Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Picture from Philips DVDR3320V shifted to the right :-(

Reply
Thread Tools

Picture from Philips DVDR3320V shifted to the right :-(

 
 
Lars-Erik ěsterud
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-10-2006
I've had an issue with the picture shifting way to the right with my
new Philips DVDR3320V DVD-recorder (see an example image on this web
page -> http://home.chello.no/~larse/DVDR3320Vbilde.jpg) and have been
looking for anyone that could know how to fix or adjust this problem.

Now I found something strange when testing other TVs and settings:

1) The picture shift to the right on other TVs as well (testet with a
Samsung 4:3 TV -> http://home.chello.no/~larse/DVDR3320Vbilde3.jpg).
So it must be the DVDR3320V that gives an image shifted to the right.

2) If I flip the RGS/component switch on the rear of the DVDR3320V the
horisontal shift is gone, but the image gets slightly worse (I guess
it's becuase it's not using RGB, but one common video-signal then or?)

On the cheap Samsung 4:3 image has interference and moire patterns.

But on my Philips 16:0 TV it's almost as good as RGB (might be because
of combfilters and stuff?). At least it's good enough for now I guess.
--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Brian
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-10-2006
Lars-Erik ěsterud <.@.> wrote:

>I've had an issue with the picture shifting way to the right with my
>new Philips DVDR3320V DVD-recorder (see an example image on this web
>page -> http://home.chello.no/~larse/DVDR3320Vbilde.jpg) and have been
>looking for anyone that could know how to fix or adjust this problem.
>
>Now I found something strange when testing other TVs and settings:
>
>1) The picture shift to the right on other TVs as well (testet with a
>Samsung 4:3 TV -> http://home.chello.no/~larse/DVDR3320Vbilde3.jpg).
>So it must be the DVDR3320V that gives an image shifted to the right.
>
>2) If I flip the RGS/component switch on the rear of the DVDR3320V the
>horisontal shift is gone, but the image gets slightly worse (I guess
>it's becuase it's not using RGB, but one common video-signal then or?)
>
>On the cheap Samsung 4:3 image has interference and moire patterns.
>
>But on my Philips 16:0 TV it's almost as good as RGB (might be because
>of combfilters and stuff?). At least it's good enough for now I guess.


On some DVD recorders and DVD players the picture on the TV can be
moved to the left or right by pressing the arrow (direction) keys on
the DVD Recorder/player's remove control. There are three options of
viewing, letterbox, wide screen and the third one I think is scan
view, in scan view not all of the picture can fit on the screen so you
use the remote control to move the picture on the TV to the left or to
the right.

Regards Brian
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Biz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-10-2006
Is it possible this could just be a case of the difference between RGB over
component vs YPbPr over component? They are different and may not be 100%
compatible on the sets you tried....This section of the DVD FAQ discusses
this and I *think* this may be your problem...

http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#3.1

Especiially here below the bullet points...

Most DVD players with component video outputs use YUV (Y'PbPr), which is
incompatible with RGB equipment. European players with component video
outputs usually provide RGBS (red/green/blue/sync) signals on the SCART
connector. YUV to RGB transcoders are rumored to be available for $200-$300,
but seem hard to track down. A $700 converter is available from avscience,
and $900 converter, the CVC 100, is available from Extron. Converters are
also available from Altinex, Kramer, Monster Cable, and others. For
progressive scan you need a converter that can handle 31.5 kHz signals.
Converters from s-video are also an option (try Markertek).

Note: The correct term for analog color-difference output is Y'Pb'Pr', not
Y'Cb'Cr' (which is digital, not analog). To simplify things, this FAQ
sometimes uses the term YUV in the generic sense to refer to analog color
difference signals.







