Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Is there a DVD Recorder that can REALLY handle MP3s

Is there a DVD Recorder that can REALLY handle MP3s

dd

I thought this would be simple to find but it seems not.
I want to use a DVD recorder (WITH HARD DRIVE) as a jukebox. Download
my MP3s, press menu and have something like an ipod in operation.
Choose by artist, album etc (as read from the MP3s themselves).

The nearest I have seen so far is various models touting they will play
MP3 from a CDRW, or the Pioneer which will snapshot the CDs to the hard
drive, but then you still just play specific CDs albeit from the hard
drive. Better than nothing I suppose, but compared to what any
portatble MP3 player can do, its archaic.

Have I missed some clever model out there???

Homer J Simpson

"dd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...

>I thought this would be simple to find but it seems not.

> Have I missed some clever model out there???

Old story. Great H/W, lousy S/W

"dd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
>I thought this would be simple to find but it seems not.
> I want to use a DVD recorder (WITH HARD DRIVE) as a jukebox. Download
> my MP3s, press menu and have something like an ipod in operation.
> Choose by artist, album etc (as read from the MP3s themselves).
>
> The nearest I have seen so far is various models touting they will play
> MP3 from a CDRW, or the Pioneer which will snapshot the CDs to the hard
> drive, but then you still just play specific CDs albeit from the hard
> drive. Better than nothing I suppose, but compared to what any
> portatble MP3 player can do, its archaic.
>
> Have I missed some clever model out there???

The Lite-On 5045. During the brief period I had one, it played DVDs encoded
with either mp3 or wma files. Of course that was from a DVDR. I never
tried transferring them from DVD to HD.

My Cyberhome 1600 (Wal-Mart DVD05MU1) will play said DVD's also, and the
directory display is better than the Lite-On as well.

Norm Strong

Bob

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 09:01:22 -0800, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My Cyberhome 1600 (Wal-Mart DVD05MU1) will play said DVD's also, and the
>directory display is better than the Lite-On as well.

Get the latest f/w and it will play MPEGs too - at least most of them,
including AVIs.

--

"For most people the meaning and purpose of life is to
serve as a warning to others of impending disaster."

dd

Thanks all

Biz

DVD players really handle DVDs, MP3 players really handle MP3's...

If you are looking for a DVD player as versatile as a good MP3 player, you
wont find it....but you can easily use a good MP3 player like an iPod, or
iRiver for exactly what you want...

"dd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Thanks all

dd

Just discovered the D-Link DSM-320 media player. Seems like just the
business.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 09:01:22 -0800, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>My Cyberhome 1600 (Wal-Mart DVD05MU1) will play said DVD's also, and the
>>directory display is better than the Lite-On as well.

> Get the latest f/w and it will play MPEGs too - at least most of them,
> including AVIs.

You're talking about the Cyberhome? If so, where do I find the latest
firmware, and what is the I.D. number for it?

Thanks muchly,

Norm

Bob

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 18:20:19 -0800, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>My Cyberhome 1600 (Wal-Mart DVD05MU1) will play said DVD's also, and the
>>>directory display is better than the Lite-On as well.

>> Get the latest f/w and it will play MPEGs too - at least most of them,
>> including AVIs.

>You're talking about the Cyberhome?

I have the ILO DVDR05.

>If so, where do I find the latest firmware

On the CH website, of course.

>and what is the I.D. number for it?

You will have to try the CH version to see if it works. Although they
are the same basic units, the f/w is not the same.

--

"For most people the meaning and purpose of life is to
serve as a warning to others of impending disaster."

c901rg@hotmail.com

I came across super dvd to ipod and it seems a good program to convert
dvd to ipod video. Hope it helps you.
http://www.best-seller-reviews.com/dvdtoipod/