Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Discontinued! @#$%^&*!!

Discontinued! @#$%^&*!!

Justin

Roy L Fuchs wrote on [Wed, 04 Jan 2006 21:06:33 GMT]:
> On 4 Jan 2006 12:28:20 -0800, "NYC XYZ" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Gave us:
>
>>Roy L. Fuchs wrote:
>>>
>>> "Bulk runs" As you call them are not burned either. Studio discs
>>> are STAMPED. Anyone that would call burned discs a production method
>>> ain't real bright, and is certainly pirating (referring to the other
>>> ding dong).

>>Piracy is not the reason why Big Studio DVDs cost $20 on average.
>>GREED is.

> Absolutely not. The price is quite reasonable, and cost of
> manufacture has nothing to do with it nor does piracy concerns. It
> just happens to be an acceptable price point to any civil adult. It's
> you **** and moan retards that need to manufacture reasons why you
> think you are being ripped off that have a problem. You need to learn
> how to conform to societies norms, not try to make them up as you go
> along. The opinion of you and your bar room buddies is *not* that
> norm.

Of course, Big Studio DVDs cost under $20, on average. If you wait 6
months they are even cheaper. I never pay more than $15 for a Big Studio
DVD on release day. I often pay 10 or less, not on release day anymore,
but I have one of those virtue thingies, patience.

Roy L. Fuchs

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 20:48:56 GMT, Justin <(E-Mail Removed)> Gave
us:

>Roy L Fuchs wrote on [Wed, 04 Jan 2006 20:42:47 GMT]:
>> On 4 Jan 2006 12:28:02 -0800, "NYC XYZ" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Gave us:

>>>Sure, in the computer world as well (generally "MB," though).
>>>
>>>Mille is Latin for a thousand. This is what printers go by.

>> We ALL use the METRIC system these days. So do DISC "publishers"
>>
>> I'd bet that book publisher do as well.
>>
>> Little m is mille or 1/1000.

>milli

Thank you. I got thrown off by an apparent english tart that
doesn't even know the metric system.

Been to the theatre lately? :-]

Roy L. Fuchs

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 20:54:04 GMT, Justin <(E-Mail Removed)> Gave
us:

>in the example, Silence of the Lambs, Criterion lost the license.

Or it was a limited license to begin with.

NYC XYZ

Justin wrote:

> Oh, certainly, costs per unit go down dramatically the more you produce.

Yes, but I'm not just saying that costs go down per title, but that
they do for any given title, since it's all the same to the facility
what's being turned out, right?

> If those 50 take 5 years to sell they'd most likely not make a next
> batch.

But that's what I'm not getting -- if the cost is negligible to the
point of being non-existent, why not? Again, the assumption here is
that things operate like a paper press putting out business cards -- I
can certainly throw in Jane and Mary at five hundred each for very
little additonal charge, given that you're running Tom, Dick, and Harry
for five thousand each.

> Well, maybe it is correct. Who knew!

Ah, well, it's Japanese anyway. I wonder if they really sell "Castle
in the Sky" as "Laputa" in spanish-speaking regions.

NYC XYZ

I'm not disagreeing with you. Just pointing out that paper presses
understand capital M (how the Romans used to write it -- there was no
such thing as lower-case then) as one thousand.

Roy L. Fuchs wrote:

> We ALL use the METRIC system these days. So do DISC "publishers"
>
> I'd bet that book publisher do as well.
>
> Little m is mille or 1/1000.
>
> Little k is kilo 1000
>
> Capital M is Mega or MILLION.

Justin

Roy L Fuchs wrote on [Wed, 04 Jan 2006 21:32:01 GMT]:
> On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 21:06:33 GMT, Justin <(E-Mail Removed)> Gave
> us:
>
>>Roy L Fuchs wrote on [Wed, 04 Jan 2006 21:06:33 GMT]:
>>> On 4 Jan 2006 12:28:20 -0800, "NYC XYZ" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>> Gave us:

>>> Absolutely not. The price is quite reasonable, and cost of
>>> manufacture has nothing to do with it nor does piracy concerns. It
>>> just happens to be an acceptable price point to any civil adult. It's
>>> you **** and moan retards that need to manufacture reasons why you
>>> think you are being ripped off that have a problem. You need to learn
>>> how to conform to societies norms, not try to make them up as you go
>>> along. The opinion of you and your bar room buddies is *not* that
>>> norm.

>>Of course, Big Studio DVDs cost under $20, on average. If you wait 6
>>months they are even cheaper. I never pay more than $15 for a Big Studio
>>DVD on release day. I often pay 10 or less, not on release day anymore,
>>but I have one of those virtue thingies, patience.

> I wait sometime, but I go buy when it hits the streets a lot as
> well. Hell, Fry's releases at $14 on every one. It gets you in their
> store, and their discs move. Imagine that.
>
> They also have one of the most comprehensive collections as well.
>
> ALL TV show releases... You couldn't name one they don't have...ALL
> history channel, discovery, Nat'l Geo, etc. etc. ALL odd genre ALL
> anime (not that I am a fan) ALL Criterion.

They don't have ALL anime... They have a lot, but not all.

https://lodestonecatalog.com/firesign.html

> Anyway, why should I roam around town to so many places when they
> have it all right there? Their only drawback is that one must make
> sure one is buying a new product as it relates to hardware buys.
> They get a lot of returns that they repackage. That is the only thing
> I find about them that is lame, and it only seems to relate to
> computer gear.

