Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Could flash drives replace high def blue ray ?

Could flash drives replace high def blue ray ?

habshi

I think blue ray may be doomed before it starts. Flash drives
upt 16Gbytes will soon be on sale will store downloaded movies from
the net to be played on media center tvs and computers .

Flash Memory to Rival Hard Drives
Slashdot - 20 hours ago
.... Samsung will start producing 16 gigabit Nand Flash chips this
year... Gartner estimates that 16GB Flash drives will cost from about
$90...

Buffalo FireStix RUF-GP1G/U2 (1GB)

Latest super fast USB Flash Disk from Buffalo with data transfer
speeds of 19MB/s (read) and 16MB/s (write) - a truely awesome USB disk
to add to the growing stable from Buffalo

Currently only available in 1GB

Impmon

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 00:05:50 GMT, habshi@anony (habshi) wrote:

> I think blue ray may be doomed before it starts. Flash drives
>upt 16Gbytes will soon be on sale will store downloaded movies from
>the net to be played on media center tvs and computers .

Not quite. It won't store high quality video that blu-ray is capable
of. Blu-Ray (and HD-DVD) are supposedly able to support size into
100's of GB and the cost per discs are just pocket change compared to
$100 for a 16GB card.

Even 2 dual layer DVD+R are cheaper than a 16GB card by almost $95.
The difference alone would more than pay off a new DVD burner plus a
few more dual layer discs. Imagine you need to make 100GB in bavckup.
Would you rather spend only about $50 for 12 dual layer DVDs or $700
for 7 cards? I'll bet the blu-ray and hd-dvd would be cheaper for
backing up 100+ GB than the flash card.

The flash card is fine for digital camera (both point and shoot and
video) and other mobil devices but it will not replace the blu-ray and
hd-dvd for video playback and file storeage and archival.
Spam block in place, no emil reply is expected at all.

Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sat, 14 Jan 2006 00:05:50 GMT) it happened habshi@anony
(habshi) wrote in <(E-Mail Removed)>:

>I think blue ray may be doomed before it starts. Flash drives
>upt 16Gbytes will soon be on sale will store downloaded movies from
>the net to be played on media center tvs and computers .

If the 16GB flashdrive costs 90$, and has 25 years data retention,
and the Blue Light Disk RW cost 10$ and has 100 years data retention,
Then one can predict the optical disks will be used for backup and simply
storage of data.

Blue light will be here end of this year perhaps, 16 GB FLASH memory will
not be here at an acceptable price end 2006 (more like >300$).

And yes I am not biased because I already had an AVI have a movie on memory
stick.

Joe S.

habshi wrote:
> I think blue ray may be doomed before it starts. Flash drives
> upt 16Gbytes will soon be on sale will store downloaded movies from
> the net to be played on media center tvs and computers .
>
> Flash Memory to Rival Hard Drives
> Slashdot - 20 hours ago
> ... Samsung will start producing 16 gigabit Nand Flash chips this
> year... Gartner estimates that 16GB Flash drives will cost from about
> $90...

If you read the article carefully you'll see that they are saying 16
gigabits, not gigabytes. 16 gigabits equals only 2 gigabytes.
We are a long long way off from 16 gigabyte flash.

GMAN

In article <dqarbo$9pr$(E-Mail Removed)>, Jan Panteltje <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On a sunny day (Sat, 14 Jan 2006 00:05:50 GMT) it happened habshi@anony
>(habshi) wrote in <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
>>I think blue ray may be doomed before it starts. Flash drives
>>upt 16Gbytes will soon be on sale will store downloaded movies from
>>the net to be played on media center tvs and computers .

>If the 16GB flashdrive costs 90$, and has 25 years data retention,
>and the Blue Light Disk RW cost 10$ and has 100 years data retention,
>Then one can predict the optical disks will be used for backup and simply
>storage of data.
>
>Blue light will be here end of this year perhaps, 16 GB FLASH memory will
>not be here at an acceptable price end 2006 (more like >300$).
>
>And yes I am not biased because I already had an AVI have a movie on memory
>stick.

Isn't Kmart the only ones that are going to stock Blue Light titles?

habshi

TAIPEI: Mobile computing devices could soon be stepping up with
Samsung's latest 32GB solid state disk (SSD). The company unveiled the
drive at the Samsung Mobile Solution Forum last week and said it was
the first time that a hard drive for mobile computing devices would be
featuring a NAND flash based storage.

