Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVD rentals up hugely in 2005

DVD rentals up hugely in 2005

Rich

Did I hear something like 14%? That was a greater increase by far
than sales of DVDs.
-Rich

Allan

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 13:55:03 -0500, Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Did I hear something like 14%? That was a greater increase by far
>than sales of DVDs.
>-Rich

"Consumers spent another $6.5 billion renting DVDs, up 14 percent over
last year, the group said.

The category increases mark a sharp slowdown from prior years‘
spikes."

http://www.localnewsleader.com/brock...-00120970.html

- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

Black Locust

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Did I hear something like 14%? That was a greater increase by far
> than sales of DVDs.
> -Rich

It's expected many people will return to renting over the next few
years, as most consumers already have all the catalog titles they want
and have begun to grow tired of buying every new release that comes
out(many of which they'll only watch once).

This will probably end up being the saving grace for the struggling
Blockbuster and Hollywood Video stores out there...