Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Could flash drives replace high def blue ray ?

Could flash drives replace high def blue ray ?

AZ Nomad

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 00:35:45 GMT, habshi <hi@anony> wrote:

> It should fall in price rapidly but even at this price it is
>reusable one can download hi def movies and watch them on the hi def
>plasma tv.
>An 8GB flash drive is just $100 at bigpockets.co.uk

What a bargain. Twenty times the price of a DLDVDRW. Makes me want to buy
three hundred of them for my movie library.

I personally would rather download from a video server into a HD file and forget
the flash memory. However, before that can happen, we need something better
than DRM to protect copyright.

Scott Lurndal

MassiveProng <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 00:54:46 +0000, Phineas T Puddleduck
><(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:
>
>>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, hi@anony (habshi) wrote:
>>
>>> It should fall in price rapidly but even at this price it is
>>> reusable one can download hi def movies and watch them on the hi def
>>> plasma tv.
>>> An 8GB flash drive is just $100 at bigpockets.co.uk

>>You should set up your own (non)think tank!

> The data rate required in COMPRESSED Form coming off the disc will
>not be achieved by flash memory for a LONG time to come.

You are confusing the data rate from the transport (typically USB)
with the datarate from the underlying flash memory chips. As pointed
out upthread, the upcoming solid state disk drives (flash behind a
SATA transport and interface) can easily sustain datarates far better
than DVD and as good as the fastest 15kRPM fibrechannel drives.

scott

AZ Nomad

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 00:00:13 GMT, Scott Lurndal <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>MassiveProng <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 00:54:46 +0000, Phineas T Puddleduck
>><(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:

>>>You should set up your own (non)think tank!

>> The data rate required in COMPRESSED Form coming off the disc will
>>not be achieved by flash memory for a LONG time to come.

>You are confusing the data rate from the transport (typically USB)
>with the datarate from the underlying flash memory chips. As pointed
>out upthread, the upcoming solid state disk drives (flash behind a
>SATA transport and interface) can easily sustain datarates far better
>than DVD and as good as the fastest 15kRPM fibrechannel drives.

Free hint: the limiting factor isn't the USB2 interface.