Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Discontinued! @#$%^&*!!

Discontinued! @#$%^&*!!

Roy L. Fuchs

On 4 Jan 2006 13:26:13 -0800, "NYC XYZ" <(E-Mail Removed)>
Gave us:

>Justin wrote:
>>

>> Oh, certainly, costs per unit go down dramatically the more you produce.

>Yes, but I'm not just saying that costs go down per title, but that
>they do for any given title, since it's all the same to the facility
>what's being turned out, right?

For the most part, a disc is a disc is a disc. The only difference
are the layer count and form factor as in:

http://www.deluxemedia.com/support/d...mats.xml#DVD-5

>> If those 50 take 5 years to sell they'd most likely not make a next
>> batch.

>But that's what I'm not getting -- if the cost is negligible to the
>point of being non-existent, why not? Again, the assumption here is
>that things operate like a paper press putting out business cards -- I
>can certainly throw in Jane and Mary at five hundred each for very
>little additonal charge, given that you're running Tom, Dick, and Harry
>for five thousand each.

Scheduling. There are MANY titles to be pressed, and pushing back a
schedule is not easy and DOES have a higher cost attached to it.

>> Well, maybe it is correct. Who knew!

>Ah, well, it's Japanese anyway. I wonder if they really sell "Castle
>in the Sky" as "Laputa" in spanish-speaking regions.

NYC XYZ

Roy L. Fuchs wrote:

> For the most part, a disc is a disc is a disc. The only difference
> are the layer count and form factor as in:
>
> http://www.deluxemedia.com/support/d...mats.xml#DVD-5

Right. So that settles it. Doesn't matter whether the title's selling
or not; an extra fifty or so on a run of tens of thousands isn't
anything that will raise costs.

> Scheduling. There are MANY titles to be pressed, and pushing back a
> schedule is not easy and DOES have a higher cost attached to it.

Well then, I guess scheduling DVD pressing is really very fundamentally
different from scheduling paper printing.

Justin

NYC XYZ wrote on [4 Jan 2006 13:38:34 -0800]:

> Justin wrote:
>>

>> No, production costs are the reason. Movies aren't free. Most movies do
>> not break even in the theatrical run. Distribution and labour also
>> aren't free, do you think movies put themself onto DVDs and then take
>> themself to the store?

> The argument isn't about things being free, it's about things being
> expensive.

DVDs are a luxury item, $5-$15 isn't too much to ask for a luxury item.

> The argument against piracy is that it makes prices high. That's pure
> bullshit, and I wish folks stop buying into it.

If you think current prices are high then you need a new career

> Same goddamned LIE the music industry's been on for years. Well, I
> hope you read your papers two years or so ago, when "The Big Five"
> settled with a government anti-trust suit over their artificially
> keeping CD prices high.

is $11-$12 high for a CD? I don't think it is. Yes, that's what I pay
for CDs, new.

>> If someone wasn't going to buy something if it wasn't free, this is
>> true. The number of sales actually lost is incalculable.

> ?
>
> I only bought Carmen Elektra's Strip Poker DVD 'cause it's $6. That's
> less than four slices of pizza here in NYC.

There are people that pirate just to pirate, there are people who pirate
because they are cheap. Cheap people would be the ones that would buy if
that was the only choice, the pirate collector, i.e. the ones who brag
about having a gajillion movies in their "collection" wouldn't.

>> in the example, Silence of the Lambs, Criterion lost the license.

> I don't understand these people. You know when you lose the license --
> it's right there in the contract -- why not have contingency plans to
> sell all stock in such an event?

What makes you think they don't?

>> Sometimes

> Well, that's the case we're arguing here, not whether it's discontinued
> due to a loss of rights (in which case they should be pirated --
> absolutely ridiculous to have cultural treasures behind lock and key
> while crap constitute the first gazillion hits on google).

More often, when licenses expire, someone else will pick it up.

