Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Handsets and things

Handsets and things

Safesheep

I am just beginning to think about using VOIP. I have looked at various
providers, starting with SKYPE. I have also looked at others such as
VOIPTALK as they offer more services such as fax to email. I can see
advantages in using Skype due to the large number of users, including
several of my friends, however I suspect I will also sign up to Voiptalk
(or similar) for the extra features.

I know that Skype use their own system whereas Voicetalk use SIP so I am
looking for an inexpensive handset that will work with both services -
or any other I may sign up to. There is also the question of USB versus
Adaptor/DECT. Anybody any advice or recommendations?

Regards

Mike N

Thomas Kenyon

Safesheep wrote:
> I am just beginning to think about using VOIP. I have looked at various
> providers, starting with SKYPE. I have also looked at others such as
> VOIPTALK as they offer more services such as fax to email. I can see
> advantages in using Skype due to the large number of users, including
> several of my friends, however I suspect I will also sign up to Voiptalk
> (or similar) for the extra features.
>
> I know that Skype use their own system whereas Voicetalk use SIP so I am
> looking for an inexpensive handset that will work with both services -
> or any other I may sign up to. There is also the question of USB versus
> Adaptor/DECT. Anybody any advice or recommendations?
>
> Regards
>
> Mike N

I have some unopened Atcom AT-320EE's you could have for 35 + p&p, will
work with voiptalk etc. but will not work with SkyPE.

Ivor Jones

"Safesheep" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dql8g.129339$(E-Mail Removed). uk
> I am just beginning to think about using VOIP. I have
> looked at various providers, starting with SKYPE. I have
> also looked at others such as VOIPTALK as they offer more
> services such as fax to email. I can see advantages in
> using Skype due to the large number of users, including
> several of my friends, however I suspect I will also sign
> up to Voiptalk (or similar) for the extra features.
> I know that Skype use their own system whereas Voicetalk
> use SIP so I am looking for an inexpensive handset that
> will work with both services - or any other I may sign up
> to. There is also the question of USB versus
> Adaptor/DECT. Anybody any advice or recommendations?

You will not find anything that will work with both Skype and SIP. Skype
use their own proprietary protocol that isn't compatible with anything
else.

My personal recommendation is don't bother with Skype unless you know
loads of people that are already on it; I don't care for any system that
requires a PC to be on in order to use it, I prefer to make my phone calls
on a telephone..!

As to SIP providers, it's entirely up to you. I like Sipgate, but certain
people here will tell you they are crap, which may be their experience but
certainly isn't mine. It's certainly worth trying out as it is totally
free to sign up and you don't have to add credit unless you want to make
calls to the PSTN. Anyway, make up your own mind.

As to ATA's, personally I like the Sipura range, also AVM do some nice
stuff if you want an all-in-one with router and modem included.

Ivor

> Regards
>
> Mike N

paul123

Ivor Jones wrote:
> You will not find anything that will work with both Skype and SIP. Skype
> use their own proprietary protocol that isn't compatible with anything
> else.

It IS possible on one device, BUT you'll need to plug into your USB
port on your PC:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Skype-VoIPStunt-...QQcmdZViewItem

Having said it is possible, a SIP hardware solution is probably
preferable. Having to have your PC on to make a call is a hassle.

Paul

Safesheep

Thanks for this.

I have a basic headset/microphone so I may try that for Skype, but I
will probably register with Voiptalk as my main supplier and use an
adapter and DECT phone. I note the reference to the Sipura adapters but
are they significantly better than Grandstream which are a bit cheaper
(I am a pensioner on a tight budget!)

Regards

Mike N

paul123 wrote:
> Ivor Jones wrote:
>> You will not find anything that will work with both Skype and SIP. Skype
>> use their own proprietary protocol that isn't compatible with anything
>> else.

> It IS possible on one device, BUT you'll need to plug into your USB
> port on your PC:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/Skype-VoIPStunt-...QQcmdZViewItem
>
> Having said it is possible, a SIP hardware solution is probably
> preferable. Having to have your PC on to make a call is a hassle.
>
> Paul

Safesheep

I am thinking of signing up with VOIPTALK as my service supplier.

Has anybody got any experience (good or bad) of this company?

Regards

Mike N

Ivor Jones

"Safesheep" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsID8g.263040$(E-Mail Removed) .uk
> Thanks for this.
>
> I have a basic headset/microphone so I may try that for
> Skype, but I will probably register with Voiptalk as my
> main supplier and use an adapter and DECT phone. I note
> the reference to the Sipura adapters but are they
> significantly better than Grandstream which are a bit
> cheaper (I am a pensioner on a tight budget!)

IMHO, yes. The build quality is significantly better for a start.

Ivor
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

paul123

Safesheep wrote:
> Thanks for this.
>
> I have a basic headset/microphone so I may try that for Skype, but I
> will probably register with Voiptalk as my main supplier and use an
> adapter and DECT phone. I note the reference to the Sipura adapters but
> are they significantly better than Grandstream which are a bit cheaper
> (I am a pensioner on a tight budget!)
>
> Regards
>
> Mike N

I have a Linksys (Sipura) 3000 ATA and a grandstream 386 ATA. Pricewise
there is a significant difference. In performance terms they are
completely different "beasts". The grandstream might have some
shortcomings, but it DOES do the job well enough. If your budget is a
little tight, then maybe a grandstream will suit your pocket better....

Having said all that, the PAP2 ATA can be had for a similar price as
the 386. The Linksys PAP2 (Sipura in other clothes) won't allow
incoming through your landline, whilst the 386 will (on one line at
least).

> I am thinking of signing up with VOIPTALK as my service supplier.
>
> Has anybody got any experience (good or bad) of this company?

I have been using Voiptalk (silver account) for a year and a half and
have no hesitation in recommending them. Unlike many voip companies,
they do give a good service - a couple of minor issues in the early
days were quickly sorted out on their ticket support system. I also
phoned on a billing issue and they sorted it instantly (they even gave
me a fiver's worth of free credit for the trouble!).

Oh, I'm assuming you have a router to plug an adaptor into?

hairydog@despammed.com

On Thu, 11 May 2006 09:44:53 GMT, Safesheep
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a basic headset/microphone so I may try that for Skype, but I
>will probably register with Voiptalk as my main supplier and use an
>adapter and DECT phone.

I really wouldn't bother with Skype. Skype is good for people like
your Mum who wants a dead easy installation and no messing with router
settings.

If you managed to ask about it here, the right place, you will be able
to do proper SIP VOIP.

You can get free software that lets you use your headset/mic with
Voiptalk (though I'd suggest you try sipgate.co.uk first - it is
completely free, so why not?)

Still better with a SIP ATA, but you can try it all for free.

M.Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Fri, 12 May 2006 00:04:35 +0100, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>You can get free software that lets you use your headset/mic with
>Voiptalk (though I'd suggest you try sipgate.co.uk first - it is
>completely free, so why not?)

BECAUSE SIPGATE IS CRAP THAT'S WHY NOT .