Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Copying Laserdisc onto DVD

Copying Laserdisc onto DVD

Tony

Just got a Pioneer DVD recorder. Should I be able to backup my
laserdiscs to DVD or will the "copy protection" prevent this? I ask
as the laserdiscs contain no copy protection system that I am aware
of. Do I need additional hardware?

Roy L. Fuchs

On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 20:31:01 -0700, Tony <(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:

>Just got a Pioneer DVD recorder. Should I be able to backup my
>laserdiscs to DVD or will the "copy protection" prevent this? I ask
>as the laserdiscs contain no copy protection system that I am aware
>of. Do I need additional hardware?

Earlier disc didn't. Later discs had MV on them IIRC.

I would use a PC to grab the output and create a master video file. I
would not try to make a direct recording. This is better if you need
to turn or switch discs. You'll be able to edit the masters into a
single file free of breaks.

vidrare

Laserdiscs never had a "copy guard" so copy away.
news(E-Mail Removed)...

xeaglecrest@att.net

Tony wrote:

> Just got a Pioneer DVD recorder. Should I be able to backup my
> laserdiscs to DVD or will the "copy protection" prevent this? I ask
> as the laserdiscs contain no copy protection system that I am aware
> of. Do I need additional hardware?

Also, the signal from the disc starts out as composite and get
upconverted to S-video. You will need to do a test to see which cable
gives a better picture on your setup. In my case, I get a better
picture when using the yellow video cable rather than the S-video
connector. My digital converter does a better job of the upconverting
than the LD player does.

Tony

Thanks to all for your responses. Got it working.

On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 20:31:01 -0700, Tony <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Just got a Pioneer DVD recorder. Should I be able to backup my
>laserdiscs to DVD or will the "copy protection" prevent this? I ask
>as the laserdiscs contain no copy protection system that I am aware
>of. Do I need additional hardware?

Jeff Rife

Roy L. Fuchs ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote in alt.video.dvd:
> On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 20:31:01 -0700, Tony <(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:
>
> >Just got a Pioneer DVD recorder. Should I be able to backup my
> >laserdiscs to DVD or will the "copy protection" prevent this? I ask
> >as the laserdiscs contain no copy protection system that I am aware
> >of. Do I need additional hardware?

> Earlier disc didn't. Later discs had MV on them IIRC.

Look, stop posting so much stupidity. Even a trivial Google search
verifies that you are wrong here, like most of your other posts.

No laserdisc had Macrovision, as that part of the vertical blanking
interval (which is where Macrovision exists) is used for other purposes
on laserdiscs (to control the player with automatic "pause" and "play"
commands).

It would have been possible to have a laserdisc *player* create Macrovision
(like DVD players do), but that would require some special flag on
protected discs as well, so older discs could never be protected, and
players without this feature would never emit Macrovision.

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/Dilbert/TechSupport.gif

Roy L. Fuchs

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 12:31:18 -0500, Jeff Rife <(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:

> like most of your other posts.

**** you, jack-off boy.

Richard C.

news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just got a Pioneer DVD recorder. Should I be able to backup my
> laserdiscs to DVD or will the "copy protection" prevent this? I ask
> as the laserdiscs contain no copy protection system that I am aware
> of. Do I need additional hardware?

=======================================
Laser disc has no copy protection.
Copy via S-Video and you will have a great quality DVD.

unclejr

Richard C. wrote:
> Laser disc has no copy protection.
> Copy via S-Video and you will have a great quality DVD.

That, of course, depends upon the quality of the comb filter of your
capture card vs. the comb filter of the LD player. Other than the very
high-end player, most LD players have very poor comb filters. So, I
would recommend recording with both the s-video and the composite and
doing the requisite A/B comparison.

HTH,

-Junior

JACK HATCHER JACK HATCHER is offline
Junior Member

I'm confused....is some sort of decoder needed to copy the "later" laser discs? And, is there any way to recognize what a "later" laser disc is?