Users are expected to like the chip because it allows them to download
and upload data much faster than before when their laptops did not
have a flash-based memory. The company said users will also appreciate
the SSD's ability to read data three times faster, and write 1.5 times
faster than the usual hard drives of mobile computers.

The absence of any movable parts reduces the drive's weight by half
although it is bigger than any other flash drives. More significantly,
the SSD consumes no more than 5 percent of the electricity required by
a normal hard disk drive because there are no motors or mechanical
parts that are known to exhaust batteries sooner than users would
like. No motor also means no noise - a small yet important feature
that computer makers have been struggling to improve all these years

habshi

It should fall in price rapidly but even at this price it is
reusable one can download hi def movies and watch them on the hi def
plasma tv.
An 8GB flash drive is just $100 at bigpockets.co.uk

excerpts
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16545386/page/2/
In addition to being reliable, these drives are fast. SanDisk claims a
sustained read rate of 62 megabytes per second and a random read rate
of 7,000 inputs/outputs per second. In plain English, that means itís
more than 100 times faster than most current hard disk drives.
canít begin to tell you what this ultimately means for the computer,
PDA, cell phone and portable music device industries. The only thing
that might slow down SSD acceptability is the price. Currently,
SanDiskís 32GB SSD will sell for $600. But, I would expect that price
will drop as more and more companies choose solid-state drives. A
number of electronics manufacturers are currently in talks with
SanDisk ó although they wouldnít yet disclose which ones.
This yearís prize goes to Sharp with their 108-in (diagonally
measured) Aquos LCD TV. I can report that the TV displayed a
wonderfully sharp and clear picture. Iíd love to test it in my living
room though to put it through its paces. Iíll forward my address to
Sharp as soon as I get home
http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/501690

Designed for users who demand the highest capacity drive
currently available on the market, the new 16GB Flash Voyager can
store up to 8 full- length, high definition movies with ease. 16GB of
storage capacity is equivalent of close to 4 DVDs or over 20 CDs --
all in a small foot print USB design! The drive is also bootable,
which means users can store a full version of Microsoft(R) Windows(TM)
operating system and configure the PC to boot from USB. Combined with
the large capacity of the drive, it allows IT managers and technology
users to troubleshoot from station to station with all the
applications and files necessary to perform desktop support.

"As high definition content becomes more prevalent and that consumers
demand portability of their favorite videos, pictures and
applications, the need for an ultra high capacity drive increases.
With a 16GB drive, you can put the entire series of three Lord of the
Rings movies, an operating system, chat programs, photo editing
software and still have storage space available for more," said
Richard Hashim, Director of Product Marketing at Corsair. "Consumers
have learned to rely on Corsair Flash Voyage to safe guard their
important content. The new Flash Voyager drive will protect the data
even when the drive is exposed to the most extreme conditions."

Built to Corsair's legendary quality and reliability standards, the
new 16GB USB drive delivers sustained read and write performance at
22MB/sec and 7MB/sec respectively. Taking full advantage of the new
flash controller technology, the 16GB Flash Voyager features 8 bit
Error Correcting Codes (ECC) -- the highest code scheme for flash
based controller currently available. ECC provides sophisticated
capabilities to enhance product reliability, which allows the drive to
continue to operate even after repeated use over time.

--
When you hear the toilet flush, and hear the words "uh oh", it's
already

Phineas T Puddleduck

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, hi@anony (habshi) wrote:

> It should fall in price rapidly but even at this price it is
> reusable one can download hi def movies and watch them on the hi def
> plasma tv.
> An 8GB flash drive is just $100 at bigpockets.co.uk

You should set up your own (non)think tank!

--
Saucerheads - denying the blatantly obvious since 2000.

MassiveProng

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 00:35:45 GMT, hi@anony (habshi) Gave us:

>An 8GB flash drive is just $100 at bigpockets.co.uk

15GB $79 at Fry's

MassiveProng

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 00:54:46 +0000, Phineas T Puddleduck
<(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, hi@anony (habshi) wrote:
>
>> It should fall in price rapidly but even at this price it is
>> reusable one can download hi def movies and watch them on the hi def
>> plasma tv.
>> An 8GB flash drive is just $100 at bigpockets.co.uk

>You should set up your own (non)think tank!

The data rate required in COMPRESSED Form coming off the disc will
not be achieved by flash memory for a LONG time to come.

Uncompressed even worse.

Any "content" you buy or buy into coming from such a source is going
to be very marginal in quality at best.

The video files saved on memory stick on the PSP are a fine example
of about what the max data rate can do at this time.

Looks nice on a tiny screen... That's about it.