Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVD "Freezing"

DVD "Freezing"

E. Barry Bruyea

We watch very little live on TV and make great use of our LG DVR using
DVD+RW's, but far too often when watching we get those digital
'squares' and the picture 'freezing' either permanently, or for 10 or
15 seconds before moving on and sometimes skipping ahead. Is this
likely the media? Or the recorder? Have 6 DVD+RW's we use for
recording off air and at this time each of them have only been used
app. 25 times. We're using Maxell/

gerry

The only way to find out if the media is the cause of macroblocking is
to use another type of DVDR, either DVD+R or DVD-R. I have a Panasonic
DVD recorder, so I am not familiar with LG. If there is a recording
speed control, set it to a maximum of SP (2 Hour speed).
Maxell's are supposed to be good DVDR blanks, although I prefer Taiyo
Yuden myself (TY doeesn't make DVD+RWs, as far as I know).
My first suggestion would be to try out a DVD-R disc.

E. Barry Bruyea

On 20 Jan 2006 07:29:39 -0800, "gerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The only way to find out if the media is the cause of macroblocking is
>to use another type of DVDR, either DVD+R or DVD-R. I have a Panasonic
>DVD recorder, so I am not familiar with LG. If there is a recording
>speed control, set it to a maximum of SP (2 Hour speed).
>Maxell's are supposed to be good DVDR blanks, although I prefer Taiyo
>Yuden myself (TY doeesn't make DVD+RWs, as far as I know).
>My first suggestion would be to try out a DVD-R disc.

I've tried my existing media at all speeds, but yesterday I picked up
some new ones (Sony) and will try those. As to DVD-r, not likely,
recording one TV program and throwing out the disk after viewing seems
a little wasteful.