Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > How can I convert mp4 (iPod) video to DVD

Reply
Thread Tools

How can I convert mp4 (iPod) video to DVD

 
 
warehousestudios@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-19-2006
I downloaded some tv episodes in mp4 format (for iPod) and want to burn
it to DVD in a format that will play in most DVD players. How can I do
this? Anyone know of cheap software / free trial / freeware / shareware
that will do this? I'm having a hard time finding something that really
works.
Thanks

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Netmask
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-19-2006
There are plenty of mp4 converters - just google MP4 TO MPEG.

But the results will be truly terrible. DVD's have a native resolution of
720 x 576 in PAL in NTSC slightly less. On Apple's website, they say that
the iPod Video can support MPEG4 file formats up to 480x480 at 30 frames per
second may movies compressed for iPOD are even smaller.

So maybe your movies started out at 720 or 704, converted down to say 480
and now trying to convert them back up to 704 is going to introduce so many
digital artefacts that the results will not be good. There is also the
possibility of the sound going out of sync etc etc. best try to download
them again either as full DVD or at least DivX or Xvid as they do convert up
to a viewable image, not good but quite watchable.
Good luck..

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I downloaded some tv episodes in mp4 format (for iPod) and want to burn
> it to DVD in a format that will play in most DVD players. How can I do
> this? Anyone know of cheap software / free trial / freeware / shareware
> that will do this? I'm having a hard time finding something that really
> works.
> Thanks
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Rose
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-19-2006
I just downloaded free trial of Super iPod Video Converter
(http://www.bestbuyreviews.com/video-ipod-converter/) and I am doing a
test conversion of a mpeg file to mp4. It looks really slick and may
help those who are looking for that function as well.

With the ability to convert multiple video formats to mp4 I think this
one may end up to be a winner. Find the best video to iPod software
from http://www.bestbuyreviews.com

 
Reply With Quote
 
Goro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-19-2006
IAWTP. Check out a high bitrate 480p Xvid .avi. NERO will just burn
those fine.

Or get a nice little DivX player and just play them natively.

-goro-

Netmask wrote:
> There are plenty of mp4 converters - just google MP4 TO MPEG.
>
> But the results will be truly terrible. DVD's have a native resolution of
> 720 x 576 in PAL in NTSC slightly less. On Apple's website, they say that
> the iPod Video can support MPEG4 file formats up to 480x480 at 30 frames per
> second may movies compressed for iPOD are even smaller.
>
> So maybe your movies started out at 720 or 704, converted down to say 480
> and now trying to convert them back up to 704 is going to introduce so many
> digital artefacts that the results will not be good. There is also the
> possibility of the sound going out of sync etc etc. best try to download
> them again either as full DVD or at least DivX or Xvid as they do convert up
> to a viewable image, not good but quite watchable.
> Good luck..
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >I downloaded some tv episodes in mp4 format (for iPod) and want to burn
> > it to DVD in a format that will play in most DVD players. How can I do
> > this? Anyone know of cheap software / free trial / freeware / shareware
> > that will do this? I'm having a hard time finding something that really
> > works.
> > Thanks
> >


 
Reply With Quote
 
Bob
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-19-2006
On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 09:48:32 GMT, "Netmask"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

Don't top post - it is the sign of a newbie.

>There are plenty of mp4 converters - just google MP4 TO MPEG.
>But the results will be truly terrible.


Not if you are soing it correctly.

>DVD's have a native resolution of
>720 x 576 in PAL in NTSC slightly less.


Not true. DVD allows for several levels of resolution. Here some of
the standard levels found on must DVDRs:

Mode Hour BitRate Encode NTSC
HQ 1 9.5Mbps MPEG2 720X480
SP 2 5.1Mbps MPEG2 720X480
LP 3 3.3Mbps MPEG2 352X480
EP 4 2.5Mbps MPEG2 352X480
SLP 6 1.7Mpbs MPEG1 352X240

>>I downloaded some tv episodes in mp4 format (for iPod) and want to burn
>> it to DVD in a format that will play in most DVD players.


The DVD player/recorder makers are starting to put the codecs in for
AVI/MPEG4. My ILO DVDR05 (Walmart $99) will play most. That means you
do not have to convert anything - just burn a data disc and play it
directly in the DVD unit.

>How can I do
>> this? Anyone know of cheap software / free trial / freeware / shareware
>> that will do this? I'm having a hard time finding something that really
>> works.


Try WinAvi. You can adjust the resolution to one of those above with
the parameter "Constant Video Quality". There are 5 settings which
correspond to the values above. I do not know if they are identical,
but they appear to match up somewhat. You will have to play with it to
find out what meets your needs.

Try TotalVideoConverter too - it also has the capability to set the
resolution, and it displays what the source file resolution is.





--

"For most people the meaning and purpose of life is to
serve as a warning to others of impending disaster."

 
Reply With Quote
 
Netmask
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-20-2006

"Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 09:48:32 GMT, "Netmask"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> Don't top post - it is the sign of a newbie.
>
>>There are plenty of mp4 converters - just google MP4 TO MPEG.
>>But the results will be truly terrible.

>
> Not if you are soing it correctly.
>
>>DVD's have a native resolution of
>>720 x 576 in PAL in NTSC slightly less.

