> thing to replace a DVD player when it won't play discs
> consistently any more?
>
> Thanks for any help!
> David

Rick Merrill

Gogarty wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)-media.com>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...

>>I have found that the quality of the DVD blanks is most important after
>>smudging or scratching has been eliminated. All blank DVD's are NOT
>>created equally. Check this site for info about disks and reading
>>problems:
>>http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

> Many thanks. There is huge variabilty in DVD and even CD media. I bought
> a pack of 25 Memorex DVD-R/W and only two would play in the set top
> player while all would play in the computer DVD drive. On the other hand
> I have had no problems at all with Sel Cheapo Staples DVD-R/W on set top
> or comuter.

You realize that all the drives lasers have slightly different power
spectrums and they do not always match up with the power absorption
spectrum of the dye in the disks. Unfortunately the actual curves are
all trade secrets! So your only recourse is to record for yourself (and
the rest of us???) which make drives work how well with which make disks.

d@.

When I first got a DVD recorder I never had any problems
with discs looking bad, or playing back badly. Recently
I've been having a good bit of problem with playback, and
have noticed that even the latest discs have what appear
to be spider web size lines in them. Are they scratches?
They don't really look as much like scratches as they do
maybe cracks, to me. And the older DVDs that I recorded
still don't have anything like that, even after years of use.
Are these newer discs of much lesser quality? What should
I look for in order to avoid such garbage in the future? My
machine uses DVD-R.

Thanks for any help!

Laurence Payne

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 14:02:42 -0500, d@. wrote:

>My
>machine uses DVD-R.

First off, then, throw it away and spend a surprisingly low amount of
money on one of today's multi-format drives.

d@.

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 00:49:42 +0000, Laurence Payne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 14:02:42 -0500, d@. wrote:
>
>>My
>>machine uses DVD-R.

>First off, then, throw it away and spend a surprisingly low amount of
>money on one of today's multi-format drives.

What would be the use in that, *if* the problem is caused by the
discs? *If* the problem is with the discs, why not just get better
discs? Would the poor quality discs work okay in a new recorder?
Would they also work okay in other machines during playback?

Converting PAL DVDs to NTSC DVDs. Wild Coyote DVD Video 14 10-27-2004 08:58 PM
playback of 2 dvds Jim DVD Video 1 08-06-2004 05:50 AM
Shrinking 9gb DVDs to 4.7gb DVDs fkissam DVD Video 10 01-23-2004 03:32 AM

Advertisments