Repacking and selling as new is just wrong.

While Fry's is nice, I prefer to have things delivered to my door
instead of making a trip

Roy L. Fuchs

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 21:06:33 GMT, Justin <(E-Mail Removed)> Gave
us:

>Roy L Fuchs wrote on [Wed, 04 Jan 2006 21:06:33 GMT]:
>> On 4 Jan 2006 12:28:20 -0800, "NYC XYZ" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Gave us:

>>>Piracy is not the reason why Big Studio DVDs cost $20 on average.
>>>GREED is.

>> Absolutely not. The price is quite reasonable, and cost of
>> manufacture has nothing to do with it nor does piracy concerns. It
>> just happens to be an acceptable price point to any civil adult. It's
>> you **** and moan retards that need to manufacture reasons why you
>> think you are being ripped off that have a problem. You need to learn
>> how to conform to societies norms, not try to make them up as you go
>> along. The opinion of you and your bar room buddies is *not* that
>> norm.

>Of course, Big Studio DVDs cost under $20, on average. If you wait 6
>months they are even cheaper. I never pay more than $15 for a Big Studio
>DVD on release day. I often pay 10 or less, not on release day anymore,
>but I have one of those virtue thingies, patience.

I wait sometime, but I go buy when it hits the streets a lot as
well. Hell, Fry's releases at $14 on every one. It gets you in their
store, and their discs move. Imagine that.

They also have one of the most comprehensive collections as well.

ALL TV show releases... You couldn't name one they don't have...ALL
history channel, discovery, Nat'l Geo, etc. etc. ALL odd genre ALL
anime (not that I am a fan) ALL Criterion.

Many foreign titles. ALL CD s as well. They are the ultimate record
store!

I have Firesign Theater re-releases (never thought I'd see those)
again.

I got a new re-mastered Genesis The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

I am looking for Gentle Giant, and Synergy (great stuff!).

Phil's crap is NOT Genesis (except the early stuff when he drummed
and Peter Gabriel was the lead vocalist. After '76, Genesis went
downhill fast. SuSuwhatthe****io!!???? Phil needs help, though he
cashed in on the name, he is WAY commercial, and way lame.

Anyway, why should I roam around town to so many places when they
have it all right there? Their only drawback is that one must make
sure one is buying a new product as it relates to hardware buys.
They get a lot of returns that they repackage. That is the only thing
I find about them that is lame, and it only seems to relate to
computer gear.

"Have a nice day..." -- Jaime Escalante in "Stand and Deliver"

Justin

NYC XYZ wrote on [4 Jan 2006 13:26:13 -0800]:

> Justin wrote:
>>

>> Oh, certainly, costs per unit go down dramatically the more you produce.

> Yes, but I'm not just saying that costs go down per title, but that
> they do for any given title, since it's all the same to the facility
> what's being turned out, right?

No, DVDs are pressed from a master and not printed from a press.

Most printing presses have to change film for each item, anyway

>> If those 50 take 5 years to sell they'd most likely not make a next
>> batch.

> But that's what I'm not getting -- if the cost is negligible to the
> point of being non-existent, why not? Again, the assumption here is
> that things operate like a paper press putting out business cards -- I
> can certainly throw in Jane and Mary at five hundred each for very
> little additonal charge, given that you're running Tom, Dick, and Harry
> for five thousand each.

Not anywhere near the same.

NYC XYZ

Justin wrote:

> No, production costs are the reason. Movies aren't free. Most movies do
> not break even in the theatrical run. Distribution and labour also
> aren't free, do you think movies put themself onto DVDs and then take
> themself to the store?

The argument isn't about things being free, it's about things being
expensive.

The argument against piracy is that it makes prices high. That's pure
bullshit, and I wish folks stop buying into it.

Same goddamned LIE the music industry's been on for years. Well, I
hope you read your papers two years or so ago, when "The Big Five"
settled with a government anti-trust suit over their artificially
keeping CD prices high.

PIRACY = INCREASED COSTS = BULLSHIT.

LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE

If it weren't for my own laziness (what's "ripping"?) and snobbishness
(I like it "original") I'd pirate the thieves, too.

> If someone wasn't going to buy something if it wasn't free, this is
> true. The number of sales actually lost is incalculable.

?

I only bought Carmen Elektra's Strip Poker DVD 'cause it's $6. That's
less than four slices of pizza here in NYC.

> in the example, Silence of the Lambs, Criterion lost the license.

I don't understand these people. You know when you lose the license --
it's right there in the contract -- why not have contingency plans to
sell all stock in such an event?

> I know
> that if I produced something I would make certain to have enough copies
> on hand to never have no copies, no matter how many I had given away as
> examples of my work.

Now that's what I'm talking about! Especially your
critically-acclaimed titles which lend prestige to your catalog. Heck,
even Shakespeare's been forgotten at one time (Bach, Mozart...believe
it or not, all the geniuses were almost immediately forgotten after
their deaths).

> Sometimes

Well, that's the case we're arguing here, not whether it's discontinued
due to a loss of rights (in which case they should be pirated --
absolutely ridiculous to have cultural treasures behind lock and key
while crap constitute the first gazillion hits on google).

NYC XYZ

You're the idiot, drinking that Kool-Aid about increased costs.