Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Discontinued! @#$%^&*!!

Reply
Thread Tools

Discontinued! @#$%^&*!!

 
 
NYC XYZ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-03-2006

Somebody explain...how a big company like Tri-Star/Columbia Home Video
can discontinue DVD production of critically-acclaimed flims "Carmen's
Bizet" and " 32 Films About Glen Gould"???????

What next? Not a very good New Year -- every other time I find some
film of interest it's no longer available on DVD!

God damn it, what should be unavailable is crap like "Wings of
Honneamise"...what a video hack-job....

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Biz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-04-2006
Critically acclaimed or not, if they arent selling, why should anyone keep
producing them?

If you know that they are sellings hundreds of thousand of copies, then
thats a different story, but I highly doubt these are big sellers...

"NYC XYZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>
> Somebody explain...how a big company like Tri-Star/Columbia Home Video
> can discontinue DVD production of critically-acclaimed flims "Carmen's
> Bizet" and " 32 Films About Glen Gould"???????
>
> What next? Not a very good New Year -- every other time I find some
> film of interest it's no longer available on DVD!
>
> God damn it, what should be unavailable is crap like "Wings of
> Honneamise"...what a video hack-job....
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Justin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-04-2006
NYC XYZ wrote on [3 Jan 2006 10:54:45 -0800]:
>
> Somebody explain...how a big company like Tri-Star/Columbia Home Video
> can discontinue DVD production of critically-acclaimed flims "Carmen's
> Bizet" and " 32 Films About Glen Gould"???????


Loss of rights, lack of sales, reissue coming with better quality...

any of these could be the reason, and more.

> God damn it, what should be unavailable is crap like "Wings of
> Honneamise"...what a video hack-job....


different company, different reasons.
 
Reply With Quote
 
NYC XYZ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-04-2006

Biz wrote:
> Critically acclaimed or not, if they arent selling, why should anyone keep
> producing them?
>
> If you know that they are sellings hundreds of thousand of copies, then
> thats a different story, but I highly doubt these are big sellers...



But we're talking Columbia/Tri-Star here...surely it doesn't cost
anything, relatively speaking, to keep an inventory of fifty discs
around?

I'm reminded of what I'd read about F. Scott Fitzgerald's works being
out-of-print for a decade before being rediscovered sometime in the
'50s. Apparently, the publisher, Scribner & Sons, used to print up a
few dozen copies each year for the odd request, before new management
forced an entirely different business model.

This is what Thomas Jefferson had warned about...a nation of
shopkeepers, with the attendant boorish mentality! >=(

 
Reply With Quote
 
NYC XYZ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-04-2006

Justin wrote:
>
>
> Loss of rights, lack of sales, reissue coming with better quality...
>
> any of these could be the reason, and more.


Ah, loss of rights...yes, that's often the reason, actually.

Sigh!

> different company, different reasons.


I should have heeded this group's old warnings and bought the Japanese
version...the Region 1 disc is so bad I refuse to watch anymore --
would just be spoiling what's supposed to be good anime.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Invid Fan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-04-2006
In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>, NYC
XYZ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Biz wrote:
> > Critically acclaimed or not, if they arent selling, why should anyone keep
> > producing them?
> >
> > If you know that they are sellings hundreds of thousand of copies, then
> > thats a different story, but I highly doubt these are big sellers...

>
>
> But we're talking Columbia/Tri-Star here...surely it doesn't cost
> anything, relatively speaking, to keep an inventory of fifty discs
> around?
>

But it also doesn't make them any money, relatively speaking. The
per-disk cost of burning 50 copies is a lot more then bulk runs of
500,000, so why bother? However, if you think there is money to be made
then this would be a good idea for a startup business. Have studios
forward their orders for out of print titles to you, along with a copy
of the master, and custom make new disks.

--
Chris Mack "Refugee, total ****. That's how I've always seen us.
'Invid Fan' Not a help, you'll admit, to agreement between us."
-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS
 
Reply With Quote
 
NYC XYZ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-04-2006

Invid Fan wrote:
>
>
> But it also doesn't make them any money, relatively speaking. The
> per-disk cost of burning 50 copies is a lot more then bulk runs of
> 500,000, so why bother?