Roy L. Fuchs

On 4 Jan 2006 13:27:55 -0800, "NYC XYZ" <(E-Mail Removed)>
Gave us:

>I'm not disagreeing with you. Just pointing out that paper presses
>understand capital M (how the Romans used to write it -- there was no
>such thing as lower-case then) as one thousand.

Rome fell a LONG time ago, as have many "paper presses".

Try to refrain from top posting in Usenet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-post

NYC XYZ

Justin wrote:

> Of course, Big Studio DVDs cost under $20, on average. If you wait 6
> months they are even cheaper. I never pay more than $15 for a Big Studio
> DVD on release day. I often pay 10 or less, not on release day anymore,
> but I have one of those virtue thingies, patience.

No, some, like Woody Allen's "Husbands and Wives" is still at $20 (the
cheapest online price, which is often the cheapest price anywhere this
side of the Third World).

Greed, pure and simple. I'm not against artists profiting from their
genius, but unless there's been a silent communist takeover recently,
the only reason prices are four times the minimum wage is 'cause of the
suits.

Again, it's in the newspapers all the time. Businesses will always try
to squeeze you. I don't care how charismatic their image is -- Apple
is the nice-guy-date-rapist -- they will lie and squeeze their
customers when they feel they can get away with it. What's truly sad
is how folks let them, accepting excuses like "piracy increases costs."

Remember, everything from crops and beans to memory chips and music CDs
have been kept artificially high. Just you remember that the next time
you think these fat cats are being hurt by illegal immigrants selling
top-quality knock-offs on the street.

Justin

Roy L Fuchs wrote on [Wed, 04 Jan 2006 21:55:28 GMT]:
> On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 21:30:17 GMT, Justin <(E-Mail Removed)> Gave
> us:
>
>>Roy L Fuchs wrote on [Wed, 04 Jan 2006 21:32:01 GMT]:
>>> On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 21:06:33 GMT, Justin <(E-Mail Removed)> Gave
>>> us:

>>> I wait sometime, but I go buy when it hits the streets a lot as
>>> well. Hell, Fry's releases at $14 on every one. It gets you in their
>>> store, and their discs move. Imagine that.
>>>
>>> They also have one of the most comprehensive collections as well.
>>>
>>> ALL TV show releases... You couldn't name one they don't have...ALL
>>> history channel, discovery, Nat'l Geo, etc. etc. ALL odd genre ALL
>>> anime (not that I am a fan) ALL Criterion.

>>They don't have ALL anime... They have a lot, but not all.

> Most. I guess it would be hard to have them all.

They don't even carry all currently printed or newly released anime.

>>> I have Firesign Theater re-releases (never thought I'd see those)
>>> again.

>>https://lodestonecatalog.com/firesign.html

> WOW. Thank you so very very much for that. I only have
> "Waiting for the Electrician..." so far on CD (many on album)
>
> BUT NOW, I will be getting them ALL! At least THAT trilogy, anyway.
> WOW! Thanks!
>
> You know there works? Funny, timeless stuff!

Yep, some good stuff in there

Roy L. Fuchs

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 21:30:17 GMT, Justin <(E-Mail Removed)> Gave
us:

>Roy L Fuchs wrote on [Wed, 04 Jan 2006 21:32:01 GMT]:
>> On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 21:06:33 GMT, Justin <(E-Mail Removed)> Gave
>> us:

>>>Of course, Big Studio DVDs cost under $20, on average. If you wait 6
>>>months they are even cheaper. I never pay more than $15 for a Big Studio
>>>DVD on release day. I often pay 10 or less, not on release day anymore,
>>>but I have one of those virtue thingies, patience.

>> I wait sometime, but I go buy when it hits the streets a lot as
>> well. Hell, Fry's releases at $14 on every one. It gets you in their
>> store, and their discs move. Imagine that.
>>
>> They also have one of the most comprehensive collections as well.
>>
>> ALL TV show releases... You couldn't name one they don't have...ALL
>> history channel, discovery, Nat'l Geo, etc. etc. ALL odd genre ALL
>> anime (not that I am a fan) ALL Criterion.