"Lars-Erik ěsterud" <.@.> wrote in message
news:LhMwf.3528$zc1.1836@amstwist00...
> I've had an issue with the picture shifting way to the right with my
> new Philips DVDR3320V DVD-recorder (see an example image on this web
> page -> http://home.chello.no/~larse/DVDR3320Vbilde.jpg) and have been
> looking for anyone that could know how to fix or adjust this problem.
>
> Now I found something strange when testing other TVs and settings:
>
> 1) The picture shift to the right on other TVs as well (testet with a
> Samsung 4:3 TV -> http://home.chello.no/~larse/DVDR3320Vbilde3.jpg).
> So it must be the DVDR3320V that gives an image shifted to the right.
>
> 2) If I flip the RGS/component switch on the rear of the DVDR3320V the
> horisontal shift is gone, but the image gets slightly worse (I guess
> it's becuase it's not using RGB, but one common video-signal then or?)
>
> On the cheap Samsung 4:3 image has interference and moire patterns.
>
> But on my Philips 16:0 TV it's almost as good as RGB (might be because
> of combfilters and stuff?). At least it's good enough for now I guess.
> --
> Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605



 
Reply With Quote
 
Lars-Erik ěsterud
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-11-2006
Biz:

> Is it possible this could just be a case of the difference between RGB over
> component vs YPbPr over component? They are different and may not be 100%


It should provide standard RGB when the switch is in RGB position (in
fact both the SCART and the jacks should provide RGB signal then...

In the COMPONENT position the jacks provide "Y'PbPr", and it does not
say anything about the SCART (but it looks like a composite signal
then since it has more interference, and a different alignment).

My TV handles both RGB and composite on SCART1 and S-Video on SCART2
(havn't tried S-video, the DVD has a S-video connector as well

> Most DVD players with component video outputs use YUV (Y'PbPr), which is
> incompatible with RGB equipment. European players with component video


I guess that why they have the selector switch between RGB and
COMPONENT, but the logic is somwhat opposite. It's when it's in RGB
position (component OFF) that the picture is shifted to the right.
When the switch is in COMPONENT the SCART produces composite video.
--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill Vermillion
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-14-2006
In article <LhMwf.3528$zc1.1836@amstwist00>, Lars-Erik ěsterud <.@.> wrote:
>I've had an issue with the picture shifting way to the right with my
>new Philips DVDR3320V DVD-recorder (see an example image on this web
>page -> http://home.chello.no/~larse/DVDR3320Vbilde.jpg) and have been
>looking for anyone that could know how to fix or adjust this problem.
>
>Now I found something strange when testing other TVs and settings:


>1) The picture shift to the right on other TVs as well (testet with a
>Samsung 4:3 TV -> http://home.chello.no/~larse/DVDR3320Vbilde3.jpg).
>So it must be the DVDR3320V that gives an image shifted to the right.


>2) If I flip the RGS/component switch on the rear of the DVDR3320V the
>horisontal shift is gone, but the image gets slightly worse (I guess
>it's becuase it's not using RGB, but one common video-signal then or?)


I'm using another model of Philips DVR but in the setup menus there
is an option for shifting the picture to the right or left to match
your set. In the ones in the US there is also a setting for
black level to be the typical level, or the IRE blacker-than-black
level.

Bill
--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lars-Erik ěsterud
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-14-2006
Bill Vermillion:

> I'm using another model of Philips DVR but in the setup menus there
> is an option for shifting the picture to the right or left to match
> your set. In the ones in the US there is also a setting for
> black level to be the typical level, or the IRE blacker-than-black


Had this on an older Samsung, but it's not there on the Philips
DVDR3320V (I think it's not actually a Philips but an LG recorder, all
software, disk-name, tags in files etc suggest that it is an LG
--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IE 6 Win/IE 5 Mac - table shifted right rynato@gmail.com HTML 1 03-13-2007 06:22 PM
Monitor Picture shrinks every moment, Philips 107X43: FCC ID: A3KM112 Thaqalain Computer Support 5 06-10-2005 12:57 AM
Philips DVDR75 picture quality problems Hillen120 DVD Video 1 10-18-2004 08:26 PM
Kodak Picture CD on Philips DVD (724) Player DBM Digital Photography 3 08-20-2003 09:19 PM
Kodak Picture CD on Philips DVD (724) Player DBM DVD Video 3 08-20-2003 09:19 PM



Advertisments