>
> Not true. DVD allows for several levels of resolution. Here some of
> the standard levels found on must DVDRs:
>
> Mode Hour BitRate Encode NTSC
> HQ 1 9.5Mbps MPEG2 720X480
> SP 2 5.1Mbps MPEG2 720X480
> LP 3 3.3Mbps MPEG2 352X480
> EP 4 2.5Mbps MPEG2 352X480
> SLP 6 1.7Mpbs MPEG1 352X240
>
>>>I downloaded some tv episodes in mp4 format (for iPod) and want to burn
>>> it to DVD in a format that will play in most DVD players.

>
> The DVD player/recorder makers are starting to put the codecs in for
> AVI/MPEG4. My ILO DVDR05 (Walmart $99) will play most. That means you
> do not have to convert anything - just burn a data disc and play it
> directly in the DVD unit.
>
>>How can I do
>>> this? Anyone know of cheap software / free trial / freeware / shareware
>>> that will do this? I'm having a hard time finding something that really
>>> works.

>
> Try WinAvi. You can adjust the resolution to one of those above with
> the parameter "Constant Video Quality". There are 5 settings which
> correspond to the values above. I do not know if they are identical,
> but they appear to match up somewhat. You will have to play with it to
> find out what meets your needs.
>
> Try TotalVideoConverter too - it also has the capability to set the
> resolution, and it displays what the source file resolution is.
>
>
>
>
>
> --
>
> "For most people the meaning and purpose of life is to
> serve as a warning to others of impending disaster."
>


As I read his request he wanted to convert iPOD MP4 video To DVD standard so
he could play back on a standard normal machine. ie he downloaded from the
Internet files suitable for the iPOD.

The question of buying a DivX player was not remotely the issue

My response was that the results were not going to very good. No problem the
other way going from DVD or DivX or whatever to iPOD MP4 file - Personally I
don't think I would want to look at a DVD to SLP6 standard upconverted from
a mp4 file - yuk!!


 
Reply With Quote
 
Allan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-20-2006
On 18 Jan 2006 22:43:33 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I downloaded some tv episodes in mp4 format (for iPod) and want to burn
>it to DVD in a format that will play in most DVD players. How can I do
>this? Anyone know of cheap software / free trial / freeware / shareware
>that will do this? I'm having a hard time finding something that really
>works.
>Thanks



videohelp.com






"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game
because they almost always turn out to be -- or to be indistinguishable from
-- self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
 
Reply With Quote
 
Justin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-20-2006
(E-Mail Removed) wrote on [18 Jan 2006 22:43:33 -0800]:
> I downloaded some tv episodes in mp4 format (for iPod) and want to burn
> it to DVD in a format that will play in most DVD players. How can I do
> this? Anyone know of cheap software / free trial / freeware / shareware
> that will do this? I'm having a hard time finding something that really


Dunno why you'd want to, it'd look pretty crappy on a bigger screen.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bob
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-20-2006
On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 00:04:31 GMT, "Netmask"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>As I read his request he wanted to convert iPOD MP4 video To DVD standard so
>he could play back on a standard normal machine. ie he downloaded from the
>Internet files suitable for the iPOD.


>The question of buying a DivX player was not remotely the issue


What I am saying is that your "standard normal machine" has the
capability to play DivX MPEGs - if you get the right one.

I have the ILO DVDR05MU1 with the latest f/w. I can play most AVIs.

>My response was that the results were not going to very good. No problem the
>other way going from DVD or DivX or whatever to iPOD MP4 file - Personally I
>don't think I would want to look at a DVD to SLP6 standard upconverted from
>a mp4 file - yuk!!


The AVI files I play are not bad in terms of resolution but they have
a slight but noticable jump between frames. It is very subtle and
easily overlooked unless you focus your attention on it.

--

"For most people the meaning and purpose of life is to
serve as a warning to others of impending disaster."

 
Reply With Quote
 
Justin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-20-2006
Bob wrote on [Fri, 20 Jan 2006 14:26:27 GMT]:
> On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 00:04:31 GMT, "Netmask"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>As I read his request he wanted to convert iPOD MP4 video To DVD standard so
>>he could play back on a standard normal machine. ie he downloaded from the
>>Internet files suitable for the iPOD.

>
>>The question of buying a DivX player was not remotely the issue

>
> What I am saying is that your "standard normal machine" has the
> capability to play DivX MPEGs - if you get the right one.


You don't understand what a standard normal machine is, then, do you?


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: How include a large array? Edward A. Falk C Programming 1 04-04-2013 08:07 PM
Re: How to convert DVD and Video to MP4/AVI/ MP3/ WMV/3GP on Mac OS X xiaohongmao007 MCSA 3 02-05-2009 03:39 AM
Re: How to Edit and Rip DVD to AVI, MP4, MPEG, 3GP, FLV, MOV, etc and Convert Video For M weihanzhao MCSD 2 02-02-2009 08:49 AM
Re: How to Edit and Rip DVD to AVI, MP4, MPEG, 3GP, FLV, MOV, etc and Convert Video For M weihanzhao MCSD 3 01-21-2009 01:41 AM



Advertisments