Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Test results: DVD+R recorded on DVD-recorder won't play on PC

Test results: DVD+R recorded on DVD-recorder won't play on PC

Lars-Erik ěsterud

Done som testing to figure out what works and what does not

1) Recording on DVD+R, edit of title afterwards, finalize:
+ Play on some DVD-splayers (haven't found the logic yet)
+ Files readable on PC (can be copied etc)
- Does not play in MediaPlayer on PC (complete lockup)
- DVD Shrink gives error when trying to scan the disc

2) Recording on DVD+R, finalize immediatly (no editing)
+ Plays on most DVD-players
+ Files readable on PC (can be copied etc)
+ Plays in MediaPlayer (but you can't use the position-bar)
- DVD Shrink gives error when trying to scan the disc

3) Recording on DVD+RW
+ Plays on all DVD-players
+ Files readable on PC (can be copied etc)
+ Plays in MediaPlayer (but you can't use the position-bar)
+ DVD Shrink scans the disc OK like a standard DVD

Conclusion must be that if you record directly to a DVD+R you cannot
edit anything on the disc. Then something is messed up inside the .IFO
and .VOB files, and MediaPlayer and some DVD-players refuses to play.

Best choice seems to be recording on DVD+RW. Then you can edit (title
names, index pictures, add chapter, remove commercials etc) and then
make a copy to a DVD+R on a PC afterwards to get a standard DVD-video.

But it's a shame (and strange) that you can't even chosse the title
name on a DVD+R recording without messing it up (why can't it ask for
the title name at start or end of the recording, then you wouldn't
have to write more to the disc - seems like that is the problem).

BTW: Havn't tried recording two seesion to one disk yet
--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

maiet

"Lars-Erik ěsterud" <.@.> wrote in message
newsX4wf.3428$zc1.64@amstwist00...
> Done som testing to figure out what works and what does not
>
> 1) Recording on DVD+R, edit of title afterwards, finalize:
> + Play on some DVD-splayers (haven't found the logic yet)
> + Files readable on PC (can be copied etc)
> - Does not play in MediaPlayer on PC (complete lockup)

fine for me

- DVD Shrink gives error when trying to scan the disc

fine for me

> 2) Recording on DVD+R, finalize immediatly (no editing)
> + Plays on most DVD-players
> + Files readable on PC (can be copied etc)
> + Plays in MediaPlayer (but you can't use the position-bar)
> - DVD Shrink gives error when trying to scan the disc

again, fine for me

> 3) Recording on DVD+RW
> + Plays on all DVD-players
> + Files readable on PC (can be copied etc)
> + Plays in MediaPlayer (but you can't use the position-bar)
> + DVD Shrink scans the disc OK like a standard DVD
>
> Conclusion must be that if you record directly to a DVD+R you cannot
> edit anything on the disc. Then something is messed up inside the .IFO
> and .VOB files, and MediaPlayer and some DVD-players refuses to play.
>
> Best choice seems to be recording on DVD+RW. Then you can edit (title
> names, index pictures, add chapter, remove commercials etc) and then
> make a copy to a DVD+R on a PC afterwards to get a standard DVD-video.
>
> But it's a shame (and strange) that you can't even chosse the title
> name on a DVD+R recording without messing it up Live!

works for me

maiet

in my testing, a recording done on a +r disc from a cheap +r reocrder wont
be recognized in dvd shrink. however, on a more expensive recorder its fne.

"maiet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:43c0df9a$0$17702$(E-Mail Removed) u...

> "Lars-Erik ěsterud" <.@.> wrote in message
> newsX4wf.3428$zc1.64@amstwist00...
> > Done som testing to figure out what works and what does not
> >
> > 1) Recording on DVD+R, edit of title afterwards, finalize:
> > + Play on some DVD-splayers (haven't found the logic yet)
> > + Files readable on PC (can be copied etc)
> > - Does not play in MediaPlayer on PC (complete lockup)

> fine for me
>
> - DVD Shrink gives error when trying to scan the disc
>
> fine for me
>
> > 2) Recording on DVD+R, finalize immediatly (no editing)
> > + Plays on most DVD-players
> > + Files readable on PC (can be copied etc)
> > + Plays in MediaPlayer (but you can't use the position-bar)
> > - DVD Shrink gives error when trying to scan the disc

> again, fine for me
>
> > 3) Recording on DVD+RW
> > + Plays on all DVD-players
> > + Files readable on PC (can be copied etc)
> > + Plays in MediaPlayer (but you can't use the position-bar)
> > + DVD Shrink scans the disc OK like a standard DVD
> >
> > Conclusion must be that if you record directly to a DVD+R you cannot
> > edit anything on the disc. Then something is messed up inside the .IFO
> > and .VOB files, and MediaPlayer and some DVD-players refuses to play.
> >
> > Best choice seems to be recording on DVD+RW. Then you can edit (title
> > names, index pictures, add chapter, remove commercials etc) and then
> > make a copy to a DVD+R on a PC afterwards to get a standard DVD-video.
> >
> > But it's a shame (and strange) that you can't even chosse the title
> > name on a DVD+R recording without messing it up Live!

> works for me

GMAN

In article <43c0e03c$0$9291$(E-Mail Removed)>, "maiet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>in my testing, a recording done on a +r disc from a cheap +r reocrder wont
>be recognized in dvd shrink. however, on a more expensive recorder its fne.

That is because many of the cheap walmart type $100 burners record in VR mode,
whick many pc software titles have trouble with.
Tmpg DVD author should work as does Ulead 4.0 and others in reading the disks
though.

phil-news-nospam@ipal.net

In alt.video.dvd.tech Lars-Erik ?sterud <.@.> wrote:

| Conclusion must be that if you record directly to a DVD+R you cannot
| edit anything on the disc. Then something is messed up inside the .IFO
| and .VOB files, and MediaPlayer and some DVD-players refuses to play.

The software on consumer devices tends to be the kind of junk you would
get from hiring the lowest bidder when letting out a contract to do the
development.

| But it's a shame (and strange) that you can't even chosse the title
| name on a DVD+R recording without messing it up (why can't it ask for
| the title name at start or end of the recording, then you wouldn't
| have to write more to the disc - seems like that is the problem).

Actually it works for me on Panasonic and RCA recorders and Panasonic
and Magnavox players in all combinations when I've renamed the program
and/or renamed the disc.

| BTW: Havn't tried recording two seesion to one disk yet

I've recorded as many as 8.

I do tend to see other strange errors, which may be software or hardware.
Things like refusing to finalize and just powering itself off in the middle
of a recording. I've also had cases of disc filling up after about 5 minutes
of recording on a fresh new disk just taken from a freshly unwrapped spindle
and where I can see just a little bit actually recorded on the backside.