>They don't have ALL anime... They have a lot, but not all.

Most. I guess it would be hard to have them all.

>> I have Firesign Theater re-releases (never thought I'd see those)
>> again.

>https://lodestonecatalog.com/firesign.html

WOW. Thank you so very very much for that. I only have
"Waiting for the Electrician..." so far on CD (many on album)

BUT NOW, I will be getting them ALL! At least THAT trilogy, anyway.
WOW! Thanks!

You know there works? Funny, timeless stuff!

>> Anyway, why should I roam around town to so many places when they
>> have it all right there? Their only drawback is that one must make
>> sure one is buying a new product as it relates to hardware buys.
>> They get a lot of returns that they repackage. That is the only thing
>> I find about them that is lame, and it only seems to relate to
>> computer gear.

>Repacking and selling as new is just wrong.

I totally agree.

>While Fry's is nice, I prefer to have things delivered to my door
>instead of making a trip

It's right down the street from here. I just include a lunch stop
into it.

Roy L. Fuchs

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 21:34:30 GMT, Justin <(E-Mail Removed)> Gave
us:

>NYC XYZ wrote on [4 Jan 2006 13:26:13 -0800]:
>>
>> Justin wrote:
>>>

>>> Oh, certainly, costs per unit go down dramatically the more you produce.

>> Yes, but I'm not just saying that costs go down per title, but that
>> they do for any given title, since it's all the same to the facility
>> what's being turned out, right?

>No, DVDs are pressed from a master and not printed from a press.
>
>Most printing presses have to change film for each item, anyway
>
>>> If those 50 take 5 years to sell they'd most likely not make a next
>>> batch.

>> But that's what I'm not getting -- if the cost is negligible to the
>> point of being non-existent, why not? Again, the assumption here is
>> that things operate like a paper press putting out business cards -- I
>> can certainly throw in Jane and Mary at five hundred each for very
>> little additonal charge, given that you're running Tom, Dick, and Harry
>> for five thousand each.

>Not anywhere near the same.

He should think "Album". Albeit clean room, laminated album!

Roy L. Fuchs

On 4 Jan 2006 13:41:34 -0800, "NYC XYZ" <(E-Mail Removed)>
Gave us:

>You're the idiot, drinking that Kool-Aid about increased costs.

You're just another top posting, convention ignoring, Usenet
dipshit. Learn about the forums you invade. It ain't email.

NYC XYZ wrote on [4 Jan 2006 13:50:33 -0800]:

> Justin wrote:
>>

>> Of course, Big Studio DVDs cost under $20, on average. If you wait 6
>> months they are even cheaper. I never pay more than $15 for a Big Studio
>> DVD on release day. I often pay 10 or less, not on release day anymore,
>> but I have one of those virtue thingies, patience.

> No, some, like Woody Allen's "Husbands and Wives" is still at $20 (the
> cheapest online price, which is often the cheapest price anywhere this
> side of the Third World).

Yes, there will be a few that stay in the higher price ranges

> Greed, pure and simple. I'm not against artists profiting from their
> genius, but unless there's been a silent communist takeover recently,
> the only reason prices are four times the minimum wage is 'cause of the
> suits.

If it were a communist society they would be free.

Once again, DVDs are a luxury, and the studios charge what people are
willing to pay.

> Again, it's in the newspapers all the time. Businesses will always try
> to squeeze you. I don't care how charismatic their image is -- Apple
> is the nice-guy-date-rapist -- they will lie and squeeze their
> customers when they feel they can get away with it. What's truly sad
> is how folks let them, accepting excuses like "piracy increases costs."

Yes, I can see all the people pirating Woddy Allen crap right now...

> Remember, everything from crops and beans to memory chips and music CDs
> have been kept artificially high. Just you remember that the next time
> you think these fat cats are being hurt by illegal immigrants selling
> top-quality knock-offs on the street.

Memory chips, kept artifically high? Are you insane?