If burning DVDs is anything like printing up business cards and
envelopes, I can tell you that if you order a print run of 200
different cards at 10 M ("M" for "mille," or a thousand) each, it's not
much more, if anything at all, to have an extra six or so cards at only
1M each.

> However, if you think there is money to be made
> then this would be a good idea for a startup business. Have studios
> forward their orders for out of print titles to you, along with a copy
> of the master, and custom make new disks.


Which is why I have to agree with the other poster that it's probably a
matter of legal rights -- of which situation I'm reminded by your
suggestion, because the studios surely would not license such rights
(infringement issues, for one thing).

Besides, it's still cheaper for them to keep fifty or so discs around
than for any one else to start up a whole business, even without a
storefront and a staff of just one.

Damn, why are the dreck still available for purchase by the
unsuspecting!

> --
> Chris Mack "Refugee, total ****. That's how I've always seen us.
> 'Invid Fan' Not a help, you'll admit, to agreement between us."
> -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS


 
Reply With Quote
 
Roy L. Fuchs
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-04-2006
On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 11:14:58 -0500, Invid Fan <(E-Mail Removed)>
Gave us:


>But it also doesn't make them any money, relatively speaking. The
>per-disk cost of burning 50 copies is a lot more then bulk runs of
>500,000, so why bother?



"Bulk runs" As you call them are not burned either. Studio discs
are STAMPED. Anyone that would call burned discs a production method
ain't real bright, and is certainly pirating (referring to the other
ding dong).

There ARE inventories of discontinued discs around, but they are NOT
for sale. I'd bet that Criterion still has several hundred copies of
SOTL around. Do you know what that disc sells for on ebay? Even used?

> However, if you think there is money to be made
>then this would be a good idea for a startup business. Have studios
>forward their orders for out of print titles to you, along with a copy
>of the master, and custom make new disks.


You cannot burn the same disc that got stamped. They are two
entirely different sessions.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Justin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-04-2006
NYC XYZ wrote on [4 Jan 2006 08:55:40 -0800]:
>
> Invid Fan wrote:
>>
>>
>> But it also doesn't make them any money, relatively speaking. The
>> per-disk cost of burning 50 copies is a lot more then bulk runs of
>> 500,000, so why bother?

>
> If burning DVDs is anything like printing up business cards and
> envelopes, I can tell you that if you order a print run of 200
> different cards at 10 M ("M" for "mille," or a thousand) each, it's not
> much more, if anything at all, to have an extra six or so cards at only
> 1M each.


You don't burn DVDs, you produce them. Burning is what you do at home,
they are pressed in large numbers

>> However, if you think there is money to be made
>> then this would be a good idea for a startup business. Have studios
>> forward their orders for out of print titles to you, along with a copy
>> of the master, and custom make new disks.

>
> Which is why I have to agree with the other poster that it's probably a
> matter of legal rights -- of which situation I'm reminded by your
> suggestion, because the studios surely would not license such rights
> (infringement issues, for one thing).
>
> Besides, it's still cheaper for them to keep fifty or so discs around
> than for any one else to start up a whole business, even without a
> storefront and a staff of just one.


if those 50 sell, what do they do, press 10 more?

> Damn, why are the dreck still available for purchase by the
> unsuspecting!


Different companies produce different product under different business
models. The Wings of Honneamise (I know I have spelt that incorrectly)
is produced by Manga, I believe, not a company known for producing
quality work on DVD.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Roy L. Fuchs
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-04-2006
On 4 Jan 2006 08:55:40 -0800, "NYC XYZ" <(E-Mail Removed)>
Gave us:

>cards at 10 M ("M" for "mille," or a thousand)



In the industrial world "M" is one million. It is the abbreviation
for Mega, not mille. mill is a small m and stands for one thousandth.
k stands for kilo and is one thousand.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Advertisments