Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > HD DVD backers promise 200 movies.

Reply
Thread Tools

HD DVD backers promise 200 movies.

 
 
Allan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-05-2006
http://news.com.com/HD+DVD+backers+p...3-6019023.html

"LAS VEGAS--The video format wars kicked into high gear on Wednesday
when the companies backing HD DVD said that nearly 200 titles would be
available for the format by the end of the year."






"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game
because they almost always turn out to be -- or to be indistinguishable from
-- self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Goro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-05-2006

Allan wrote:
> http://news.com.com/HD+DVD+backers+p...3-6019023.html
>
> "LAS VEGAS--The video format wars kicked into high gear on Wednesday
> when the companies backing HD DVD said that nearly 200 titles would be
> available for the format by the end of the year."


Amazon has a list of a few of the titles. OTTOMH: Matrix trilogy, Star
Trek movies, Band of Brothers, Friends, Batman Begins, Braveheart.

WN distributes HBO shows. Rome, The Wire, Sopranos should be out this
year, i'd expect. HD ROME looked beauteous.

-goro-

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Alpha
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-05-2006

"Allan" <Spamsucks@darkbuffyandkantica22arestillbrianlamb. org> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://news.com.com/HD+DVD+backers+p...3-6019023.html
>
> "LAS VEGAS--The video format wars kicked into high gear on Wednesday
> when the companies backing HD DVD said that nearly 200 titles would be
> available for the format by the end of the year."
>
>
>
>
>
>
> "Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game
> because they almost always turn out to be -- or to be indistinguishable
> from
> -- self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free
> time."
> - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_


Well, I am willing to put my money where my mouth is. I pre-ordered the HD
DVD player and several titles on Amazon.com.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Goro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-05-2006

Alpha wrote:
> "Allan" <Spamsucks@darkbuffyandkantica22arestillbrianlamb. org> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > http://news.com.com/HD+DVD+backers+p...3-6019023.html
> >
> > "LAS VEGAS--The video format wars kicked into high gear on Wednesday
> > when the companies backing HD DVD said that nearly 200 titles would be
> > available for the format by the end of the year."
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > "Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game
> > because they almost always turn out to be -- or to be indistinguishable
> > from
> > -- self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free
> > time."
> > - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

>
> Well, I am willing to put my money where my mouth is. I pre-ordered the HD
> DVD player and several titles on Amazon.com.


Isn't that a bit premature? I mean, don't you want to see what it/they
look like before buying into it? And deciding between players, also,
you'd likely like to see wha tsome of the issues are prior to buying
into it?

At least that's where I stand on it. I'd like to buy into on of the
formats.

I'm particularly interested in burners and putting x264 mkv files onto
a disc and then using a MMPC to output 720p/1080p to the HDTV.

-goro-

 
Reply With Quote
 
Goro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-05-2006
I just checked amazon.com and it seems like they pulled all the HD-DVD
title listings.

-goro-

 
Reply With Quote
 
Rich
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-06-2006
On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 12:24:11 -0800, "Alpha" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>"Allan" <Spamsucks@darkbuffyandkantica22arestillbrianlamb. org> wrote in
>message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> http://news.com.com/HD+DVD+backers+p...3-6019023.html
>>
>> "LAS VEGAS--The video format wars kicked into high gear on Wednesday
>> when the companies backing HD DVD said that nearly 200 titles would be
>> available for the format by the end of the year."
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> "Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game
>> because they almost always turn out to be -- or to be indistinguishable
>> from
>> -- self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free
>> time."
>> - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

>
>Well, I am willing to put my money where my mouth is. I pre-ordered the HD
>DVD player and several titles on Amazon.com.
>
>


Good man! Early adopters create the market, initially.
-Rich
 
Reply With Quote
 
Allan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-06-2006
On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 12:24:11 -0800, "Alpha" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>Well, I am willing to put my money where my mouth is. I pre-ordered the HD
>DVD player and several titles on Amazon.com.
>
>


What model are you gettng???






"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game
because they almost always turn out to be -- or to be indistinguishable from
-- self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
 
Reply With Quote
 
Allan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-06-2006


On 5 Jan 2006 14:05:10 -0800, "Goro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I just checked amazon.com and it seems like they pulled all the HD-DVD
>title listings.
>
>-goro-


Actually... Amazon has created a HD DVD Store:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...434420-3860910






"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game
because they almost always turn out to be -- or to be indistinguishable from
-- self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
 
Reply With Quote
 
Roy L. Fuchs
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-06-2006
On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 19:42:46 -0500, Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:


>Good man! Early adopters create the market, initially.
>-Rich


In this case, they fund the research for a product that will actually
work!

Compared to all other methods of putting the ability to view a film
in your home, this one will surely be a roller coaster ride. One that
I won't be riding on for a long time.

DVD will be around for a long time, and is at a perfectly fine
resolution.

All the folks that ****ed and moaned about the prices of DVD will
have a field day with the prices of the HD titles. Hahahahah...

This **** is too funny.

Blue lasers die at the same rate your wallets will!
 
Reply With Quote
 
Roy L. Fuchs
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-06-2006
On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 20:32:52 -0500, Allan
<Spamsucks@darkbuffyandkantica22arestillbrianlamb. org> Gave us:

>Actually... Amazon has created a HD DVD Store:



It is a test for popularity so they can determine how far they are
going to ream you.

Note also that each title clearly states that the studios have NOT
provided release dates yet.

The whole thing is a cash cow.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
200/f2 vs. 70-200/f2.8 Cynicor Digital Photography 74 02-20-2008 03:23 PM
Defeat for net neutrality backers (but what does it mean?) imhotep Computer Security 2 06-10-2006 09:31 AM
Tamron 18-200 vs Sigma 18-125 & 18-200 Bill Tuthill Digital Photography 11 09-01-2005 09:55 PM
HVD Format Gains Backers. Allan DVD Video 2 02-08-2005 01:45 AM
Light tele for D70: Sigma 55-200 or Nikon 28-200? Albert Voss Digital Photography 7 04-11-2004 12:24 AM



Advertisments