Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > HD DVD Is Here, I Am Pump

HD DVD Is Here, I Am Pump

nospam@nospam.com

http://www.dvdexclusive.com/article.asp?articleID=2624

http://www.dvdexclusive.com/article.asp?articleID=2625

http://www.dvdexclusive.com/article.asp?articleID=2623

Look at the titles, LOTR, T2, Mission Impossible, all will be
available by the end of the year. HD DVD is for real, no pricing info
yet but my guess is MSRP will be around $30-$35 and retail for less
than that. So maybe $5-$10 max premium over SD DVD, not a bad deal if
you want to collect.

Konwing what I know about the history of SD DVD, there’s no doubt
there will be a super soup up version of theese movies with better
features and picture available down the road but at least there will
be premier content avialable to early adopters from the get go.

The downside of this, from the look of things, is that this will be a
pro-longed war with both sides having deep pockets. I don’t think
there will be a clear cut winner in this case. Instead the final
solution will probably be a universal player that will make the
difference between both types of HD DVD transparent to Joe six pack.

And because both camps want to gain market shares, they wouldn’t hold
off releasing big name titles at reasonable prices to the market,
which is good news to early adopters.

The deciding factor might lie elswhere in the land of soon to be
released PS3. If Sony could give away a Blue Ray player in every PS3,
so that Joe six pack could pick up a copy of Sony movie alone with
Metal Gear Solid X, my money would be on Blue Ray.

Alpha

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.dvdexclusive.com/article.asp?articleID=2624
>
> http://www.dvdexclusive.com/article.asp?articleID=2625
>
> http://www.dvdexclusive.com/article.asp?articleID=2623
>
> Look at the titles, LOTR, T2, Mission Impossible, all will be
> available by the end of the year. HD DVD is for real, no pricing info
> yet but my guess is MSRP will be around $30-$35 and retail for less
> than that. So maybe $5-$10 max premium over SD DVD, not a bad deal if
> you want to collect.
>

> Konwing what I know about the history of SD DVD, there’s no doubt
> there will be a super soup up version of theese movies with better
> features and picture available down the road but at least there will
> be premier content avialable to early adopters from the get go.
>

> The downside of this, from the look of things, is that this will be a
> pro-longed war with both sides having deep pockets. I don’t think
> there will be a clear cut winner in this case. Instead the final
> solution will probably be a universal player that will make the
> difference between both types of HD DVD transparent to Joe six pack.
>

> And because both camps want to gain market shares, they wouldn’t hold
> off releasing big name titles at reasonable prices to the market,
> which is good news to early adopters.
>

> The deciding factor might lie elswhere in the land of soon to be
> released PS3. If Sony could give away a Blue Ray player in every PS3,
> so that Joe six pack could pick up a copy of Sony movie alone with
> Metal Gear Solid X, my money would be on Blue Ray.

These are far, far more significant releases than the Blu Ray junk mentioned
in an earlier thread.

My HD enhanced panel of 50" will arrive soon...I am looking forward to HDMI
connections and eventually HD DVD.

I warned that the Blu Ray technology would be prohibitively expensive. I
stand by my initial analyses in that regard!

[PS Sony cannot give away a Blu Ray player in the PS3....it is a pipe
dream]

Phil R.

You're a pump?

That's weird.